AMG out, GT-R in!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
UWOTM9

How many miles left on yours?

On a serious note, given how long the ceramics last, I'd be interested in a cost per mile compared to normal ones. A bit like Michelins :p

Man of Honour
UWOTM9

How many miles left on yours?

On a serious note, given how long the ceramics last, I'd be interested in a cost per mile compared to normal ones. A bit like Michelins :p

Discs will see 80K I suspect, pads were done at 25K

Man of Honour
It will be long gone before it needs discs. Someone else's worry but would have been good if I could find cheap options just in case plans change.

OcUK Staff
:eek:

That's ridiculous, never understood why consumable parts such as brakes are so expensive on these type of cars, surely they mass produce these parts?

Its not the car, its because they are ceramics.

A ceramic disc is typically £1500-£3000 each.

I converted my 911 to steel disc all round for £600 !
A pair of new front ceramics would have cost me £6000 just for a pair, luckily a kind chap had some removed ceramics and he sold me front pair for £2500, still vastly more expensive than steels.

My SVR a set of 1PC solid disc all round cost about £600, a set of steel/ALU 2PC motorsport disc cost around £1800 all round. A set of ceramics all round cost £12,000

Audi R8 steel disc are like a grand for a full set.

The moment you go to ceramics, the cost is typically 5x-10x more for disc and generally at least double the cost for the pads.
The biggest advantage is no dust, they tend to also be quieter and smoother. They also last vastly longer.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd post a bit of an update on ownership so far.

Perhaps being a bit over-cautious running at stage 4.25, I decided that I didn't want to risk throwing a rod through my block. I know many people do run this power level and even more without any issues but many don't and if it goes, it's new engine time. Given the mileage on my car (60k), I decided to get reduce the risk and got myself booked into Litchfield for a few upgrades ;)

The main work to be done was to get the engine out and stripped, rebuild with forged rods, new bearings, gaskets and a bunch of other nice things. Controversially perhaps, I opted to not get the pistons changed for forged ones as this involved a lot more machine work (and cost), though I did have new piston rings on the OEM pistons. Not being interested in running 'big' power on this car and wanting the reliability overall, I didn't think it would have been worth it as I'd never see the benefit. Not to mention the other costs in involved in upgrading the gearbox etc to take advantage of the engine's capability had I gone down that route.

At the same time, I upgraded the turbos for some with GT30 cores and billet compressors to get to a comfortable power level and had all other drivetrain fluids changed.

Once the engine had been taken out and stripped, it was found that the timing chain had stretched and the tensioner was at max. extension. Luckily this was caught in time so had all chains replaced with the tensioner. Everything else internally seemed to be in very good condition, so I was quite pleased overall.

A few pics:

Shortblock stripped and cleaned

Engine fully rebuilt and assembled. Added black powder coated covers all round

Nice little touch

Refitted and all cleaned up

Dyno Print Out

Bonus Car Shot

Overall, the car drives very similar to how it did before - comes on power around the same sort of time with the same sort of torque level. It just holds it consistently right up to the red line rather than dropping off like it did before. The new turbos are barely breaking a sweat at 1.2-1.3bar boost - they needed to be dialled back in a bit as the first few runs were touching high 800's :o

Eventually, I plan to do a bit of basic work to the gearbox to allow the torque to get pushed up a bit more across the whole range and maybe get a bit more power wise to go with but not a lot. For now, I think I'll enjoy it a bit without worrying!

Associate
That's awesome.

I take it you are in the GTR Cartel ;) I think I have seen this dyno sheet posted up.

I'm looking to do exactly the same towards October in mine. Just the forged rods etc currently I'm running 4.25 with the LM SSIC. Made 682/613 @ Litchfield on their dyno.

I also did an enquiry to Litchfield regarding the costs fir just forged rods. Which I was quoted circa 5800 inclusive of VAT. but obviously timing chain, tensioners to be looked at.

Did you supply your own turbos for them to fit? What turbos are they exactly ??

