Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
Also who's Dan Bailey?

Whoever they are they always give me Strava Kudos which makes me feel bad as i never do the same :p
Same here.

TBH, I used to really follow strava closely and be partbkf a community. Was useful when starting out to see what others were doing. now I find it useful for logging, analysis and finding new routes

Man of Honour
I seem to back to my 5k/10k (22.20 /47.30) pacing for those distances but struggling on the distance after that. I'm about 7 minutes off pace on 10 miles .Our local 10 mile race is in May and I'd like to beat my 1hr,16 PB but I'm coming in at 1hr, 23 . Not sure what i can do.. I just struggle after the 7 miles to get any pace going.. i don't feel out of breath.. legs feel fine.. knee is holding up.. I just struggle? I suppose I've gotta keep on it.

Associate
Did two days of run commuting. First day i ran home, weather was rubbish, 9 miles of wind and rain. Next day i got up early and ran in, again 9 miles of rain and wind.

Dark for both runs, which for me was surprisingly impactful on my enjoyment of it i think. Very tired today which again had surprised me somewhat as i usually run 6 a day. I guess it is a 50% increase in usual daily volume...

Will see if i can sort logistics to have more of a gap between the runs as 12 hours isn't a lot.

Cheers

Caporegime
Do you subscribe at all?

I've just pre-paid for the year since it seemed cheap enough to give it a go.

No, IMO you get enough for free and the paid stuff is not that useful. If I wanted a deeper insight and analysis into training and recovery I would pay for Training Peeks.

Caporegime
Did two days of run commuting. First day i ran home, weather was rubbish, 9 miles of wind and rain. Next day i got up early and ran in, again 9 miles of rain and wind.

Dark for both runs, which for me was surprisingly impactful on my enjoyment of it i think. Very tired today which again had surprised me somewhat as i usually run 6 a day. I guess it is a 50% increase in usual daily volume...

Will see if i can sort logistics to have more of a gap between the runs as 12 hours isn't a lot.

Cheers

I got to admit that despite all the running I do, I don't like running in the dark, especially when cold and wet (in the summer it can be nice to avoid the heat).

However, that will have to change because I signed up to do the Swiss Peaks 170km race with 11,000m climbing, 12,00m descent, on technical high alpine terrain. Starts 8pm and I expect 2 complete nights of running and just hope to hit the finish line before seeing the 3rd sunset.

Associate
That's a different level. What drives you to complete these ultra s? Is it the feeling during the event itself,or the sense of achievement you feel when finished,or simply to see different parts of the world? I'm curious,cheers

Soldato
Just signed up for my first 10km race... What have I done?! lol It is the Born2Run events that take place here in Northern Ireland and this particular one is around Antrim Castle:

https://www.born2runevents.com/races.php?s=antrim-castle-gardens

It is on the 2nd Feb, so not that long once you take into account Christmas. Aim for this race is to complete the distance in my normal 70mins and take it easy. :)

Associate
Just signed up for my first 10km race... What have I done?! lol It is the Born2Run events that take place here in Northern Ireland and this particular one is around Antrim Castle:

https://www.born2runevents.com/races.php?s=antrim-castle-gardens

It is on the 2nd Feb, so not that long once you take into account Christmas. Aim for this race is to complete the distance in my normal 70mins and take it easy. :)

Good for you! Let us know how the training goes. Good time of year for it, all those training miles will keep the Christmas excesses in check!

Soldato
Good for you! Let us know how the training goes. Good time of year for it, all those training miles will keep the Christmas excesses in check!

Cheers. I plan to keep doing a shorter run midweek and a longer one (10km ish) at the weekend, but nothing really too taxing. The aim is to stay injury free on the run-up (;)) to the race and complete the distance. To be honest I could do with fattening up a little as most of my trousers/jeans are falling off me. :(

Associate
Cheers. I plan to keep doing a shorter run midweek and a longer one (10km ish) at the weekend, but nothing really too taxing. The aim is to stay injury free on the run-up (;)) to the race and complete the distance. To be honest I could do with fattening up a little as most of my trousers/jeans are falling off me. :(

Looks like a good run to pop your cherry on :D Try not to over dress for the cold weather, having an old jumper you can tie to a railing or tree at the last minute is a good idea. good luck.

