Just bought a Lenovo WMR headset in the Black Friday sales

Associate
I got an email this afternoon saying mine has shipped.

I see people saying that it needs a bluetooth 4 dongle. Is that for the headset or just the controllers? I might have a go with the controllers sometime but I mainly want it to use with ED so I won't be using the controllers then. If I don't need the dongle for the headset I don't have to rush to buy one.

First time I ran Elite in VR was on an i5 6400, 4GB! RAM and an RX480. Got very juddery on jumping systems but ran fine, much better with 8GB RAM mind you :D I didn't see much change when I went to a 7600K so I do think it's pretty GPU bound and although the 480 isn't the best card I still smile when I'm in a station just looking around.

I know the 480 was advertised as 'VR ready' but I got the impression that it was only just capable. I will just have to see how well it works.

Soldato
OP
My mate games in VR using a geforce 970 so you should be fine though may have to lower the detail slightly when gaming. I just have a Geforce 980 myself but it runs most games fine at 1440p so I'm sure both it and your 480 will be fine.

Regarding the motion controllers if you've never tried them in VR before I think you'll be amazed how good they are. I thought I'd mainly just play cockpit style games when I got my PSVR. But when you start using motion controllers with games like Superhot and Skyrim you realise what a game changer they are for immersion. It really takes gaming to the next level.

Just had confirmation this evening that my headset has been shipped!

Associate
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the 480 will be good enough to be usable even if I have to lower settings.

I was just after confirmation on whether the headset is usable without the bluetooth dongle for a game like ED? Otherwise I have to order a dongle before I can use it.

I haven't looked into what games are usable with the controllers yet. It never occurred to me that Skyrim would be. I haven't played it for a long time but it may be one to try.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the 480 will be good enough to be usable even if I have to lower settings.

I was just after confirmation on whether the headset is usable without the bluetooth dongle for a game like ED? Otherwise I have to order a dongle before I can use it.

I haven't looked into what games are usable with the controllers yet. It never occurred to me that Skyrim would be. I haven't played it for a long time but it may be one to try.

Haven't got my WMR yet, but I'm 99% sure bluetooth is just for the controllers.

Your 480 will have you a good time in most games, and SkyrimVR is definitely worth a go :)

Associate
Mine £109 Lenovo arrived today, not packaged very well at all. In fact it was just the actual box with stickers all over it which won't peel off without damaging the box :(

Struggled to set it up aswell because the hololens drivers couldn't be found even after updating everything & running the WMR checker and I had to do it all manually from device manager.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Mine £109 Lenovo arrived today, not packaged very well at all. In fact it was just the actual box with stickers all over it which won't peel off without damaging the box :(

Struggled to set it up aswell because the hololens drivers couldn't be found even after updating everything & running the WMR checker and I had to do it all manually from device manager.
All up and running now though? I'm curious to get some feedback on it once you've had a play, as I just bought one of these on behalf of a friend.

Associate
All up and running now though? I'm curious to get some feedback on it once you've had a play, as I just bought one of these on behalf of a friend.
Its very good for what i paid :) and the headset is very comfy but i,m suprised how warm it actually gets.
I can only really compare it to my PSVR but after 5/6 hours playing around with it i much prefer the PSVR over this simply because its sooooo much easier to use. The sweet spot on the Lenovo headset seems much smaller as it doesnt seem to have the eye ajustability. I didnt notice much difference in the visual clarity between the two versions of REZ Infinite and Superhot i own on both formats. I,m also limited to space around my PC so a swivel chair is a MUST. I was actually really suprised with the weight of the headset when wearing it it feels very light compared to PSVR which was good and it didnt fog up at all and i like how you can flip it up from your face to grab a drink etc.
Overall im happy with it and if you have never tried VR before this is a good buy, i just wish i had a bit more room around my PC to enjoy it more.

Associate
The sweet spot on the Lenovo headset seems much smaller as it doesnt seem to have the eye ajustability.

You can adjust the IPD on WMR headsets - it is a software setting.

It's a bit of a trick to find, but you go into the WMR application, hit settings, and then headset. I can't remember exactly sorry, but the IPD will have an effect on your visuals.

Also don't quote me that all WMR headsets have it, the one I had did and it seemed to work OK.

Cheers

Edit: Your WMR should have better visuals than the PSVR as well, much higher res and all that.

Finally, you can enable some really top notch ASW / Motion Smoothing, by doing the following:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234
https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1734336452585030651/

Associate
You can adjust the IPD on WMR headsets - it is a software setting.

It's a bit of a trick to find, but you go into the WMR application, hit settings, and then headset. I can't remember exactly sorry, but the IPD will have an effect on your visuals.

Also don't quote me that all WMR headsets have it, the one I had did and it seemed to work OK.

Cheers

Edit: Your WMR should have better visuals than the PSVR as well, much higher res and all that.

Finally, you can enable some really top notch ASW / Motion Smoothing, by doing the following:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234
https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1734336452585030651/

Thanks for the links,very handy ;) and maybe its because im using a GTX970 but right now i still cant tell the difference in the visuals from my ps4pro/psvr setup. Time to do some tweaking :)

Associate
I'm just setting up WMR support in our game at the moment, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, particularly the tracking (without lighthouses/sensors) and the image quality. Being able to get the headsets for that price is a real bargain :)

Soldato
OP
I'm a big fan of PSVR and feel it's pretty much on a par visually compared to the other current gen headsets. However I would say that the oculus go headset I had was noticeably better than PSVR when watching 3D movies thanks to the higher resolution . I'd kind of assumed the WMR headsets would also be noticeably better?

Soldato
Yeah, I bought one on that deal as well.. but... mine is DOA :mad:
Already tried in 3 machines and it doesn't work, sending it back for a replacement.
they way they shipped was unbelievable, they sent on the regular box, full of stickers :eek::eek:, no external protection at all.

Associate
Yeah, I bought one on that deal as well.. but... mine is DOA :mad:
Already tried in 3 machines and it doesn't work, sending it back for a replacement.
they way they shipped was unbelievable, they sent on the regular box, full of stickers :eek::eek:, no external protection at all.
I though mine was DOA aswell as it wouldn't power up or detect it on my pc at all. Turns out it was a hololens driver issue. I know exactly how you feel about the awful packaging aswell.

Soldato
I though mine was DOA aswell as it wouldn't power up or detect it on my pc at all. Turns out it was a hololens driver issue. I know exactly how you feel about the awful packaging aswell.
What about the hololens driver?
I reinstalled the driver, tried different versions, on one of the 3 pcs I tested I did a fresh windows instalation.

Back
Top Bottom