Upgrade or complete new PC?

Associate
Hello All,
I have the following PC - (See Image below) and I am wanting to upgrade to be able to play new/future game titles (High/Ultra) at 1080/1440p

Would you recommend an upgrade or a complete new system ?

The 7950 was replaced with a GTX 960 4GB as the 7950 became faulty , and when my pc was at my local PC shop it appears they have removed the CPU Overlock , so my CPU is running at default speeds

I have added a 2nd 850Pro 500GB SSD

I currently use 2 Monitors G2450M and my first choice monitor is a Benq XL2420Z (Default Monitor)

I will probably go back to 1 Monitor.

Your thoughts are much appreciated

https://imgur.com/a/VXie70L

Associate
OP
budget and what do you want to do in the future?

Apologies I thought I had put a budget in my post , to be able to run games at High/Ultra 1080p and some titles at 1440p

Budget roughly £1000-1200 , Tower only

Will purchase a monitor for 1440p at a later date , if you could throw some recommendations about a suitable monitor that would be appreciated

Can my current PC spec be upgraded or is a new system ?

Soldato
For those who don't want to click the link the OP has an i5-3570K on a Z77 motherboard and 8 GB RAM.

If the PC is still working, all you really need is a GPU upgrade. New CPUs aren't all that much faster for games (depending upon the game, of course). A GTX 1070 or ti will do you just fine. Putting back the overclock will give you a nice boost too. An additional 8 GB RAM would be nice but not strictly necessary. If you post in the appropriate forum, you'll get some help reinstating the overclock.

Associate
Firstly, getting a mediocre to good overclock is really, really, really easy. Like, reading a guide for 30 mins will give you enough info to do a basic overclock competently, and it's impossible to mess your chip up as all CPUs these days (including yours) have built in auto-throttle/auto-shutdown in case of any issues.

You should be able to get 4.5ghz @ <1.3v on your i5-3570k. You don't really want to go above 1.3v volts.

With the Ryzen 3000 CPU series coming out in likely less than 6 months, and sounding like it will be a significant leap, I don't believe this is the time to get a new system unless you need it. And I don't think an overclocked i5-3570k is at that point, unless you're a competitive gamer requiring pinnacle performance. Even a stock i5-3570k is capable still and enough to warrant holding out 6 months to buy a new system. Typically in the tech world you shouldn't bother to "wait for the next best thing", but in times when the leaps are significant it's worth it.

The ideal thing to do would be to just get a new GPU now, and then get the rest of your system next year and transfer the GPU over. If you're playing at 1080p, an RX580 8gb would be ideal for your system. If you're playing to play at 1440p, I would go with Vega 56. The reason for choosing AMD cards is that the price of a AMD + Freesync monitor is significantly cheaper than Gsync + Nvidia whilst the performance will be toe-to-toe. Doesn't make any sense to go Nvidia unless you already have a Gsync monitor.

Back
Top Bottom