Soldato
Looks like a good run to pop your cherry on :D Try not to overdress for the cold weather, having an old jumper you can tie to a railing or tree at the last minute is a good idea. good luck.

We all remember our first one right? Apparently, the council have spent millions doing up the castle gardens so it will be nice to run through them. Yeah, I'll try not too, usually, it is not as baltic as December/January so that's some consolation.

Man of Honour
I seem to back to my 5k/10k (22.20 /47.30) pacing for those distances but struggling on the distance after that. I'm about 7 minutes off pace on 10 miles .Our local 10 mile race is in May and I'd like to beat my 1hr,16 PB but I'm coming in at 1hr, 23 . Not sure what i can do.. I just struggle after the 7 miles to get any pace going.. i don't feel out of breath.. legs feel fine.. knee is holding up.. I just struggle? I suppose I've gotta keep on it.

I might have missed it but what do you do already in terms of training? I'm far from an expert but there might be some people who can help with more information. In a race situation you'll typically go a bit faster anyway because of the adrenaline and competitive element. It's difficult to know whether this applies for you but it might be you're simply taking your long runs too fast without having a suitable level of endurance to manage it, if that's the case then going for a few more long runs at a slower pace might be beneficial for you, this might be as simple as making time for a long slow run once a week at an easy pace (conversational sort of level so it's good if you have someone else to run with as that helps both distract you and keep you to the right sort of speed). However remember that you also need to build in rest to any training plan and if you're aiming towards a particular race such as your 10 mile then think about tapering in the final week or two to ensure that you're sufficiently rested - as is sometimes said you can't get any faster in the last week but you can get more tired.

Associate
Hi all

Can I pitch a few questions to fellow runners please...

1) Do you stretch before and/or after running? And if so, what do you do and for how long? I no neither and I presume I should.

2) How do you avoid injuries both short term and long term? I ask this as iv found my feet are sore, my knees hurt sometimes and my calfs and groin hurt sometimes also. Though some of this may be from the gym and football.

3) Where do you do most of your running? I run mainly on roads. I hear so many people saying road running is bad for knees and joints etc and so im concerned about potential damage.

4) What do you eat before/after a run to maximise performance?

5) How do you, if at all, build and/or retain muscle mass whilst running? Iv taken up running last summer and run 8-12 miles per week, split over a shorter run and a longer run. Im at the gym 3 times a week also trying to build muscle. I love running but still want to pack on some muscle mass.

Id really appreciate all your thoughts on the above.

Man of Honour
1) Do you stretch before and/or after running? And if so, what do you do and for how long? I no neither and I presume I should.

Dynamic stretching if anything for me but more usually go for an easy warm-up run (or more than one depending on the time) and possibly some strides. Save the static stretching until after the run, the prevailing thought seems to be that it doesn't help and may actually hinder athletic performance if done before running. Do try and build in some time for stretching/flexibility work after runs.

2) How do you avoid injuries both short term and long term? I ask this as iv found my feet are sore, my knees hurt sometimes and my calfs and groin hurt sometimes also. Though some of this may be from the gym and football.

This is going to probably sound a bit new age but try paying attention to how your body is feeling and don't just follow a training plan slavishly, some days you may not feel well or may be carrying a small injury and in that situation forcing yourself through a tough session risks more injury. However you've got to have a bit of an appreciation for when you should legitimately take a day off and when you'd be fine to go training but maybe go at 80% rather than 90% e.g. having the sniffles probably isn't a good excuse to not go training at all but maybe take it a bit easier. I do try to remember to use my foam roller most days and particularly after a run which I find helps ease my muscles but that might be partly psychosomatic.

3) Where do you do most of your running? I run mainly on roads. I hear so many people saying road running is bad for knees and joints etc and so im concerned about potential damage.

If you're wearing adequately cushioned shoes and you are running with decent form/not trying to go too far/too fast then I'd suggest it's probably not going to be that big a deal to run mainly on roads. However it's a good idea to run on different surfaces if you can to build up your strength and the stabilizing/supporting muscles. I run mostly on roads with occasional trails or cross country. Also you may want to ask these people what studies they're using to support their claims - there are a number of studies which suggest that runners tend to have better health as they age than non-runners, now I don't know what surfaces they run on (I'd presume mostly roads) or how they are controlling for it potentially being self-selecting and slightly circular that healthy people run therefore they are healthy people but here's one Stanford study or another study from Baylor College of Medicine which seems to show that running may help prevent osteoarthritis. That doesn't mean it'll be right for everyone and there may be valid reasons for these people to be concerned about the impacts of running for them but it might be interesting to find out where they get their information from since it's not necessarily scientifically supported to give a blanket statement that running is bad for knees or joints.

