GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I totally missed that message till now :p

I've had a nosey under the bonet and it appears they ran out of paint during the construction. Solar Orange is so limited they didn't use it in the engine bay. What is that all about!? :rolleyes:

On a positive I still love my car. Still getting to grips with driving a rear wheel, haven't messed with the traction control options either yet or if I'm honest had the car sideways as the electronics jump in quite harshly to get you straight again at the slightest hint of a rear wiggle. Will have to figure out which modes do what when I have some quiet "private road" ahem.

My only real niggle is the lack of sound out of the exhaust... Oh and the stereo. So plan is to get a cat back and a panel filter and sort the stereo ofter that.

Can anyone recommend a cat back? I will be going catless UEL and remap in the future but not while I have so muck warranty. I like the blue burnt titanium style but it's not a deal breaker. Have seen the Invidia Q300 - apparently it's tame on a standard car but great when the UEL goes on. Also looked at Cobra and saw some people here mention RRG Macclesfield fitting non Toyota parts. I'm guessing it's a dealer lots recommend?

As for audio - what are people doing there to make it sound better? Head unit upgrade? Speaker upgrade? I've seen the Oem+ system from across the pond. Seems awesome.

ANYWAY this post is getting long :D

Alex

The engine bay thing tickled me, all of them are like it. Bit naughty really but I suppose it's a way of them using up older shells.

Exhaust as mentioned is something to be very, very careful with. These cars get VERY loud without too much effort to the point where you'll get chucked off track days. :D Obviously certain exhausts are louder than others, but you need to research this carefully and think about your longer term goals. I have a Cobra resonated catback - quite a few people dislike these for a number of reasons (not the prettiest of welds and even the resonated is pretty loud), but they're lightweight and fairly cheap since they're made in the UK. You don't have any issues with welds cracking (cough Milltek), they have a lifetime warranty and they do provide a small power increase unlike some of the others which cost about 1200 quid and don't add any power (I'm looking at you HKS). But as said they are loud, to the point of being possibly annoying to some. When I just had the catback it was about right, throaty but not droney. With a 1st defat, over pipe and UEL manifold, it's right at the point of being silly now. WOT is properly silly at higher RPM and I can imagine this not being for everyone. So be honest, if you're thinking manifold and remap later on, do yourself a favour and consider resonated catbacks at the very least.

It's worth clarifying, when I say research I mean going to a meet and actually listening first hand to a few cars. You can't judge exhausts well by Youtube videos since the dynamic compression of the audio makes them all sound broadly similar in volume, and that's before we've even got into microphone quality, placement etc.

RRG Macc fit aftermarket stuff yes - they'll do pretty much everything apart from remaps. It does effect your warranty officially if it can be proven that the aftermarket part caused the failure. In practice though, most of what they fit isn't going to cause a failure. They also have a trading agreement with Fensport, so they can get anything in Fensport sell which is handy if you're not in the eastern side of the country.

Speakers and proper high end audio in an 86 is a bit of a waste imho. Due to the lack of sound deadening spending loads on speakers is a bit of a waste since road noise masks much of the improvement. As said the Focal direct fits are a good compromise between price/quality/improvements but much beyond that and you need to really think about lining the doors, rear arches etc which can add some serious weight. Personally that's not a compromise I'm willing to make, but can appreciate to some it's more of a priority. :)

Soldato
At least they painted everywhere though, even behind the dash.

On many modern cars (including so called "premium" brands) you can even lift up carpets and see a thin layer of primer :p

Last edited:
Associate
Exhaust as mentioned is something to be very, very careful with. These cars get VERY loud without too much effort to the point where you'll get chucked off track days. :D Obviously certain exhausts are louder than others, but you need to research this carefully and think about your longer term goals. I have a Cobra resonated catback - quite a few people dislike these for a number of reasons (not the prettiest of welds and even the resonated is pretty loud), but they're lightweight and fairly cheap since they're made in the UK. You don't have any issues with welds cracking (cough Milltek), they have a lifetime warranty and they do provide a small power increase unlike some of the others which cost about 1200 quid and don't add any power (I'm looking at you HKS). But as said they are loud, to the point of being possibly annoying to some. When I just had the catback it was about right, throaty but not droney.
The resonated Cobrasport wasn't that bad in quality in my opinion, the welding I thought was quite good. Although mine was fabricated on the day I went to get it fitted at their HQ which took the whole morning to fabricate and install.

Soldato
The resonated Cobrasport wasn't that bad in quality in my opinion, the welding I thought was quite good. Although mine was fabricated on the day I went to get it fitted at their HQ which took the whole morning to fabricate and install.

It's not awful no, but they're very much a functional weld over something done by an experience oil rigger welder which is like a work of art. ;)

Associate
Thanks for the reply! Definitely going to look at changing the exhaust in the new year, either going to give RRG a call or Tuning developments as they are just as local. It just needs a bit more raor :p

Soldato
Mine is going to be have to be changed (upgraded) next year, the OEM exhaust back box is rusting through around the joints. The car will be about 6 years old by then.

Soldato
Just installed the IS165TOY kit while improving the sound proofing within the doors. Still bedding in but they are better than the stock units for the price.

Cobra is a good choice but be very careful with wishing for more noise on an exhaust. I went with a 3" system and loved the noise, still quiet enough to get through Bedford's noise limitations. Once I went catless manifold I was then too loud for any track. Keeping one of the stock cats will help.

How was the kit install (not soundproofing)? Do you need to take the dash off?

Soldato
How was the kit install (not soundproofing)? Do you need to take the dash off?

