NAS help

Associate
I currently have an aging Synology DS212 DiskStation NAS that I want to replace with something not so expensive but fast ideally.

I do photography so want to move my photos to NAS storage but I really need it to be fast. I haven't been following the NAS market much lately so have no idea what's good on the market now.

Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Associate
OP
How fast? 10gbe fast or just hdd fast?

thanks for reply. I definitely need something faster than HDD. I am currently editing photos that are stored on the external HDD. I think 10gb would be very nice to have.

This looks like a nice solutions but is going to be a little pricey including all drives. Wonder is there's anything cheaper.

** NO Competitor please **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Many qnap Nas boxes have a pci-e slot, from their 2 bay solutions up and a relatively inexpensive 10gbe card. Maybe look at YouTube for possibilities. Or ask @robbieonthetube from Nas compares

Permabanned
I am far from an expert on this, but I would be tempted to spend some time experimenting how beneficial such a system would be to you. The reason I say that is becuase I do pretty much the same as you on one of my PC's, and even moving data from one disk to another inside the PC I am getting less than the equivalent of 1Gbps. This limitation is for the disk given the quantity and size of files I am using. So my thoughts are that you have to be very careful here that you don't spend a lot of money and practicallty achieve very little. It may come down more to the disk drives you have than the NAS... I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom