Are these fans enough?

Associate
Hi all,

I have a machine with the following specs:
  • i7-6700
  • GTX 1080
  • 16GB RAM
  • B150 PC MATE Mobo
Housed inside an NZXT H440 case. I've upgraded the stock front fans to Corsair ML120s (3 x 120mm),
I've added top fans (Corsair ML140) 2 x 140mm, and want to upgrade the back exhaust fan to a ML140 Pro.

I'm getting the current idle temperatures:
Cores: 20°C - 34°C
GPU: 49°C

The GPU temperature goes up under load to around 60-70°C.

Is this okay? Do I need to make any further upgrades to the fans/airflow? I want this rig to last as long as possible and to not have any issues around temperature.

Addendum:
**note on the ML120s, these are 4 pin fans. I've connected them to 3 pins the stock fans were connected to. Will this cause any issues?**

Associate
OP
Top fans are exhaust, front fans are intake.

Temperature of room is (average) 21°C

I had considered having the 3 front and 2 top be intakes because of how powerful they are, but I thought it would make sense to push air from the front and out at the top and back.

I'm open to be corrected about my setup/decisions.

Soldato
Hi all,

I have a machine with the following specs:
  • i7-6700
  • GTX 1080
  • 16GB RAM
  • B150 PC MATE Mobo
Housed inside an NZXT H440 case. I've upgraded the stock front fans to Corsair ML120s (3 x 120mm),
I've added top fans (Corsair ML140) 2 x 140mm, and want to upgrade the back exhaust fan to a ML140 Pro.

I'm getting the current idle temperatures:
Cores: 20°C - 34°C
GPU: 49°C

The GPU temperature goes up under load to around 60-70°C.

Is this okay? Do I need to make any further upgrades to the fans/airflow? I want this rig to last as long as possible and to not have any issues around temperature.

Addendum:
**note on the ML120s, these are 4 pin fans. I've connected them to 3 pins the stock fans were connected to. Will this cause any issues?**
Your temps are not really too hot.

I would either use the 2x ML140 or 3x ML120 fans as front intakes with all holes in fan mounting panel not covered by them blocked off so the air they push into case does not leak back in front. Also remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase the rear vent area around the GPU and thereby improve front to back airflow around GPU thus moving the heated air coming out of GPU back and out of case. I don't recommend top intakes unless things are really bad and there is no other way to get cool air into case. 2x140 / 3x120 front intakes should supply enough airflow even with the restrictive front, but if not maybe and intake in the front most top vent. With good fans like the MLs' you shouldn't need any exhaust fans. Simple physics says whatever air is pushing into case has to flow out. Using intake/ exhaust case fans is like using push/pull cooler or radiator fans .. they usually make more noise and only lower temps 1-2c.

Soldato
If the gpu is switching fans off at idle, then your temps are fine. Load temps are definitely ok.

Your fan orientation is the correct one, though I’d make sure the front fans are running faster than the exhaust if you want positive air pressure.

Back
Top Bottom