How to retrieve old Wordpress posts?

Associate
A couple of years ago I started a wordpress blog. Never really did much with it and when the first years hosting ended I didn't bother to renew.

Shortly before it ended I downloaded the whole site via FTP so I have a local backup of the root folder containing wp-content, wp-admin etc, and a load of .php files.

Are my old posts located somewhere inside this folder as I can't seem to find them?

Associate
OP
IIRC on my old WP site the SQL data was stored externally.

Yes, from some googling I think this may be the issue. I used Filezilla to connect to the Bluehost account that had the WP site plus a couple of other simple HTML ones, and downloaded the lot. But it looks like the SQL was somewhere else - and as my hosting account is closed I think I've lost it.

Still, not the end of the world. Thanks both for your help.

Soldato
Yep, all posts, page content and other settings are stored in the database rather than files so if you didn't backup the database it's likely to be lost unfortunately.
It's unlikely but possible that the host stored the database backups in your directory so you may have them in your FTP download, also might have had a backup plugin which saved backups. You're probably looking for a .zip or .sql file.

Associate
OP
This is basically what I have backed up but there are no .sql or .zip's inside. I think this is because I manually downloaded via FTP rather than using the backup option in cpanel?

14azj0n.jpg

Soldato
Yep, as I said before, I think it's very unlikely that you would have a backup of the database in there unless you'd intentionally done so.
Check in /wp-content/ and /wp-content/uploads/ to see if there's any folders in there called "backup" or "sql" or something like that.
Also have a look in /wp-content/plugins/ and see if there's any plugins which sound like they might be related to backups and if they have a storage folder for keeping any database backups.

Back
Top Bottom