Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I'm with Economy Energy and I've been reading that they may be in a bad way. The problem for me is that I'm in credit to about £500+ !

What will happen if they go bust ? Also can I cancel my next DD ?
You'll likely lose that £500 if they go bust. I'd look to extract it one way or another. Reduce your monthly payments down to nothing, or leave.

Soldato
I'm with Economy Energy and I've been reading that they may be in a bad way. The problem for me is that I'm in credit to about £500+ !

What will happen if they go bust ? Also can I cancel my next DD ?

Stop your DDs now if I were you.

They can't chase you if you're in credit anyway and they're bad enough at paying people what they owe even while they're operating.

However don't the Ombudsman appoint another energy company to take over people's accounts if a company fails? I thought Scottish Power were just given a small supplier's customer base when they failed.

Edit: yes they were and all credit balances will be honoured. Though don't expect Economy Energy to have your account in order.

https://utilityweek.co.uk/scottish-power-takes-extra-energys-customers/

Associate
Just read this:

’m in credit to my old supplier. Will I get this money back?
Hide
Your new supplier will pay back the outstanding credit you may have.

Once we have appointed the new supplier, they will contact you to explain how this will work. Costs for energy you have used but have not yet been billed for will be deducted from your account balance.

Our advice is to take a meter reading and a note of your account balance if you know it, and to wait for them to get in touch with you.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/...net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Or someone has just done really well out of referrals.

But yes, they're still crooks. I was reading a post in GD ages ago about how gas prices were at some point this year the same as they were many years ago, but we certainly don't seem to be paying the same. Might even have been Mr.E actually.

Soldato
I dont like how they hold such a credit, so this time i'm altering my DD constantly to keep the credit as low as possible even slightly in debit over winter slight credit over summer.

At the minute my DD is set to £10 a month while i use up the £174 credit. I would rather on swapping or closing owe them rather than them owing me.

Man of Honour
The switch to Outfox so far has gone well. I'm not overly happy about the change in DD though, I'd rather pay the same all year around. I know my usage, I've been in the house for nearly 4 years now and it's pretty much the same each year.

I do wish they'd fix their website though, it looks ridiculous.

Associate
Or someone has just done really well out of referrals.

No referrals from me :p I started my contract in May this year so had the summer to build up some credit, Economy also take a double payment right at the start.

Wholesale oil prices today are at the level they were in April this year, so they've a long way to go yet to get a big saving on your home bills.

Associate
Been paying about £90 month for both gas and electricity over the last 3 odd years.

Luckily checked the bank for something ,and spotted the price increase , it is now £145 a month was not told I ower £340 just nicely sprung it on me, it's down to the cold spell last year, think times are changing guys.

Thanks co operative for not telling me i have been under paying the last year or so. Usually on top of the game but this had me this time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just had this from Outfox:

The last two weeks have been difficult for both Outfox the Market and our valued customers. It is evident that we have made some decisions that have proved unpopular and we are sorry for any undue worry we may have caused. Whilst we can appreciate your frustrations, these changes have been unavoidable and introduced in a bid to keep your prices as low as possible.

The energy market continues to face challenges, this week two independent suppliers have been forced to cease trading, joining five other companies who have folded since the start of the year.

Wholesale energy prices have risen exponentially throughout 2018 and for this reason we are unable to sustain our current pricing model. Therefore, we will be implementing further changes to react to the energy market environment. These changes are detailed below.

From 1st January 2019 your electricity unit rate will change from £0.1144/kWh to £0.1339/kWh.

Your gas unit rate will change from £0.0361/kWh to £0.0419/kWh

Your monthly membership fee will be replaced by a daily standing charge of 28p per fuel.

Looks like I will be looking for another provider. Any suggestions?

Soldato
damn, that's a big hike and not very competative anymore. I guess they are loosing money hand over fist right now.

Just look on MSE cheap energy club and go with the cheapest.

Man of Honour
I would switch to PP, as I use more leccy than gas. The only thing that concerns me is that the switch to OF from Breeze hasn't yet completed.

Man of Honour
I can get BG fixed for a year at £79 a month which includes boiler cover. I'm quite tempted to switch to that rather than faffing around with variable tariff's all the time. I'm currently paying around £65 a month.

Associate
Just had an email from Outfox, they are putting prices up again. When I signed up in July, electricity was 10.67p/kWh, from 1st January it will be 13.29p/kWh. We're first time buyers so this is all new to me but this strikes me as a large increase? Brand new house, 4 bed detached and only two of us. Because it's energy efficient, I am not bothered about gas price, much more interested in Electricity. I've rented before for years but my housemate sorted out water/gas/elec so I didn't pay it much attention. I naively thought that the price would be fixed? Annoying but I am guessing it's time to switch?

Back
Top Bottom