4k (XB32) vs 3440x1440 (X34P) Ultra wide

Associate
So instead of spending money going to a 9900k and replacing my case, cooling, etc just for the hell of it, I rather replace my 3008wfp as I recently got BF V and have been enjoying it a lot!

My only game will likely be Battlefield V and I'm sure I'll get around to playing Witcher 3. I have a 2080ti so power isn't an issue.

What I'm after is getting feedback on the experience and high hz monitors.

The Acer XB32 is 4k with G-Sync but only 60hz where as the Ultrawide has G-Sync around 120hz.

I've never had a high hz monitor before. Will the speed and the experience of ultra wide gaming make up for deficiency in resolution from 4k?

Both at X34p and X32 are priced close enough so that's not a factor.

Soldato
Agree with above poster. For me UW is where it's at for gaming.

Plus I wouldn't want to to back to 60Hz or 16:9 ever again.

It's such a personal thing though. If you look at the thread about chasing 4K, there are some saying 4K is king regardless of Hz or rez.

For me it's the opposite.

21:9 > 16:9 and 100+Hz > 60Hz.

Plus 4K requires a lot of power, though at just 60Hz maybe a 2080 Ti will be ok.

Associate
OP
Good to know! @Doug2507

Thanks @Kelt for your feedback also.

Now I'm excited. Coupled with my Odyssey+ replacing the rift, going through quite the visual overhaul. Now I can sit back for 3-4 years while HDR on the PC becomes respectable and there's a notable jump in IQ like going from Plasma to OLED.

Soldato
Update: order is declined and no one is answering the support line.

Great site.

Ah, that sucks! I think I know which site that is since I almost ordered from there before reading of people having similar experiences. It does have very, very many awful reviews.

Is it still on sale anywhere else? There's still hope of a good Cyber Monday deal I guess. It was down to £630 in four places that I saw on Black Friday and the lead-in to it, so any left over stock could well be discounted again tomorrow. Good luck finding a deal. It is a great piece of kit.

Associate
Another vote for the X34p from me. I picked one up the other day and are absolutely loving it. Keep shopping around, I found mine for £650 from a competitor but they have sold out now.

Associate
OP
Thanks to a non scam site, I got my x34p today.

Initial impressions:
- Out of box settings are all types of awful if you like a calibrated look
- Going from a 2560x1600 to 3440x1440. There's a notable drop in vertical viewing
- The ultrawide does a great job of filling in your peripheral but it will take a little bit to get swing my head to read sides of the screen
- I can see the standard just being side by side app usage and it's perfect for that
- Disabled the LED's at the bottom
- PQ over the Dell 3008 isn't that noticeable honestly
- The jump with going from a Pioneer Kuro Plasma to a LG OLED was much greater
- The PQ comparison to the OLED and the x34p is non existent. They are miles apart
- The 120hz works perfectly and paired with a 2080ti, plenty of horsepower to drive it
- 120hz feels fluid like you're gliding your mouse across the screen. It's very nice
- Did a round of BF5. Enjoyed the UW image as it's like having an imax screen up close!
- Really glad I went with the UW over a 4k as the UW gaming experience is different and immersive in a good way
- Quite disappointed at how far behind the times LCD's are in terms of delivering reference PQ

Last edited:
Soldato
To anyone else considering, I came from an X34 to the 32" XB321 4K... I honestly cannot say I noticed much loss in immersion. 32" 16:9 is only just under 5cm each side in terms of horizontal loss... yes that's not exactly nothing, but sat at average distance, you're not losing a massive amount there. And you're gaining more height. The whole 60Hz vs 120Hz is very subjective thing though... personally, for games that don't rely so heavily on high FPS (Witcher 3 etc), I very much appreciate the super sharp and detailed PQ that 4K offers (a clear difference to me over 1440p), providing you can hit a stable 60FPS. That does require a 1080Ti bare minimum in most games really, and some will even struggle there without settings tweaks. With Forza Horizon 4, I've played that on a 100Hz monitor and while great, it really does look utterly glorious in 4K at a solid 60FPS, and runs super smooth.

