• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Soldato
It's the pinnacle of 1150 and just about the fastest you can get without changing your whole platform (mobo, memory etc.) so prices should stay good for a while.

And it still seems completely underused in games....

I was running "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege" last night and all 8 cores were just tickign over probably about 25% in use, and my cooling system wasn't even ramping up the temps were so cool.

Even if the CPU sparks into like out of the blue, my temps will just blip at about 60 degrees and then drops down to about 50-55...

My GFX card is over three years old now, so Nvidia 1070 soon!

Soldato
So what is the upper temp this thing is suppose to be kept south of? If I lower my cooling so it never goes north of 65 degrees, is that OK for example?

Associate
So I recently delidded my CPU and have it running on a 150i. (Why did I wait so long) I've been able to get past my previous thermal barrier at 4.4Ghz and find myself in 4.8Ghz land. I've been trying to get 4.9Ghz but am struggling. Cooling isnt an issue right now as happily sits around 67-68c. Been about 3 years since I touched all this so memory is a bit rusty.

I have a couple of goals.

• Get 4.8Ghz running with the minum amount of volts for 24/7 using ie gaming and light office work. I'm not crunching videos.
  • Get 4.9Ghz/5.0Ghz Fun fun or maybe 24/7 if I get lucky.
Here are the settings I am using with my MSI Z97 XPower AC using v1.10 BIOS which is the latest along with microcode 24.

Can anyone offer advice/comment on how to improve and acheive this?

Thanks

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/ocuk/48-page1.jpg
http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/ocuk/48-page2.jpg

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/ocuk/49-page1.jpg
http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/ocuk/49-page1.jpg

Associate
Hey Everyone, wow so much info in this thread! I'm currently on a i5-4690, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, 1060 6GB, 16GB 1600Mhz system. I have just purchased a i7-4790K with a batch number of "X51......" from Vietnam.

Before my i5 I had a C2D E6550 which I overclocked so I have a little bit of understanding of the concept! I'm not chasing 4.6Ghz+ as I like to keep my temps and power (reasonably) down. I'm probably only chasing 4.5Ghz. Is it best if I just game/stress test my 4790K at stock for a week to see what the voltage and temps fluctuate at before chasing 4.5?

My cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Thanks

Associate
I always like to base-line my system so I understand where I am starting from. What paste did you use for the cooler?

I would seriously recommend delidding your 4790k even if you dont plan to heavily overclock as its soo much cooler. At stock speeds/volts I knocked about 28c off and under load reduced it by a good 23-25c.

Soldato
Hey Everyone, wow so much info in this thread! I'm currently on a i5-4690, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, 1060 6GB, 16GB 1600Mhz system. I have just purchased a i7-4790K with a batch number of "X51......" from Vietnam.

Before my i5 I had a C2D E6550 which I overclocked so I have a little bit of understanding of the concept! I'm not chasing 4.6Ghz+ as I like to keep my temps and power (reasonably) down. I'm probably only chasing 4.5Ghz. Is it best if I just game/stress test my 4790K at stock for a week to see what the voltage and temps fluctuate at before chasing 4.5?

My cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Thanks
If you're worried about temps and fan speeds etc etc, then just run it at stock?

I run mine at stock and never seen any game I run tax it. My fans rarely spool up to anything beyond a medium speed to keep the temps in the 50s. It's a rare day they get to 60 and the fans have even go very fast.

In short, can't see a reason to go through the faff of overclocking it for speed you probably don't need, and probably won't even notice :)

eg:-
yXiprlw.jpg

Note: FPS is "0" because I flicked out of the game I was in to capture screen shot. Had been 60fps etc...

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the replies. My local computer shop has done my installs for years, they have always done a great job with the CPU installation with the thermal paste as I have never had any heating problems.

In terms of leaving it stock, I'm playing Battlefield 5 at the moment which chews up CPU's! So I would like to get to 4.5, maybe even 4.6 if I can with a low voltage (around 1.2) to get the most out of the CPU for this particular game.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. My local computer shop has done my installs for years, they have always done a great job with the CPU installation with the thermal paste as I have never had any heating problems.

In terms of leaving it stock, I'm playing Battlefield 5 at the moment which chews up CPU's! So I would like to get to 4.5, maybe even 4.6 if I can with a low voltage (around 1.2) to get the most out of the CPU for this particular game.
Well I would be fascinated (& surprised) if your CPU is anywhere near fully utilised for BF5 - Let me know, cos I'll be interested if it is :)

Associate
My 4790K arrived, it's a fairly late one I think: X542C101. Unfortunately it's not going in until early next week. I'll report back then on it :)

Can't wait!

Soldato
Looking at people's results in here in starting to think I should play around with my OC some more. Not really touched it sinced I got the CPU when they came out.

Been running at 4.8ghz @ 1.247v since I got it. Temps are around 60℃, so maybe delid and push/hope/pray for 5gz

Associate
Got my 4790K installed :)

Have just done some (stock) TimeSpy looping with the CPU benchmark to see what the temps and Vcore are:

What do you think? Room temp is 21 degrees and that is with the stock CPU fan curve, I'll most likely bump it up a little.

I also swapped out the stock CPU heatsink fan from my 212x with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan.

Cheers

open

Associate
Okay I like to live on the edge!!

Just changed the cpu Vcore to 1.2V and set the cpu to 4.5Ghz. Has dropped the temps by about 5 degrees as the default MSI bios pushed the Vcore to 1.29V with default clocks.

Have to go to work now but will do some stress testing tomorrow (OCCT, Cinebench & Intel XTU)

Associate
Okay I've played around a little bit. I've got to 4.5Ghz with a 1.21Vcore setting in the bios (which CPU-Z says is 1.232 under full load).

This gets me stable for the following:
Cinebench pass
Aida64 for 30mins
Intel XTU for 30mins
Realbench stress test for 15mins

When I load up OCCT and try the default stress test it crashes after 5 seconds!

Temperatures are in the 60-high 70's depending on stress test.

What are your thoughts please? I know that the length of the tests are not ideal and I should be running them for hours but I haven't had a chance to yet with work.

Cheers

10mins in to Aida64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jGdNR7lEDIoVutH3QBfkeRikKlPRRHpl

Bios settings: (sorry for the double up, don't think the images are loading?)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IbZYA7reE5HKU66U82gCanLoOWpe_pYk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19LtU4vW3fn3XFgtZUydNaxzaZhjWzU-T

view

view

Last edited:
Associate
I have since increased the voltage a tad to get better stability, for the same 4.5Ghz overclock. I now run it at 1.235v.

This has seen me get the following:
Cinebench CPU pass
RealBench stress test pass for 2 hours, 8GB ram
xTU passed for 30mins
Aida64 Stress CPU for 30mins pass
Aida64 Stress Cache for 30mins pass
Half an hour of Battlefield 5, no crashes

I know this is still "weak" in terms of time spent under the stress tests. I'm going to look at doing longer sessions soon.

The temps are around 30-40 at idle and 70 under stress with my 212X with a Noctua NF-12 fan.

When I run the FPU stress test with Aida64 my temps push the 85-90 degree mark which concerns me a little. This crashed at 1.230v after about 15mins however I'm a bit hesitant to run it again now at 1.235v given the temperatures.

Cheers

Associate
noob overclocker here after a bit of advice, ive got a 4790k and use the turbo overclock in the bios with an air cooler, the only game i play is arma that is a cpu hog so i want to push the cpu a bit further if possible, i was looking at a corsair h110i or h55 aio cooler, would i be able to hit 4.8 with this fan or do i need a full watercooled setup?

cheers lads

Back
Top Bottom