Spider-Man (PS4)

Associate
Nope, I'm playing on a PC monitor but the game is still pretty. I imagine it looks great with HDR but there are games that look great even without it. I forgot to turn off those, I'll try later.

If you ever get the opportunity get a proper hdr tv; 2 years in and hdr still blows me away on the KS8000. Games without it like RDR2 I can’t play as I can’t get immersed in the visuals as they just seem so flat.

HDR is the most impressive leap in graphics for many gens imo. It’s night and day on a decent tv.

V F

V F

Soldato
If you ever get the opportunity get a proper hdr tv; 2 years in and hdr still blows me away on the KS8000. Games without it like RDR2 I can’t play as I can’t get immersed in the visuals as they just seem so flat.

HDR is the most impressive leap in graphics for many gens imo. It’s night and day on a decent tv.

I saw somewhere they were doing fake HDR...

Soldato
Really having fun with this now. Such a joy to play a sold title that just works as intended. Good graphics, fun traversal, the map is really detailed, busy and ideal size. I'm also liking all the little distractions that break up the story. The story itself is pretty poor so far (game shows I'm around 1/3 through) but the rest is solid. 8/10 so far.

Caporegime
Story really picks up as it goes along. If you're a spidey fan, you'll love it.

Only parts of the game I hated where were you had to play as MJ/miles......

Soldato
Right, that's me 100%'d this and the expansions and I must say I'm now thoroughly sick of it.

Thoughts are:
- It's not as good as the Arkham games.
- A run through of the story missions in the base game is great fun but it's ruined by the token system and gradual unlocking of the lists of things to do.
- I'd read a post somewhere where a guy was complaining that you're constantly fighting against where Spidey is trying to go and this is true to an extent. Sometimes it's infuriating as you get caught randomly sticking to the scenery.

All that said, it's a decent game and I'll play the next expansion 7/10 from me.

Maybe I'm just a crabbit auld sod and am sick of this type of open world game.

Associate
Right, that's me 100%'d this and the expansions and I must say I'm now thoroughly sick of it.

Thoughts are:
- It's not as good as the Arkham games.
- A run through of the story missions in the base game is great fun but it's ruined by the token system and gradual unlocking of the lists of things to do.
- I'd read a post somewhere where a guy was complaining that you're constantly fighting against where Spidey is trying to go and this is true to an extent. Sometimes it's infuriating as you get caught randomly sticking to the scenery.

All that said, it's a decent game and I'll play the next expansion 7/10 from me.

Maybe I'm just a crabbit auld sod and am sick of this type of open world game.

Having just finished this and 100% on the achievements, I have to totally disagree. I have played all of the Arkham's and this is at least as good as Arkham Knight. The token system is great, it gives you a reason to do the side stuff as you need the tokens to unlock suits which is no different to skill points to unlock Bat Suit abilities. And never really got caught up against a building or found Spiderman fighting against the direction I wished to go. It's like you're playing a different game! I loved it.

Soldato
Having just finished this and 100% on the achievements, I have to totally disagree. I have played all of the Arkham's and this is at least as good as Arkham Knight. The token system is great, it gives you a reason to do the side stuff as you need the tokens to unlock suits which is no different to skill points to unlock Bat Suit abilities. And never really got caught up against a building or found Spiderman fighting against the direction I wished to go. It's like you're playing a different game! I loved it.
Fair enough.

You're wrong though. :D

I'm not trying to be argumentative and can accept that you love this game - I thought God of War was brilliant from start to finish and other folk moaned about that - but it's interesting that you mention Arkham Knight. That's my least favourite of the three Arkham games and I just think City beats this hands down (although maybe that's the nostagia talking).

I don't have a problem with the token system in principle, it was just that for me every time I cleared a task and thought I could move on they dumped more of the same on me e.g. do 5 crimes in each district - no problem. Then there's 5 demon crimes, 5 convict crimes, then there's 5 sable crimes, then 5 maggia crimes! FFS! Enough already with the crimes!

A bit more variety would have helped, especially if these things spawned off parts of the storyline. It's just padding for the sake of it.

I can't remember how they dealt with this in Arkham City? Didn't you just gain XP from playing the game that you could spend on the suit upgrades?

Associate
Fair enough.

You're wrong though. :D

I'm not trying to be argumentative and can accept that you love this game - I thought God of War was brilliant from start to finish and other folk moaned about that - but it's interesting that you mention Arkham Knight. That's my least favourite of the three Arkham games and I just think City beats this hands down (although maybe that's the nostagia talking).

I don't have a problem with the token system in principle, it was just that for me every time I cleared a task and thought I could move on they dumped more of the same on me e.g. do 5 crimes in each district - no problem. Then there's 5 demon crimes, 5 convict crimes, then there's 5 sable crimes, then 5 maggia crimes! FFS! Enough already with the crimes!

A bit more variety would have helped, especially if these things spawned off parts of the storyline. It's just padding for the sake of it.

I can't remember how they dealt with this in Arkham City? Didn't you just gain XP from playing the game that you could spend on the suit upgrades?

From what I remember it was all XP based in the Arkham games so every mission, side mission and foe would add to you getting another skill point. But I understand not everyone will like the same game, there are even crazy people who didn't like The Witcher. ;) I do hope they make another Spiderman and perhaps make at the least crimes a little less demanding. Mind you from what I recall in the older Spiderman games they had a fame system, so if you ignored a crime you would be penalised and those weren't a set number it was all the time.

Soldato
I didn't grab this on release as I had far to many other things going on.
However I see it's £36 on PSN this weekend for Digital Deluxe, so I'm assuming that will also have all of the DLC.
May pick it up and give it a go.
Didn't help that I picked up Detroit and God of War over Black Friday (and then after securing some move controllers I grabbed Beat Sabre) - I'll now have 3 rather epic games to keep me occupied.

V F

V F

Soldato

It worked well for my playstyle shooting off walls into people or using the walls to dodge hits and then bouncing into people to take them out. I loved sticking to doors, sides of cars, buses and whatnot. Then in some ways it felt like The Matrix Reloaded scene fighting all the Agent Smith's.

Back
Top Bottom