Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Yesterday, I had a chili burger at Honest (Bank) and it was awesome.

I also tried Five Guys for the first time the other week. It's now a box that has been ticked and nothing more. :p

Soldato
I also tried Five Guys for the first time the other week. It's now a box that has been ticked and nothing more. :p

I don’t get the love for five guys either, the foods ok but the prices are just crazy for what amounts to a posh McDonald’s. £5 each for some simple fries is outrageous, as is £5 for a milkshake that comes from a soft serve machine. McDonald’s make a mint of those machines charging half that, it’s a licence to print money for five guys.

Places like Honest are a very similar price point, tastes better and is served to you on a plate.

Though anacdotally I don’t think they are doing that well in a lot of locations, most I walk past are not anything like as busy they were 2 years ago.

Soldato
For me, Five Guys is really tasty, but not worthy of the price seeing as I find it only a bit better than Burger King. I hadn't been for a long time, but I went the other week, looked at the menu, realised what i wanted would be about 20 quid and ended up going to Mission Burrito.

I love Gourmet Burger though, with the app it seems me or the missus usually have a voucher for a freebie and now you can order from your table at pretty much any location its great for a quick convenient bite.

Soldato
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like Brioche buns. A few places now I have asked them to replace them with standard buns, and they look at me like I'm stupid.
I find then far too sweet.

Associate
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like Brioche buns. A few places now I have asked them to replace them with standard buns, and they look at me like I'm stupid.
Think you are mate. Brioche Buns are awesome. I think the sweet, buttery taste goes well with juiciness of the burger. But that's just my preference.

Soldato
I'm a big fan of Brioche buns for the most part with burgers. I did have a burger from the work canteen the other day in a brioche bun and it was probably the sweetest one I've had with a burger which IMO was too much. On the flip side Patty and Bun burgers are in Brioche buns and they are my all time favourite. The level of sweet in the bun compliments the burger and toppings so well.

When I do burgers at home we use Sainsburys taste the difference brioche buns and they have a nice balance as well I find. Paired with the a couple of smashed patties, cheese and streaky bacon with a burger sauce. Awesome :D

Soldato
Maybe its more that in general i don't eat sweet things, i don't put sugar in or on anything. So when you say you didn't like the overly sweet one from work, they all taste like that for me.

Very very rare i have a burger at home, what we do have a fair bit is the actual meat as a kebab with salad. The bread adds nothing for me, but i love a good burger patty.

Soldato

Finally, a true believer! Me and the missus cannot stand this brioche buns. Many restaurants don't offer an alternative

Soldato
Maybe its more that in general i don't eat sweet things, i don't put sugar in or on anything. So when you say you didn't like the overly sweet one from work, they all taste like that for me.

Very very rare i have a burger at home, what we do have a fair bit is the actual meat as a kebab with salad. The bread adds nothing for me, but i love a good burger patty.
Ah ok I see, well in that case I can understand if you aren't into sweet things in general.

My favourite way to have a burger bun is toasted. If I've cooked bacon then toasting the bun in the fat from the bacon is a very tasty way of doing it. Otherwise a little coat of butter and a trip into the pan is a good alternative. I find that with the bun toasted it adds a nice crunch and also warms it up and softens it a bit as well. Cold, uncooked buns are a definite no no for me and can ruin an otherwise good burger.

Caporegime
The bread plays a key role in a good burger. I hear all these reviews of great burger places and when i look them up on Tripadvisor all I see are generic supermarket bought buns that isn't toasted and they also look really thick and heavy. Each half are so thick that it could be sliced again in half and be the right proportions.

Back
Top Bottom