AiO Water Cooling

Soldato
I think that's a bit silly. I recently wanted to upgrade my monitor, did I look at the first one I saw and think it will display a picture and do a good job of it? No I spent some time researching what panel size I wanted, what pixel density I wanted, what panel type best suited my needs, what was available that met my requirements and was in budget and then read reviews. I looked at AIO / CLC cooling the same way, quality of radiator (copper vs aluminium), totally closed loop or refillable (CLC vs AIO), ability to extend the loop, pump rating, included fan spec, software, noise. These technical specs may be irrelevant to you but not to people like myself want and need to make sure they are making the right purchasing decision.
I agree, but many buyers so not research and learn what they need to know to make an informed purchase like you and I do. They look at advertising hype and a few 'reviews' that mount CLC radiators as intake and then make claims of them cooling way better than air cooling.

I wish CLCs companies published the pump flowrate and lift like AIOs and custom loop pumps provide us with. They publish the fan specs, so why not the pump's. :p

Soldato
- Correct
- Nope I have read and followed your guide and bought a digital thermometer to identify the best options for cooling my case which has been stripped out of all non essentials to improve airflow. I saw ~2c drop in idle temps and ~8c drop in load temps some of which may be down to fresh paste but my gut feeling is the SL140 is better at cooling than the Macho.
- Done and thanks for your reply.

I miss-read your 10% as 10c. :rolleyes: Yes, the Silent Loop 280 is about 10% better than HR-02. Was the HR-02 a little quieter?

Soldato
I miss-read your 10% as 10c. :rolleyes: Yes, the Silent Loop 280 is about 10% better than HR-02. Was the HR-02 a little quieter?
Yes the HR-02 was quieter without a doubt, it is a very quiet design given that it's fins are widely spaced so the air from the fan has very little obstruction. I'm a firm believer that larger fans at lower rpm are a better noise / performance option than smaller fans at higher rpm so I had replaced the stock 140mm fan with a TY150 which at ~500rpm was pretty much silent but still pushed enough air through to keep idle temps respectable. I would have liked the Silent Loop 280 for this reason but the 240 was a good deal, so I have 2 x 120mm fans running at ~800rpm pushing against a pretty closed surface generating noise. Then you have the pump which was silent ~1800rpm but I contacted BeQuiet who said the pump should be run at 100% all the time (~2200rpm) which is audible even when it is running properly.

Associate
OP
To the OP> I have used a mixture of Aio's and air coolers over my past few builds. I also have the components for a proper custom water cooling setup but never ever got round to it for whatever reason. This includes Phanteks and XSPC Raystorm cpu blocks, about 2-3 EK rads, 2 Black ice rads, xspc rads, D5 pump, tubing and distilled water most of which have never been used.

For Air coolers the most recent experience is with the Noctua D15 and D14 although in the past I have used Thermalright. For aio's I have h115i pro, x62 and Ek predator 360.

As for air coolers go the D15 met my needs more than the other air coolers. While the D14 is similar it doesn't play nice with tall memory sticks. I am about to try and cram a D15 into an Inwin A1 when it arrives.

SO while the Noctua looks big and is heavy which it is it securing method is really good and as good as any I have used so far. It's performance pretty much speaks for itself you can google it and I am sure it will turn up many results. Up to a certain RPM it certainly pretty quiet although I got to warn you the fans colour seems to upset people personally it doesn't bother me. For the aio's I use a H115i most of the time although from time to time I switch it out for the EK predator. The x62 is a dead duck unfortunately after I used it with a 5960k. It wasn't that old either.

Between the H115i and x62 I prefer the H115i. And that was after ditching the nzxt fans straight away from out of the box to ML140 pros. But the thing I dislike most about the two is the software you have to use. I don't want to use nzxt or deffo not corsairs. Performance wise they are more or less the same although the pump noise seems to be a smidgen quieter on the Corsair unit. I don't know about the H115i but I do know an x62 cannot handle a 5960x;)

Which brings me to the EK predator... So many members around here are more than familiar with the EK predator or should I say it issues. Having said that mine has been faultless. Although there is more significant pump noise (maybe just because it older) and I am not a fan of the EK vardars. I prefer my ML pros or Noctua fans. So it certainly noisier than my h115i and compared in context to the D15 it way noisier.