When it comes to general productivity and work etc. 4K all the way without a doubt, not that anyone is really disputing that.

Ultimately there isn't really a right or wrong way to go... you kind of have to try both to really know what's right for you. Having done that myself, I wouldn't go back to 1440p now, but I don't play fast twitch shooters. If I did, the higher refresh rate would likely be a big bonus there, certainly when it came to competitive play.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks to a non scam site, I got my x34p today.

Initial impressions:
- Out of box settings are all types of awful if you like a calibrated look
- Going from a 2560x1600 to 3440x1440. There's a notable drop in vertical viewing
- The ultrawide does a great job of filling in your peripheral but it will take a little bit to get swing my head to read sides of the screen
- I can see the standard just being side by side app usage and it's perfect for that
- Disabled the LED's at the bottom
- PQ over the Dell 3008 isn't that noticeable honestly
- The jump with going from a Pioneer Kuro Plasma to a LG OLED was much greater
- The PQ comparison to the OLED and the x34p is non existent. They are miles apart
- The 120hz works perfectly and paired with a 2080ti, plenty of horsepower to drive it
- 120hz feels fluid like you're gliding your mouse across the screen. It's very nice
- Did a round of BF5. Enjoyed the UW image as it's like having an imax screen up close!
- Really glad I went with the UW over a 4k as the UW gaming experience is different and immersive in a good way
- Quite disappointed at how far behind the times LCD's are in terms of delivering reference PQ

Did you calibrate yours in the end? Mine came with the gamma a bit off and (as seems par for the course) way too bright. I played around with some settings on some review sites and ended up with colours, brightness and gamma that are very eye-pleasing (though I've no idea how accurate they are in technical terms). I'm glad there's an option to change the gamma in the OSD, though.

The Dell 3008 is another 8-bit IPS panel isn't it? And a decent one at that? I'd have imagine they'd have similar picture quality, tbh.

I've not experienced an OLED screen yet so no real idea what they're like in comparison. I find it hard to imagine the PQ being a whole lot better but then I probably just don't know what I'm missing. My plasma screen is pretty decent, but it's only 720p so not a fair comparison. What is it about the OLED that stands out as so superior?

I guess it depends what you come from. I came from a 1080p TN panel, which I thought was decent and well-calibrated, but the X34P is in a totally different league in terms of PQ to that. Guess you shouldn't spoil yourself! :)

How's your IPS glow btw? I'm very pleased with how little I notice it given how concerned I'd got after reading online reports. It's definitely there in the bottom left, but really unobtrusive unless I'm leaning forward into the screen in a dark room.

Associate
OP
Did you calibrate yours in the end? Mine came with the gamma a bit off and (as seems par for the course) way too bright. I played around with some settings on some review sites and ended up with colours, brightness and gamma that are very eye-pleasing (though I've no idea how accurate they are in technical terms). I'm glad there's an option to change the gamma in the OSD, though.

The Dell 3008 is another 8-bit IPS panel isn't it? And a decent one at that? I'd have imagine they'd have similar picture quality, tbh.

I've not experienced an OLED screen yet so no real idea what they're like in comparison. I find it hard to imagine the PQ being a whole lot better but then I probably just don't know what I'm missing. My plasma screen is pretty decent, but it's only 720p so not a fair comparison. What is it about the OLED that stands out as so superior?

I guess it depends what you come from. I came from a 1080p TN panel, which I thought was decent and well-calibrated, but the X34P is in a totally different league in terms of PQ to that. Guess you shouldn't spoil yourself! :)

How's your IPS glow btw? I'm very pleased with how little I notice it given how concerned I'd got after reading online reports. It's definitely there in the bottom left, but really unobtrusive unless I'm leaning forward into the screen in a dark room.

I used online settings which made it closer to what I see on the OLED. I don’t plan on a paid calibration since it’s mainly for work productivity and some gaming.