It depends on the time of day and how far I'm going what would be appropriate.

5) How do you, if at all, build and/or retain muscle mass whilst running? Iv taken up running last summer and run 8-12 miles per week, split over a shorter run and a longer run. Im at the gym 3 times a week also trying to build muscle. I love running but still want to pack on some muscle mass.

At 8-12 miles per week I wouldn't have thought you'd have to worry too much about undoing your work in the gym, provided you're getting enough rest and your diet is ok then it's unlikely to have much of a detrimental impact.

Caporegime
Hi all

Can I pitch a few questions to fellow runners please...

Id really appreciate all your thoughts on the above.

1) No, there is no evidence there is any benefits but risks if done wrong. Stretches should by dynamic.

2) Correct pacing of training runs. make sure that easy really is an easy pace, and make sure that 80-90% of all run volume is at an easy pace, and that periods of training that involve higher intensity are a limited duration block in a larger training cycle. For example, in training for a Marathon I will have several months of base building aerobic work with almost nothing fast at all, then maybe 10-12 weeks out from the race I will do 1 track workout a week , but only for 3 weeks then the 4th week a rest, then another 3 weeks in a row, and liekly only 3 or 4 tempo runs and a couple of Long runs with goal pace.
also, I reduce run volume volume once I add the speed work. I might be doing 85-100mpw of base aerobic running over 7 days, but changing 1 run for a track workout and I will have to liekly add a rest day and reduce volume to 70-80mpw.

if you are not super competitive trying to push yourself to something like a sub 3hr Marathon, Good for age London entry etc. then minimize the speed work and concentrate on safe easy volume.

3) mix of roads and trails. Trails are definitely way safer for you but road running is OK, need to get higher cushioning shoes for roads.

4). Simple digestible carbs: bead + jam + banana.

5) Don;t, muscle mass slow you down and increases injury risk. You can do both if you don't care about performance. Easy running releases testosterone and human growth hormones, that both promote muscle growth, so it is very easy to gain muscle mass while running. There si some debate on whether running before or after weights is most effective due to the hormones produced during running. I believe weights first probably has the edge but most people do the opposite because it seems more natural.

I would concentrate the weights on leg and core strength. Free weights and squats, no weight machines.

Soldato
Annoyingly i think i'm coming down with a bit of a cold. Started with a sore throat the other day but it's progressing nicely. Especially annoying as we're off on a Spa break next Wednesday near Leicester and my plan was to tackle a half marathon given i'd have lots of time before/after to relax and rest rather than having to deal with normal life.

Made myself get up this morning and just did 3miles on the treadmill at the gym to avoid aggravating my throat with -2C air. I absolutely hate running in the gym though and gave up as soon as i could, i really overheat with having no airflow and clock watch constantly which makes it tiring. Then went and spent 30mins in the steam room/hot tub so hopefully that'll help!

Soldato
Cold is getting worse :(

Went to do the parkrun on Saturday as felt i should push through it. Parked up at my gym which is about a mile away, ran to the parkrun to warmup, then probably went a little faster than i should've done given how i was feeling (annoyingly forgot to hit stop on my watch at the end!) during the parkrun and then ran back to the car.

Symptons have definately worsened over the weekend. In hindsight the steam room probably makes it a breeding ground for cold bacteria to grow!

Soldato
Cold is getting worse :(

Went to do the Park Run on Saturday as felt I should push through it. Parked up at my gym which is about a mile away, ran to the Park Run to warm up, then probably went a little faster than I should've done given how I was feeling (annoyingly forgot to hit stop on my watch at the end!) during the Park Run and then ran back to the car.

Symptoms have definitely worsened over the weekend. In hindsight, the steam room probably makes it a breeding ground for cold bacteria to grow!

Sounds like you're on Death's Door, can I just get you to sign over your Power of Attorney please...:D

Sorry to hear that, I had a sore throat a few weeks back and decided to give a few days rest and I felt guilty for NOT going out, so fair play for at least trying the Park Run.

Back
Top Bottom