But it the only cooler I have (not including the watercooling parts I have never used) which can beat the D15 and not by a tiny bit but by a bit.

Can you tell me why do you don't prefer Vardar fans?

I mean they have super air pressure and all that they are very good for radiators, I mean ML's are cool too I have them in my case 4, but I think Vardars got some more pressure than ML's.

Soldato
I'm running mine at at about 1800rpm most of the time. It only speeds up when CPU is at high load. Pump is a modified Alphacool Aisbaer Solo which is rated 7-13.5v. Alphacool Aisbaer LT (Solo) looks same as Silent Loop pump also rated 7-13.5v spec. But if be quiet! says to only run it at 12v, then I'm not going to say otherwise.

Soldato
This is what they said - "thank you for taking time to contact the be quiet! Customer care. The Pump must always run on 100% load. It shouldn’t be slowed down. Set the Header to PWM to run it at permanent 12V."

/Edit: Can hear it now it sounds like the noise a mechanical disk makes on full chat.

Soldato
Like I said, mine will continue to be variable voltage controlled to run at 1750-1800rpm most of the time and I can't hear it. I know sometimes it runs faster but I can't remember the last time I heard it.

So yours sounds like a HDD searching for something? That is what air bubbles sound like in the pump.

Associate
thermaltake868>I can't quite my finger on why I prefer the ML's or Noctuas over vardars even though I recognise they excellent performance when used with radiators.

I can attest to they have more pressure at lower rpm than either ML's or Noctuas as I can hear the air hear being pushed. Maybe it is this I am not a fan of. When I am browsing the web or whatever I want at least sound as possible. When non gaming I am not bothered if a cpu idles at 35 or 40 but I certainly don't want to hear it. IIRC they can go lower rpm wise than the ML's or Noctuas but you can still hear them not due to fan noise but hearing the air passing through.

A while back when I was using a D15 and comparing it to the x62 there were two things I experienced. When using it to cool a 5930k overclocked to 4.2ghz and I think it was 1.25v the x62 was beating the D15 by say 2-3c. But to do this it has to spin the ML's at max. you could still hear the D15 but it was nowhere near as intrusive as what the x62 was making the ML's spin at max.

So out of all the coolers I have used on the past few builds the quietest in operation overall would the D15 hands down. No other cooler I have comes close to this sound wise. when it idling I can't hear it. Maybe someone with better hearing could but not me. And also the best mounting setup.

But the cooler I use the most at the moment is the H115i v2 (I think it is called that). it has mostly comparable performance to the D15 and I find it visually appealing. Well it was after I ditched the stock fans straight away and replaced them with Corsair LL140 fans for bling bling goodness. I am sure I could get it quieter if I used my ML's or Noctua fans but it spoils the look of my internals.:) But a terrible mounting system. I was shocked at first and thought I was sold a broken one but turns out it the real deal. So as long as you are not in the habit of rotating the cpu block it should stay on!;)

Biggest let down was the x62 died only after a short while when using it with a 5960x I could have RMA'ed but after cam software bricked my hue+ as it insisted it needed a firmware update and then got stuck in the middle of flashing it turrning it from a RGB lighting control system to a black plastic brick I decided they were not the company for me. I could have dumped the x62 in the bin but I keep it in my room to remind me when I get compulsive spending twitches. Luckily OCUK were fantastic and sent me a replacement.

Associate
I think that's a bit silly. I recently wanted to upgrade my monitor, did I look at the first one I saw and think it will display a picture and do a good job of it?

not the same thing. The cooling properties of the AIO's with higher pump flow don't cool any better or if they do the difference is insignificant. My ryzen chips run about 40-45c gaming depending on the game with a low fan speed. It would make no difference to the performance if the temp was 35-40C.

