Fluid colour/lack of ?

Associate
3 or 4 months ago (approx.) I upgraded /swapped radiators (triple in roof + single in bottom of case) I drained the system , took out the ‘old’ rads and (having flushed through the new rads with de-ionised water) installed the new.

I had been using Mayhems Pastel - Ice White Coolant 1L and decided to continue the tradition so , having bought a new bottle, I filled up etc.

No problems – cooling was a little better - apart from it took a day or so for things to settle .

On Sunday I was installing a new ssd and looked to give my computer a clean at the same time and was concerned when I noticed the water in the res. – to start with it looked to have lost about ½ however upon closer inspection I realised that what in fact appears to have happened is that the white colour has dropped to the bottom so looking at it the bottom half is coloured white but the top half is semi –clear.

Apart from lacking colour all appears to be working fine - temps are good (ran Intel burn and heaven) with temps dropping very quickly.

Is this something to worry about ? What action(s) if any should I take ?

Thoughts appreciated :)

Associate
OP
Thanks andybird123 for the link!

I have the Mayhems kit you refer to so will have a 'proper' look at the weekend.

Maybe my new rads had something in them that has caused/interacted and resulted in 'wrong' ph - As the kit contains a ph tester I can look to rule such in or out etc

I bought the kit about 2 yrs ago but have never felt the need to use it - good job I kept it!!

Will advise as it progresses.:)

Associate
My first WC build used pastel white (a very early batch, I read somewhere on here the formula was changed to improve lifespan), had similar after a while, but figured I'd just been too slow to change the fluid (was a bit over a year and it looked like off milk!), after that I went with mayhems UV blue concentrate and have had no issues since (except a bit of staining in my res).

If I wanted to go the pastel route again, I'd probably just go for white tubing and clear fluid TBH, although you could be right about the contaminants making the white particles fall out of suspension

Soldato
Did you clean your rads before using them? New rads should ALWAYS be cleaned and flushed! Hot water, plus mildly acidic mixture or rad cleaning solution, and good thorough flush with distilled after. All sorts of crud in new radiators as they are soldered.

Associate
OP
Patience was the cure :)

I found my Mayhems Blitz Pro Kit but as my temps had not altered and ,apart from a lack of colour (clearer white), there did not appear to any problem decided that I would hold off flushing out .

Glad I did as it appears to have cured itself.

Will just keep an eye on it but hopefully , problem solved.

BTW I did clean and flush the new rads before use BUT if doing it again will double clean.

Back
Top Bottom