AiO Water Cooling

Soldato
I've been using a AIO (ok CLC if you like :)) cooler for the last year and a half and I'm impressed by it. It seems the vast majority of people who use them are also happy with theirs.

For some reason Doyll has been on an anti AIO/CLC crusade for years, posting the same stuff all over the internet. :confused:

Soldato
I've been using a AIO (ok CLC if you like :)) cooler for the last year and a half and I'm impressed by it. It seems the vast majority of people who use them are also happy with theirs.

For some reason Doyll has been on an anti AIO/CLC crusade for years, posting the same stuff all over the internet. :confused:

Yeh, gets a bit wearing after time, constantly banging on about how noisy AIO/CLC's are.

I'm on my second AIO so not a great sample admittedly, but both of them have/had inaudible pumps.

My current Cooler Master Seidon keeps my [email protected] nice and cool and quiet, never going above 60+/- C.

Not bad for £50.

Soldato
Yeh, gets a bit wearing after time, constantly banging on about how noisy AIO/CLC's are.

I'm on my second AIO so not a great sample admittedly, but both of them have/had inaudible pumps.

My current Cooler Master Seidon keeps my [email protected] nice and cool and quiet, never going above 60+/- C.

Not bad for £50.

Yes, it sure does get a bit wearing.

I have a similar AIO to you - a Cooler Master Nepton 240m. Temps are similar to yours - my 4690k @ 4.6GHz never goes much above 60C during normal use including Cinebench and very rarely above 50C during gaming (usually low-mid 40's). Noise isn't an issue either because of the PWM fans I have on the radiator. And they look awesome too IMO, especially in smaller cases.

Computer
by Box with a button, on Flickr

I have no problem recommending them.

Soldato
Doyll obviously hates CLC lol

Only bants....
Naah, I don't hat CLCs, I'm just smart enough to not fall for all the Carnie Barker hype about them. CLCs are just not the logical choice based on price, performance, noise levels and dependability. Users making purchase based on knowledge and using facts instead of fiction will choose air cooling over CLC .. because CLCs don't cool any better than good air, cost much more than good air cooling, make more noise than good air cooling and don't last anywhere near as long as good air cooling does.

Soldato
I've never really understood why how your PC looks is so important... Do you really sit there admiring it?

Weight of a cooler makes no odds. Blocking ram is an issue, so obviously you need to actually do some measurements to ensure it's not an issue.

Associate
I've never really understood why how your PC looks is so important... Do you really sit there admiring it?

Weight of a cooler makes no odds. Blocking ram is an issue, so obviously you need to actually do some measurements to ensure it's not an issue.

Why would you build something and not want to make it look good? If its hiden under a desk yeah who cares but if its sat next to you and you've spent a **** ton of money on it then yeah you want it to look good

Soldato
Why would you build something and not want to make it look good? If its hiden under a desk yeah who cares but if its sat next to you and you've spent a **** ton of money on it then yeah you want it to look good

Perhaps, but as a focus over what it's actually supposed to do? And even with it on the desk next to me, I'm looking at the monitor, not the machine. I'd rather spend money making it work well, and last, rather than spending on RGB etc.

EDIT - If anything, the extra lights, flashing etc, is more distracting for me to be honest.

Soldato

Not bad for £50.

On your second CLC in how many years? How much did each cost? I'm guessing more than a top tier air cooler that was available when you got your first CLC for one and you done bought 2 now. Some of the best air coolers in the £45-65 range. Worst case is you might need a couple good case fans so add in another £16-36 or a total of £61-100 for cooling that will be good 6-8 years easily and more with new fans an maybe a cooler mount update.

Use CLCs if you want, that's all fine and good. We all like different things. What I don't like is people making false claims of how CLCs are better and the best thing to get. I used to run custom loops and still have one, but don't try and convince people to get one because they are way more expensive and not everyone what to put the time into building one, let alone service it every year to 18 months. But if you want the best and quietest cooling custom loop is it, but it is also many times more expensive.

Associate
Yes, it sure does get a bit wearing.

