**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Permabanned
In the past, all tyres were all-year. There was no such thing as a "summer" or "winter" tyre.
All-seasons tyres give you many advantages, and more - there are no dedicated winter or summer tyres better than the Michelin Crossclimate. Because the Michelin Crossclimate is the best tyre and you can use it always.

Caporegime
In the past, all tyres were all-year. There was no such thing as a "summer" or "winter" tyre.
All-seasons tyres give you many advantages, and more - there are no dedicated winter or summer tyres better than the Michelin Crossclimate. Because the Michelin Crossclimate is the best tyre and you can use it always.

What?

A Trofeo R has more grip in the summer and dry, a TS 860 is better in the snow.

With an all Season tyre you are sacrificing ultimate performance for all year round usability, it is down to the individual if that sacrifice is worth it, but for someone who wants a winter set of wheels your selection makes little sense.

Soldato

Winter tyres have been around since the 1930s.

Man of Honour

A Cross Climate is never the best tyre you can use, it is simply never the worst. In wintry conditions a winter tyre is better than a cross climate. In dry or warmer wet conditions a uhp summer tyre is better than a cross climate.

Cross climates are a compromise for those who are unwilling or unable to go to the hassle of having dedicated winter and summer tyre setups.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
ContiWinterContacts /thread

@Housey they do UHP variants too, which will suit your MX-5 nicely. I believe TS860S is the latest, not sure on sizes though.

Soldato
A Cross Climate is never the best tyre you can use, it is simply never the worst.

Cross climates are a compromise for those who are unwilling or unable to go to the hassle of having dedicated winter and summer tyre setups.

Sound like the best tyres to have then unless you have two sets of wheels and want to change on what could be an almost daily basis.

But nobody tests tyres at the magically 7c when part worn on a Sunday with 30% of the road being damp so it’s very hard to draw comparisons.

Permabanned
Sound like the best tyres to have then unless you have two sets of wheels and want to change on what could be an almost daily basis.

But nobody tests tyres at the magically 7c when part worn on a Sunday with 30% of the road being damp so it’s very hard to draw comparisons.

The Crossclimate is perhaps at 80-90% of the top performing dedicated tyres. The problem is that the vast majority of people buy two sets of cheap dedicated tyres and confuse themselves that they got the job done.
Once they enter the roads, they are nothing more than ticking bombs.

Soldato
The Crossclimate is perhaps at 80-90% of the top performing dedicated tyres. The problem is that the vast majority of people buy two sets of cheap dedicated tyres and confuse themselves that they got the job done.
Once they enter the roads, they are nothing more than ticking bombs.

If you have decided you need winter tyres and gone out to buy a second set of wheels and go along with the hassle then surely you’d put decent ones on.

It’s the people who will rush out when it snows and come back with two linglong snowpro 4s fitted to the front only that’s the worry.

Man of Honour
Happy so far with the F1A3's on the Focus ST. More grip, less noise, much better steering feel, more rim protection and they're more comfortable. Not surprising though since the old fronts were Riken or some other nonsense tyres and one of the rears was equally as bad.

Soldato
Silly question.
Was thinking about going for winter tyres for the first time.

Front and back are different sized tyres, is it ok, safe etc etc to fit the same sized tyres all around for winter driving?

I’m not a fast driver in any condition, 75 tops on motorway, stick to speed limits and don’t corner fast.

Would save me £100 or so if it’s ok to buy the same size..

Thanks

Soldato
I really like my Crossclimate+ they are wearing far better than I had anticipated as well. Already beat the continental sport contact 5 that they replaced.
Very pleased with their performance as well, ideal choice for the daily driver.

Soldato
I was never convinced by all season tyres, but I was offered some Continental ones really cheap so went for them. I don't think I'd switch back now: they are not noticeably any worse than premium summers in wet braking / cornering, and are vastly better on muddy tarmac / gravel roads. Seem to be fairly durable too: I've put 10k miles on them and there's still a lot of tread left.

When the Pirellis on my RRS are worn out, I'll almost certainly switch to all seasons on that as well.

Caporegime
Running Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons on the Evoque, they are well regarded in general but Harry Metcalfe particularly likes them for the all round ability and good snow performance.

Must say i'm impressed with the grip on offer in both the wet and dry, i've pushed these thing quite hard and not run out of grip, part of this will be the adaptive suspension and torque vectoring 4wd however.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My Golf came fitted with Goodyear Vector All Seasons (1st gen) and TBH I'm not massively impressed.
Obviously in the summer they were like jelly and struggled for grip when pushing, and now it's wet and around 4C on my morning commute, they light up like crazy when I'm trying to make progress from low speeds/standstill. Could be the dozy DSG, but I'm definitely not a convert.

Perhaps if I didn't drive like an ape they'd be fine, but I'll stick to my 2 sets of wheels once these wear out thx.

Back
Top Bottom