Soldato
your metaphors are worse that the nonsense you sprout about AIO's.
Seems you are the one spouting nonsense.
The cooling properties of the AIO's with higher pump flow don't cool any better or if they do the difference is insignificant.
Considering the only AIO's with flow rate specs are Swiftech and Alphacool OEM (and they are not CLCs) and Liqtech TR4 (having all kinds of problems) and I don't think any of the others even publish their flow rates, let alone any testing of flowrate to temp. I've looked several times trying to find CLC pump flow rate data over they years finding almost nothing, and definitely nothing about AIO/CLC flow rates vs temps.

Seems you either just like to hear yourself talk like you know it all or you are simply trying to cause trouble.

Soldato
thermaltake868>I can't quite my finger on why I prefer the ML's or Noctuas over vardars even though I recognise they excellent performance when used with radiators.

I can attest to they have more pressure at lower rpm than either ML's or Noctuas as I can hear the air hear being pushed. Maybe it is this I am not a fan of. When I am browsing the web or whatever I want at least sound as possible. When non gaming I am not bothered if a cpu idles at 35 or 40 but I certainly don't want to hear it. IIRC they can go lower rpm wise than the ML's or Noctuas but you can still hear them not due to fan noise but hearing the air passing through.

A while back when I was using a D15 and comparing it to the x62 there were two things I experienced. When using it to cool a 5930k overclocked to 4.2ghz and I think it was 1.25v the x62 was beating the D15 by say 2-3c. But to do this it has to spin the ML's at max. you could still hear the D15 but it was nowhere near as intrusive as what the x62 was making the ML's spin at max.

So out of all the coolers I have used on the past few builds the quietest in operation overall would the D15 hands down. No other cooler I have comes close to this sound wise. when it idling I can't hear it. Maybe someone with better hearing could but not me. And also the best mounting setup.

But the cooler I use the most at the moment is the H115i v2 (I think it is called that). it has mostly comparable performance to the D15 and I find it visually appealing. Well it was after I ditched the stock fans straight away and replaced them with Corsair LL140 fans for bling bling goodness. I am sure I could get it quieter if I used my ML's or Noctua fans but it spoils the look of my internals.:) But a terrible mounting system. I was shocked at first and thought I was sold a broken one but turns out it the real deal. So as long as you are not in the habit of rotating the cpu block it should stay on!;)

Biggest let down was the x62 died only after a short while when using it with a 5960x I could have RMA'ed but after cam software bricked my hue+ as it insisted it needed a firmware update and then got stuck in the middle of flashing it turrning it from a RGB lighting control system to a black plastic brick I decided they were not the company for me. I could have dumped the x62 in the bin but I keep it in my room to remind me when I get compulsive spending twitches. Luckily OCUK were fantastic and sent me a replacement.

I know Vardar have had issues with noise when used in pull orientation.

Many users prefer Thermalright TY-140/147/147A/143 sound profile to Noctua NF-A14/A15 through entire range from idle to 3000rpm depending on fan .. and both makes look almost identical and have almost identical performance. You can see in below image how similar they and a few other fans all are in appearance.
LL

Link below is is to Thermalright and Noctua tperformance comparison data.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/23229617-post27.html

Soldato
not the same thing. The cooling properties of the AIO's with higher pump flow don't cool any better or if they do the difference is insignificant. My ryzen chips run about 40-45c gaming depending on the game with a low fan speed. It would make no difference to the performance if the temp was 35-40C.
I wish I had a Ryzen chip sadly I have an old i7 2700k which I'm pushing 1.425v through so believe me more efficient heat dissipation and associated cooling improvements are definite factors for my decision making :eek: .

Soldato
My CLC cooler has a 120 l/hr pump and a 5 year warranty. It's been fantastic.
I'm interested in finding out who made a CLC wiht a 120 l/h pump. Could you please tell us what brand and model it was? I have been studying and testing coolers for many years and don't know of a CLC with a 120 l/h pump.

Soldato
I'm interested in finding out who made a CLC wiht a 120 l/h pump. Could you please tell us what brand and model it was? I have been studying and testing coolers for many years and don't know of a CLC with a 120 l/h pump.