For the tweeters you'll need to remove the grilles in the dash but not anything else in the dash, use a large flat screwdriver or other robust instrument to gently get between the dash and grille, the dash is quite soft and does spring back into place, the best location on mine was closest to the pillars, get it quite far in and use some force, then move more towards the centre of the car and it should unclip out. It's a lot of grille for such a tiny speaker. The replacement tweeters don't fully clip in to the same slot but didn't find this an issue.

Door is fairly straight forwards considering how much you need to remove to get to it. One plastic trim clip near the mirror, one screw near the lock under a plastic panel, then 2 screws under the internal door handle. Unclip that using leverage from the armrest side and pull up to reveal the 2 screws. Once it's all released start prizing the door card off as it's just clipped on. I find it easier to get fingers in next to the hinge then work downwards (a lot of force needed) but Toyota use trim remover tools and start from the bottom, when the clips are removed you can lift the door card up from the window. It will still be connected to the door by cables for the puddle light, door handle, door lock, window switch and mirror adjustments on drivers side, you might be able to just release the puddle light clip to give some flex then ask someone to hold it while you replace the speaker in the door. It's held in by 3 screws and the speaker wire connected from the door.

The kit is plug and play (wire adapters supplied for tweeters) and probably easy enough to do in a morning. I spent a full day applying 3 layers of soundproofing (25% coverage silentcoat sheet to remove rattles, 10mm closed cell foam on entire panel, then 25mm wadding in the door card).

Associate
Use a resonated catback or it will be to loud if you change anything else.
This is good advice, I have a resonated Tuning Developments exhaust and its obnoxiously loud with my UEL catless manifold so I can't imagine what the non resonated would sound like. When I move to the turbo kit I'm planning on getting another resonator in the decat pipe to get the noise back down.

Soldato
This is good advice, I have a resonated Tuning Developments exhaust and its obnoxiously loud with my UEL catless manifold so I can't imagine what the non resonated would sound like. When I move to the turbo kit I'm planning on getting another resonator in the decat pipe to get the noise back down.

The turbo will in itself reduce exhaust noise - the turbine is spun by the exhaust gas and the blades act to 'baffle' the noise somewhat. You may find there are other loud noises related to the turbo install (recirc gauge, whooshing noises etc :D) but the actual exhaust volume should be reduced a little.

Soldato
I'm looking to replace my exhaust as it's too loud to go on track with (soundproofed inside so no issues there) but struggling to find something off the shelf that is quiet and bolts on to my manifold (header) without a large step down. Most of the local custom places I've tried only want to build off the shelf silencers, not making the most of the space available. Probably should have saved the cash chasing performance on N/A and gone supercharged.

Associate
The turbo will in itself reduce exhaust noise - the turbine is spun by the exhaust gas and the blades act to 'baffle' the noise somewhat. You may find there are other loud noises related to the turbo install (recirc gauge, whooshing noises etc :D) but the actual exhaust volume should be reduced a little.
I'm familiar with turbos:p it will reduce the noise a bit but not enough for me, especially when you consider the decat pipe without a silencer is also removing any volume reduction the cat is doing.

Yeah but the screamer pipe negates that :D
Thankfully they have a plumb back option now, I had a ride in an 86 turbo with a screamer and really didn't like the sound or the volume.

Associate
I'm looking to replace my exhaust as it's too loud to go on track with (soundproofed inside so no issues there) but struggling to find something off the shelf that is quiet and bolts on to my manifold (header) without a large step down. Most of the local custom places I've tried only want to build off the shelf silencers, not making the most of the space available. Probably should have saved the cash chasing performance on N/A and gone supercharged.
What manifold are you running?

Soldato
What manifold are you running?

Currently running:
Cosworth Manifold (decat) with 3" outlet
Cosworth Frontpipe (200CEL Cat) 3" in/out
Cosworth Catback (5 years old) 3" inlet

Ideally I'd like to keep the manifold as that has the largest performance gain, can't drop back to stock for any part of the system as it's all 2.25"

Associate
Currently running:
Cosworth Manifold (decat) with 3" outlet
Cosworth Frontpipe (200CEL Cat) 3" in/out
Cosworth Catback (5 years old) 3" inlet

Ideally I'd like to keep the manifold as that has the largest performance gain, can't drop back to stock for any part of the system as it's all 2.25"

Might be worth trying Hayward and Scott, they seem to be well regarded and have done some impressive custom systems for a few guys in the drivers club. Have you considered just replacing the mid pipe for one with a bigger resonator?

Soldato
I've been out in the H&S modded car as it was been developed (pre and post resonators) but he's still using the stock manifold. It is looking like the best option as they will add silencers everywhere possible. The worrying thing is they claim their exhaust with the 2 stock cats is 88db at 5k RPM for a 2.5" system, mine was 88db at 4.5k RPM on a 3" system with the stock cats, now at ~109 with the manifold so I don't think it's quite enough.

Associate
I've been out in the H&S modded car as it was been developed (pre and post resonators) but he's still using the stock manifold. It is looking like the best option as they will add silencers everywhere possible. The worrying thing is they claim their exhaust with the 2 stock cats is 88db at 5k RPM for a 2.5" system, mine was 88db at 4.5k RPM on a 3" system with the stock cats, now at ~109 with the manifold so I don't think it's quite enough.

Sure, I wasn't suggesting you get Ade's one I was more thinking they would work with you to put something custom together.

Soldato
My vents have started making loud noise, sounds like something is stuck in the fan I think. The sound is a bit like those things kids used to stick on their BMX spokes to make it sound like a motorbike lol

I'm hoping I can just drop the blower out of the housing and remove whatever it is.

Associate
OP
My vents have started making loud noise, sounds like something is stuck in the fan I think. The sound is a bit like those things kids used to stick on their BMX spokes to make it sound like a motorbike lol

I'm hoping I can just drop the blower out of the housing and remove whatever it is.

Did you fix this?

May be similar to this one: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125947

Back
Top Bottom