I have looked at the linney turbos for mine as ideally I want to run around 750ish hp. Keeping the stockish spool but not going to crazy on horsepower.

Soldato
OP
That's awesome.

I take it you are in the GTR Cartel ;) I think I have seen this dyno sheet posted up.

I'm looking to do exactly the same towards October in mine. Just the forged rods etc currently I'm running 4.25 with the LM SSIC. Made 682/613 @ Litchfield on their dyno.

I also did an enquiry to Litchfield regarding the costs fir just forged rods. Which I was quoted circa 5800 inclusive of VAT. but obviously timing chain, tensioners to be looked at.

Did you supply your own turbos for them to fit? What turbos are they exactly ??

I have looked at the linney turbos for mine as ideally I want to run around 750ish hp. Keeping the stockish spool but not going to crazy on horsepower.

Yup am in the group thanks to @kindai :) So yep you would’ve seen this posted up!

That price sounds about right - depending on the state of the internals the extras could be more. From memory I think the chains and tensioners were about another 500ish on mine. Plus any other extras you want doing while it’s all out obviously.

I supplied the turbos - they are GT30 turbines in IHI housings with Litchfield 67mm billet compressors. They were the older LM800s before the switch to EFR cores I believe. Linney ones seem to get good things said about them.

I have the race IC and ran very similar figures at 4.25 so basically going down the same route! :D

Associate
Yup am in the group thanks to @kindai :) So yep you would’ve seen this posted up!

That price sounds about right - depending on the state of the internals the extras could be more. From memory I think the chains and tensioners were about another 500ish on mine. Plus any other extras you want doing while it’s all out obviously.

I supplied the turbos - they are GT30 turbines in IHI housings with Litchfield 67mm billet compressors. They were the older LM800s before the switch to EFR cores I believe. Linney ones seem to get good things said about them.

I have the race IC and ran very similar figures at 4.25 so basically going down the same route! :D

Thankyou for the information :)

Virtually the same route yes.

I just love my GTR.

I was contemplating going stage 4.5 which should give around 740ish BHP with the intercooler, then do the rods, but then its a ticking time bomb @ stage 4.5 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

but may just do the lot all at once :D

Soldato
OP
Thankyou for the information :)

Virtually the same route yes.

I just love my GTR.

I was contemplating going stage 4.5 which should give around 740ish BHP with the intercooler, then do the rods, but then its a ticking time bomb @ stage 4.5 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

but may just do the lot all at once :D

Well, if you're changing turbos to get to Stage 4.5, the engine has to come out anyway so I'd just do the whole lot in one go and avoid paying extra the labour costs for dropping the engine, removing and refitting the turbos and associated bits twice :cool:

Soldato
OP
Another minor update... an great deal came up for a gear set and even though I didn't plan on building the box this soon after getting the engine done, I didn't want to miss out. So last month, I dropped it off to have the gearbox built at JM with a 1-6 gear set, up-rated clutch and baskets.

Re-tuned and now running 909bhp / 937ftlb on top map.

The torque that's been unleashed really does make it an animal now. It was fast before, but this is on another level - it comes in HARD so gotta get used to it all over again before really going all out. Plus it's the wrong time of year for it really. Still amazes me that there are cars out there with even more!

dyno.jpg

Soldato
OP
oh wow, thats impressive

i think thats going to be faster than my brothers Noble, and thats Fast!

Once I'm more comfortable with the car as it is now and we have some drier spells, I'll have to try and get some real world figures. Keen to find out how it compares!

Sweet baby Jesus! Is this a daily driver!?

Not a daily for me, no - I've not driven it as much as I would have liked to this year to be honest though. Only done about 3k miles!

OcUK Staff
this is him Before the 2 big turbo upgrades :

Expected the Macca to run faster than that, can't wait to get back next year and get the 10s pass I've being wanting, should be possible as netted 11.2s in the 458 without launch control and manual shifting, supposedly they run 10.7-10.8's so hoping I can get somewhat closer with the LC. :)

Back
Top Bottom