Sure, it's the one in my signature.

Soldato
Sure, it's the one in my signature.
Cooler Master does not give the pump flow rate for Nepton 240M. Can you supply a link to data supporting your '120 l/hr pump' claim? I find review sites making the 120 l/h claim, but I can't find any supporting data from Coolermaster. Strange that reviews are saying 120 l/h but Cooler Master doesn't have it in their pump specs.

Is Cooler Master the OEM of their CLCs or is someone else manufacturing them?

There is an AIO with 210L/H pump as well
I don't know of one with 210 l/h pump.

Enermax Liqtech TR4 CLC pump spec is 450 l/h but it's pledged with problem with some owners on their third RAM, so not one to be considered at this time.
https://www.enermaxeu.com/wp-conten...nloads/datasheet-en-360mm-liqtech-tr4-360.pdf

Swiftech Hxxx X2 series AIOs are rated 660 l/h, but are AI0 that is not a CLC.
http://www.swiftech.com/h220x2.aspx#tab3

Alphacool Eisbaer & Eisbaer LT are rated 70 l/h. I've heard horror stories of owners trying to resolve defective product problems with customer. Haven't see any bad report in last year so maybe they have improved their customer support, but no news is not good news so I do not recommend them.
https://www.alphacool.com/campaign/index/emotionId/3241
Alphacool Eisbaer LT (Solo) and Eisbaer (Solo) pumps are available as a component.
https://www.alphacool.com/search?sSearch=eisbaer+solo&p=1

be quiet! Silent Loop is same design and made by Alphacool so I assume same 70 l/h, but they do not give pump specs.

Fractal Design Kelvin series has 72 l/h pump, but is discontinued.
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/t12

Soldato
Cooler Master does not give the pump flow rate for Nepton 240M. Can you supply a link to data supporting your '120 l/hr pump' claim?

Sure, here's a Google search for the term "Nepton 240m 120 l/hr". Do you have a link to data which says otherwise?

Search results.

And don't forget that 5 year warranty too. On a CLC. Good innit?

Edit:

Here it is straight from the horse's mouth. Coolermaster's website, pump graphic, "Optimized motor" section: "Greater water flow: 120 liters per hour*". I'm not able to find what the "*" refers to but I imagine it's the usual +/- disclaimer.

https://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/nepton-240m/

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure, here's a Google search for the term "Nepton 240m 120 l/hr". Do you have a link to data which says otherwise?

Search results.

And don't forget that 5 year warranty too. On a CLC. Good innit?
Not having the 120 l/h spec from the Cooler Master, but from other sources makes it a rumor, not a fact .. and to me that makes it suspect.

'5 year warranty' is words. If Cooler Master has good customer support then 5 year warranty is good .. but if they pro-rate the warranty and deduct 10-15% per year of use, don't send a replacement to owner immediately upon being informed of problem and take a month or more to replace defective pro-duct or only give a partial refund then warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Also, I have found that many buyers of products even with good warranties never bother to use them when product goes bad. They simply buy something else.

What it all comes down to is most of users look at a 5 year warranty as if product will last that long .. when the reality is most will not use product for more than 2-3 years .. do many companies give long warranties for that very reason. It is good advertising to have a long warranty because it gives consumer the idea product is somehow better because of long warranty. :p

Edit:

Here it is straight from the horse's mouth. Coolermaster's website, pump graphic, "Optimized motor" section: "Greater water flow: 120 liters per hour*". I'm not able to find what the "*" refers to but I imagine it's the usual +/- disclaimer.

https://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/nepton-240m/

That is proof of the 120 l/h claim! Thanks!

The "*" is for "*Compared to Competitor at 47 Liters/Hour"
It's at bottom of list where pump flow rate is

Optimized Motor Structure
• Exclusive Cooler Master Design
• Greater Water Flow - 120 Liters/Hour*
• Long Lifespan - Up to 70,000 Hours

*Compared to Competitor at 47 Liters/Hour​

These companies do some strange things. Why they would put pump flow rate in advertising but not in pump specifications makes no sense to me. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom