• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is R270x to 1060 a good upgrade fo 1080p

Associate
So we built a PC for gaming for my second son from spare parts from my old systems but he (like the rest of us) would like higher quality graphic's.
Sticking on a 1980x1020 144Hz monitor would a Nvidia 1060 gpu be a noticeable upgrade?
CPU wise he's running i7 4790k.

Thanks.

Soldato
It could be either as it will arrive after the GPU, budget for GPU is up to £250(ish) he will buy a monitor for himself from his Saturday job money.

This is actually important as the two variable refresh rate technologies are different and incompatible. The two should be purchased with each other in mind. If he's going to purchase a Freesync monitor you want to be purchasing an AMD GPU, not a GTX 1060; if he's going to purchase a Gsync monitor then you don't want to be purchasing an AMD GPU.

Associate
OP
Should have mentioned it’s a small form factor build Parvum X2 itx case with a 650w psu, in the real world is there much difference in the power consumption between 1060 or the RX580 and the heat they give out? I guess both are lower than the current R270x.
As for monitors an actual model hasn’t been decided on so he’s free to go either way with GPU.

Soldato
So we built a PC for gaming for my second son from spare parts from my old systems but he (like the rest of us) would like higher quality graphic's.
Sticking on a 1980x1020 144Hz monitor would a Nvidia 1060 gpu be a noticeable upgrade?
CPU wise he's running i7 4790k.

Thanks.

Why get a GTX 1060? AMD is competitive at this price point. The AMD RX580 is generally superior with more VRAM and there are deals on it at the moment for around the £200 mark: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37p-sp.html
and https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18l-pc.html

What ever you do do not get the GTX 1060 3GB as it's a slower card than the 6GB as well as having half the VRAM. Get an RX 570 over the 1060 3GB any day for around £150-170 with 8GB VRAM:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38g-sp.html and
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37r-sp.html

Also, an equivalent Freesync monitor is hundreds of pounds cheaper in some cases than the GSYNC one with exactly the same panel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Should have mentioned it’s a small form factor build Parvum X2 itx case with a 650w psu, in the real world is there much difference in the power consumption between 1060 or the RX580 and the heat they give out? I guess both are lower than the current R270x.
As for monitors an actual model hasn’t been decided on so he’s free to go either way with GPU.
A 650W PSU is easily more than enough for an RX580, minimum recommended is 500W. What brand and model is it? The cards I've linked have very good coolers so there will be absolutely no problems with heat and noise, they will run cool and quiet. Also, in the real world the power difference is negligible and will be pennies a year.

Soldato
I forgot to mention that you can also choose 2 free games from this list: Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5 and The Division 2 all due for release in 2019. This is great added value too.

Soldato
Be sure to ask in the monitor section which Freesync monitor is best for your needs before buying one as some will have inadequate Freesync ranges or other problems. You need one with Low Frame Rate Compensation for the best experience and I don't want you to get one without this as it makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom