RDR 2, just how bad is it for older kids?

Associate
Hey,

I was hoping to get my hands on the Spiderman PS4 bundle but it had sold out everywhere, I've ended up with the RDR 2 bundle instead. I was planning on telling him that he can trade it at the local game shop and choose something else as he's 12 but after reading online, it doesn't sound all that bad - very little sex/nudity if any which was my main concern. It sounds like it has it's fair share of swearing but that's not an issue.

Any thoughts from people here that have played it a fair bit?

Cheers

Caporegime
Some fairly graphic kills but probably nothing he hasn't seen before. It's not too bad Imo, probably the language and the references to racism and inbreeding being the biggest concern for kids!

Soldato
There's been very little nudity but it is very violent and pretty dark in places. There's some racism but it's painted in a negative light so I wouldn't worry too much about that side but I'd certainly check youtube for some of the slow-mo kill shots. There are also hangings, headshots, etc as well as plenty of swearing.

Personally I'd probably hold off a year or two but it very much depends what your kid is like and your own parenting. I took my 7 year old to see the recent Star Wars films and she loved them so there'll be no judgement from me either way :)

Associate
Swearing? I'm 150 hours in and I honestly can't remember hearing any "swear words"

The graphic gutting and skinning of animals and the animation of a clean head shot to a bad guy would cause me more concern, if I was a parent (not wanting them to grow up thinking it was like, normal )

Associate
OP
Thanks for the all replies, doesn't sound too bad then. I originally assumed it was going to be similar to GTA, surprising that they've made it a fair bit tamer.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it's tamer. It's still essentially a crime simulator, just like GTA. The point of the game is to gallop around and murder people.

It's a little less crass and in your face, but still, hookers, graphic violence, excessive drinking, bad language. Same old stuff, just in a different setting.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it's tamer. It's still essentially a crime simulator, just like GTA. The point of the game is to gallop around and murder people.

It's a little less crass and in your face, but still, hookers, graphic violence, excessive drinking, bad language. Same old stuff, just in a different setting.

Am I missing something? Hookers??? I know you can have an assisted bath but that's about all I got. :eek:

Soldato
Am I missing something? Hookers??? I know you can have an assisted bath but that's about all I got. :eek:

Right at the beginning of the game (for me anyway) you take a wagon of women into town, where it's then made clear they're hookers and you play out a quest that has you busting into a hotel room and beating up the john.

Soldato
Right at the beginning of the game (for me anyway) you take a wagon of women into town, where it's then made clear they're hookers and you play out a quest that has you busting into a hotel room and beating up the john.

LOL I never got that mission.. The only one remotely like that is the Braithwait mission with the suffragette. I know there are bits where you hear things like some random woman saying "oooh I would like to spend a night with that"...

And there is the bit with the woman whos husband you rough up for the loan money and then she goes on a downward spiral

But none really that you can "Interact" with..

Associate
LOL I never got that mission.. The only one remotely like that is the Braithwait mission with the suffragette. I know there are bits where you hear things like some random woman saying "oooh I would like to spend a night with that"...

And there is the bit with the woman whos husband you rough up for the loan money and then she goes on a downward spiral

But none really that you can "Interact" with..

There’s no way you never got that mission, it’s the nearest story mission when you first take control at the first camp I think, you take Uncle and the girls sing on the way to Valentine, and you ride after Jimmy Brooks when he recognises Arthur from Blackwater. It’s the mission that can cause the bug where some of the characters disappear from the camp till chapter 4 if you fail the mission and reload from the checkpoint instead of the beginning of the mission.

Caporegime
There’s a mission where you literally walk in on two people shagging, it’s with beer goggles on and pretty brief but it’s there

Not sure how you feel about your 12 old playing that.

Caporegime

you say it isn't tamer. but in GTA you get to bang the hookers.

whereas in this one you get to help them out of messy situations.

i would call that tamer but what do i know?

the game is definitely 100% tamer than GTA. i can't mow down 100 people within 15 seconds using a supercar. i cant also mow 100 down people using an automatic machine gun within 2 minutes either.

it's a lot tamer than saints row as well IMO.

Caporegime
its not right to let primary school children play 18 certificate games

games aren't to blame for anything. it's poor education and parenting in most cases.

most kids these days have mobile phones, tablets, laptops with access to the internet. so they have been exposed to much worse than what is in an 18 video game

Associate
games aren't to blame for anything. it's poor education and parenting in most cases.

most kids these days have mobile phones, tablets, laptops with access to the internet. so they have been exposed to much worse than what is in an 18 video game

that's what parental setting are for , but you not having children might not know that ?

Back
Top Bottom