The IPS glow is there. I think there’s an element of confirmation bias or not having anything else to reference when people try to minimize its impact. You can’t get rid of it as it’s inherent to the technology. The thing to watch out for is screen unformity in regards to flashlighting. I’ll do more lights out testing over the weekend.

As for the oled, having perfect blacks, meaning every individual pixel can turn itself off, creates a three dimensional impact to the picture that just doesn’t have an equal. Due to this perfectly black canvas the colors also pop a lot more without being over saturated.

The 120hz smoothness and a IMAX like UW viewing experience are the main positives over the 3008wfp. PQ wise, I’d be lying if I said there was much of a difference. Outside of a technical fault, I’ll keep the X34P until theres a legitimate new technology for PC monitors. Whether that’s OLED or something else with per pixel lighting control.

Associate
Agree with all above. If they come out with a non IPS, 32", 4K, 100hz with proper hdr then I, like many, will be all over it like a rash. Even if it costs 2k, for that one I would bite. Stroll on 5 years. Till that day comes, UW with all of its imperfections will do me fine!

Soldato
I used online settings which made it closer to what I see on the OLED. I don’t plan on a paid calibration since it’s mainly for work productivity and some gaming.

The IPS glow is there. I think there’s an element of confirmation bias or not having anything else to reference when people try to minimize its impact. You can’t get rid of it as it’s inherent to the technology. The thing to watch out for is screen unformity in regards to flashlighting. I’ll do more lights out testing over the weekend.

As for the oled, having perfect blacks, meaning every individual pixel can turn itself off, creates a three dimensional impact to the picture that just doesn’t have an equal. Due to this perfectly black canvas the colors also pop a lot more without being over saturated.

The 120hz smoothness and a IMAX like UW viewing experience are the main positives over the 3008wfp. PQ wise, I’d be lying if I said there was much of a difference. Outside of a technical fault, I’ll keep the X34P until theres a legitimate new technology for PC monitors. Whether that’s OLED or something else with per pixel lighting control.

Thanks for the detail there.

You have piqued my interest in OLED TVs, that's for sure! Our main TV (plasma) is ten years old now and I have been considering an upgrade...

Associate
OP
Thanks for the detail there.

You have piqued my interest in OLED TVs, that's for sure! Our main TV (plasma) is ten years old now and I have been considering an upgrade...

My advice: goto a store that carries the LG OLED’s. Ask them to put the picture mode into “technicolor” instead of whatever god awful store mode the sets are generally defaulted to.

Then view some SDR content on it so you have a like for like comparison. Then enjoy some HDR.

On the 2018 LG OLED’s PQ is exactly the same from C series as above. Only difference is aestechics and audio. So don’t think you’re paying for better PQ with higher end models.

Check out YouTube reviews from HDTVTEST before hand to come up to speed.

Soldato
Ordered a x34p for 630. I assume that's the best deal I'm going to find on this thing?

haha, you bought it at exactly the same place i did, for exact same price (V) its out of stock now though lol
just hoping that my X34 comes with no BLB or i will instantly be sending it back
had bad luck in the past with ACER monitors as they have all exibited awfull BLB or UNIFORMITY. if i do it will be going back and i will wait for the X35

Soldato
Agree with all above. If they come out with a non IPS, 32", 4K, 100hz with proper hdr then I, like many, will be all over it like a rash. Even if it costs 2k, for that one I would bite. Stroll on 5 years. Till that day comes, UW with all of its imperfections will do me fine!

The problem with VA (the only currently viable alternative to IPS, forget TN) is that it suffers from ghosting. Virtually every VA panel has this issue. Even the public sightings of the upcoming 35" 1440p 200Hz FALD HDR Acer X35/Asus PG35VQ monitors are showing signs of it. These most likely will be in that £2K price range. It may be they are working on solving this, hence the massive delay on these, but it's always been a problem inherent to VA, just as IPS glow is with IPS (although that can be signifgicantly improved with a polarizer film but this is never something manufacturers bother to do).

Of course, in a few years I think we will see MicroLED emerge on to the scene, but until then, there will always be a compromise.

Back
Top Bottom