I have a similar AIO to you - a Cooler Master Nepton 240m. Temps are similar to yours - my 4690k @ 4.6GHz never goes much above 60C during normal use including Cinebench and very rarely above 50C during gaming (usually low an issue either because of the PWM fans I have on the radiator. And they look awesome too IMO, especially in smaller cases.

Computer
by Box with a button, on Flickr

I have no problem recommending them.
w
Looks nice which case is it

Soldato
On your second CLC in how many years? How much did each cost? I'm guessing more than a top tier air cooler that was available when you got your first CLC for one and you done bought 2 now. Some of the best air coolers in the £45-65 range. Worst case is you might need a couple good case fans so add in another £16-36 or a total of £61-100 for cooling that will be good 6-8 years easily and more with new fans an maybe a cooler mount update.

Use CLCs if you want, that's all fine and good. We all like different things. What I don't like is people making false claims of how CLCs are better and the best thing to get. I used to run custom loops and still have one, but don't try and convince people to get one because they are way more expensive and not everyone what to put the time into building one, let alone service it every year to 18 months. But if you want the best and quietest cooling custom loop is it, but it is also many times more expensive.

They are not false claims. You have been presented with evidence of AIO/CLC coolers outperforming air coolers both on here and on other forums which you choose to ignore, preferring instead to keep barking your same "air cooler good, CLC cooler bad" mantra over & over at anyone who dares ask a CPU cooling question.

w
Looks nice which case is it

Thanks. It's a Corsair Carbide Air 240. A cracking little case (but check GPU card height and CPU cooler clearances before buying).

Last edited:
Soldato
They are not false claims. You have been presented with evidence of AIO/CLC coolers outperforming air coolers both on here and on other forums which you choose to ignore, preferring instead to keep barking your same "air cooler good, CLC cooler bad" mantra over & over at anyone who dares ask a CPU cooling question.
Unless the testing shows air temp into cooler and radiator or at least done on an open bench test stations the results are not how well each cooler is performing but how the entire system is performing .. so unless you have an identical system your results will likely be very different.

It's very easy for statistics / data to be be manipulated, especially when the testing procedure is given in detail. The reviews you posted do not give the necessary testing procedure details needed to lend credibility to the result, and that's assuming their testing procedure is much more comprehensive than what is included in the review, which is highly unlikely.

Soldato
Unless the testing shows air temp into cooler and radiator or at least done on an open bench test stations the results are not how well each cooler is performing but how the entire system is performing .. so unless you have an identical system your results will likely be very different.

It's very easy for statistics / data to be be manipulated, especially when the testing procedure is given in detail. The reviews you posted do not give the necessary testing procedure details needed to lend credibility to the result, and that's assuming their testing procedure is much more comprehensive than what is included in the review, which is highly unlikely.

You have been shown test results on identical systems, where a CLC cooler significantly outperformed good air coolers.

Edit: Mods, can I link to a thread on a rival forum?

Last edited:
Associate
Have you watched the OC3D review of the new Corsair coolers? He uses the same test bench as all that are in the chart and will not include those that are under different conditions.

Soldato
You have been shown test results on identical systems.

Edit: Mods, can I link to a thread on a rival forum?
And on that specific system they got those results. Like I said, that is the results on that system, not an accurate test comparing cooler against cooler.
Below is a link to an accurate test system with the results showing how coolers compare to each other without unknown variables.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup/6

Have you watched the OC3D review of the new Corsair coolers? He uses the same test bench as all that are in the chart and will not include those that are under different conditions.
I don't watch reviews. I read reviews looking at test procedure and results comparing similar noise levels to CPU temp. If you can give me a link to written review I will look at it.

Soldato
And on that specific system they got those results. Like I said, that is the results on that system, not an accurate test comparing cooler against cooler.
Below is a link to an accurate test system with the results showing how coolers compare to each other without unknown variables.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup/6

The test was sound and reliable and when he repeated it on a more demanding system the delta increased! I.e. the air coolers performed even worse.

All you do is repeat the same thing over & over based on your own tests and claim "logic and intelligence" when anyone disagrees with you but when presented with evidence to the contrary, and when excuses run out you just scuttle away from the discussion.

I despair thinking how many people have made purchasing decisions based on your advice :(

Back
Top Bottom