Spec Me An Office Chair

Associate
I've been sitting on a Järvfjället for 3 months.
I do not recommend it.
If I have more time I'll write about it.
After posting that comment I did eventually try a Järvfjället, and I didn't like it either (for a few reasons).
I found the foam used for the seat was overly firm, armrests too low, lumbar support seemed more uncomfortable than supportive and headrest was too far forward.

What did you dislike about your chair?

Last edited:
Associate
Humanscale Freedom looks like an awesome chair. I love the height adjustment on the top part so you can actually have a head rest on a chair that reaches your head!

When it comes to Leap vs Aeron I think the Leap will be the better chair. I do prefer mesh back chairs for breathability though and the Aeron has that.

Of the 3 I would try the Humanscale Freedom first.

I'm enjoying my Humanscale Freedom - picked up from 2ndhnd at a very reasonable price recently, replacing a 10 year old and very well worn ikea office chair.

I use a herman miller aeron at work and fancied something a bit different - luckily I'm in london so went into J.Lewis who have most of these chairs available to test before committing to any purchase.

It's worth dropping 2ndhnd an email if you have a specific requirement - they sorted my chair with headrest despite not having them shown as in-stock on the website.

Associate
I'm enjoying my Humanscale Freedom - picked up from 2ndhnd at a very reasonable price recently, replacing a 10 year old and very well worn ikea office chair.

I use a herman miller aeron at work and fancied something a bit different - luckily I'm in london so went into J.Lewis who have most of these chairs available to test before committing to any purchase.

It's worth dropping 2ndhnd an email if you have a specific requirement - they sorted my chair with headrest despite not having them shown as in-stock on the website.
How much did you pay for your chair? And did they add a headrest manually, or just have hidden headrest stock

Associate
How much did you pay for your chair? And did they add a headrest manually, or just have hidden headrest stock

It was £300 - I think they must be modular to some degree - here's the response from when I enquired about availability of the hi-back 'I can make up a Humanscale Freedom Hiback in Black leather graphite frame'.
They then made one up and added to the website for me to order :)

Associate
Im in the position of desperately needing a new chair for home and came across this thread. I am 6'2 tall and weigh 100kg with a bad back. Just as I thought I had narrowed my choice down to either Secret Labs Titan or Noblechair Hero, this has thrown a spanner in the works. Having read some reviews on the Freedom chairs (mainly scoring 1* - apparently older versions were much better) it seems I am back at square one.
I need my chair to support my thighs (long legs) otherwise my sciatica flares up. So, asking if anyone can offer any more advice / suggestions please?

Associate
Järvfjället is awful. I thought it was me but it truly is a terrible chair. I actually prefer a wooden chair over this. Luckily IKEA have a great returns policy.

Associate
Järvfjället is awful. I thought it was me but it truly is a terrible chair. I actually prefer a wooden chair over this. Luckily IKEA have a great returns policy.

Shame I was hoping that would be a good option as it wasn't too expensive. Has anyone tried the John Lewis & Partners Isaac Ergonomic Office Chair at all?

Soldato
Shame I was hoping that would be a good option as it wasn't too expensive. Has anyone tried the John Lewis & Partners Isaac Ergonomic Office Chair at all?
Not trying to defend the Järvfjället, but I honestly think how comfortable a chair is varies from individuals to individuals, as we are all different in weight and size.

One thing for sure though, it would be ideally best to actually try a chair in person before making the purchase.

Associate
After posting that comment I did eventually try a Järvfjället, and I didn't like it either (for a few reasons).
I found the foam used for the seat was overly firm, armrests too low, lumbar support seemed more uncomfortable than supportive and headrest was too far forward.

What did you dislike about your chair?

Bringing up an old post, but just realised I didn't reply!
I had the same reasons as you!
And at £150/£175 it seemed relatively expensive, given what it is and the problems.

Soldato
It was £300 - I think they must be modular to some degree - here's the response from when I enquired about availability of the hi-back 'I can make up a Humanscale Freedom Hiback in Black leather graphite frame'.
They then made one up and added to the website for me to order :)

Fair bit of a revival as I can't PM, but ah well.

Hey mate, still enjoying your Humanscale Freedom? You don't find when fully reclined it forces your head a bit too far forward, which I've heard some people say? How tall are you?

I'm on the hunt for a new chair myself. Had a Steelcase Gesture for a while but I think it is just far too aggressive on my lumbar, and I might need something that isn't nearly as extreme. I also miss the headrest!

Caporegime
I bought a Staples Kashmir in 2016 for £128 and it was stupendously comfortable at first, but it is showing its age now with wear on the paint and on the suede arms, and the padding in the lower cushion is getting a bit flat.

BUT. I weigh 17 stone and sit in this chair 12 hours a day every day so I think it has helf up quite well. I would recommend a lumbar cushion to improve your posture though.

Based on my experience with this chair I would probably opt for an ergonomic mesh type chair next time around.

Soldato
Subtotal £326.00
Delivery £0.00
VAT £65.20
81lu_mQOLXLdAJMBYq2Pks75Y4NDwmB3faHjy8pz8stw8lRfiylbZSmuFKskZRC7mt6l0ByXOPVGYEiZ-Q=s0-d-e1-ft

ORDER TOTAL £391.20
Pledge Profile Full Back Posture Chair

Arms: With Arms
Type: Independent Mechanism
Seat Type: With Memory Foam Seat
Base: Black Base
Colour: Camira Xtreme+ Havana
Qty: 1 Price: £326.00
Ref: PL3290HV Delivery: 15-20 working days

Can highly recommend this - guaranteed for 24 hour use

Associate
Fair bit of a revival as I can't PM, but ah well.

Hey mate, still enjoying your Humanscale Freedom? You don't find when fully reclined it forces your head a bit too far forward, which I've heard some people say? How tall are you?

I'm on the hunt for a new chair myself. Had a Steelcase Gesture for a while but I think it is just far too aggressive on my lumbar, and I might need something that isn't nearly as extreme. I also miss the headrest!

Over 2 and a half years later and no regrets, I'm still enjoying it and it's been in full-time use since lockdown started in March. No issues with the headrest - I'm 6', I don't have it fully extended and find my head rests quite naturally when reclined. Only issue I've had is that the material has worn and split on the left-hand arm rest, so may replace that some time.

Soldato
Over 2 and a half years later and no regrets, I'm still enjoying it and it's been in full-time use since lockdown started in March. No issues with the headrest - I'm 6', I don't have it fully extended and find my head rests quite naturally when reclined. Only issue I've had is that the material has worn and split on the left-hand arm rest, so may replace that some time.

Cheers. I'm a fair bit smaller at 5'5" so I wonder if this chair would work for me or not.

Back
Top Bottom