Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Man of Honour
Well I spent quite some time calibrating it and now it looks almost as good as my P2414H. The viewing angles are still not as good but overall a very good buy considering the prices of the IPS G-Sync Monitors. I can say they are not worth it at all after adjusting the colour profile.

Yeah they calibrate decently - I have no idea what AUO were thinking with the out the box gamma* - but at the end of the day it is a gaming TN,

* Though with their gaming BenQ monitors they make a big thing of their Black eQualizer features so it might be optimised to support that :s

Associate
So I noticed something weird regarding this monitor. When gaming, there is a faint grid like pattern which appears when in motion. It disappears the moment I stop ingame. Its kind of like this.

file.php

Mine is much fainter than this. Its hard to capture on camera as that grid only appears when in motion. Is it normal?

Man of Honour
Hmm not seen it with the Dell but "screen door" inversion artefacts were a well known issue with 144Hz panels earlier on - I had it a bit in certain games on my first ROG Swift but not seen it on any newer ones.

EDIT: What setting are you using for response time in the OSD? Normal is actually better (overall) than fast with less chance of issues like that happening.

Associate
I noticed that when I set the response time to fast that text was ghosting when scrolling through the internetz. It stopped as soon as i switched back to normal.

Associate
Hmm not seen it with the Dell but "screen door" inversion artefacts were a well known issue with 144Hz panels earlier on - I had it a bit in certain games on my first ROG Swift but not seen it on any newer ones.

EDIT: What setting are you using for response time in the OSD? Normal is actually better (overall) than fast with less chance of issues like that happening.
Response time is set to normal. I think I will get it exchanged. Now that I have noticed it, I keep seeing it.

Associate
I've got this monitor connected to a laptop with Intel hd graphics, and haven't been able to calibrate with the Nvidia settings people are posting. There's no option for gamma correction or full dynamic range that people are suggesting, and I've tried about a dozen ICC profiles, things still look washed out or dull. The whites aren't as white, and it feels like there is a slight f.lux tint no matter what I try, whether it be OSD or the Win10 calibration.

As a bit of background, I had an IPS before that was fine, but wanted a 144hz monitor for gaming. When it's connected to my PC it's fine, as I can adjust it with the Nvidia control panel. But connected to my Surface, it's a pretty big difference when looking at that screen vs this one.

Do I have any options here, or do I have to return it and wait for a deal on a 144hz IPS instead?

Soldato
So it looks crap when displaying your laptop? it makes sense there is no nvidia control panel you said it's an Intel GPU.

If it looks fine on your PC then your monitor is okay and your laptop is the issue.

Associate
Hey guys, just got one of these today, i noticed my windows toolbar on the bottom of the screen has this odd look to it, its not a flat colour and kind of blocky? any idea why?

RNUgvjMl.jpg

Associate
Hi all, after a bit of advice.

I have had this monitor a little over 2 years so still in warranty. It has developed a weird white wavy line at the bottom where the task bar is (task bar made bigger in pictures so you can see clearly).

I have spoke to Dell and they will replace, however I will get a refurbished model and they cannot guarantee what revision I will get. I know of the issues for revision A01 to A03 and banding etc on earlier revisions.

Now the white line seems to have widened but in doing so has faded significantly, what do you think I should do here? I don't want an older, problematic revision. This one is an A04.

IMG-20190109-190412.jpg
IMG-20190109-190426.jpg

Man of Honour

I have had this monitor a little over 2 years so still in warranty. It has developed a weird white wavy line at the bottom where the task bar is (task bar made bigger in pictures so you can see clearly).

I have spoke to Dell and they will replace, however I will get a refurbished model and they cannot guarantee what revision I will get. I know of the issues for revision A01 to A03 and banding etc on earlier revisions.

Now the white line seems to have widened but in doing so has faded significantly, what do you think I should do here? I don't want an older, problematic revision. This one is an A04.

IMG-20190109-190412.jpg
IMG-20190109-190426.jpg

Looks like a type of burn in - I've had more minor instances of it if I leave an image statically on the panel for >24 hours on the boundaries of bits that have high contrast black<>white I suspect the G-Sync predictive overdrive is pushing it too hard.

Soldato

IMG-20190109-190412.jpg
IMG-20190109-190426.jpg

Get the refurb. If it has issues deemed too bad, then send it back for another until you get an acceptable one.

The refurb will be a newer panel (under 1 year) anyway.

Associate
Looks like a type of burn in - I've had more minor instances of it if I leave an image statically on the panel for >24 hours on the boundaries of bits that have high contrast black<>white I suspect the G-Sync predictive overdrive is pushing it too hard.

Well I can't understand what could burn in, the taskbar is always there so it is a flat colour, when gaming the image is always moving. I also have had Gsync turned off for most the ownership as found it buggy. Strange one.

Get the refurb. If it has issues deemed too bad, then send it back for another until you get an acceptable one.

The refurb will be a newer panel (under 1 year) anyway.

If it us under 1 year old I don't mind that. They could not confirm this though which worries me, thank you I think I will get the refurb sent out!

Soldato
They have offered me full refund or a replacement for the banding issue. Not sure where to go next.

You've had the monitor for slightly over two years. The warranty applies to your original purchase not to the date a replacement arrives. So less than a year left on warranty.

With full refund you can get a new monitor, even if the same model, and a new 3 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom