Cant get my PC running after cooler replacement.

Associate
I posted a thread a few days ago because my CPU temps were climbing in a few minutes till the PC shut down. I got rid of the AIO H100i cooler and found a Noctua air cooler on eBay and spent some time today fitting it, which was quite a hassle.

Once it was all done I plugged everything back in and hit the power button. The PC came to life and all the fans and the cooler looked to be working fine but I’m getting no signal to the monitors. I spent a bit swapping monitors about and checking the connections. Then I went through the PC making sure everything was properly seated, checking the RAM and the GPU had not come loose.

I’m getting nothing, the keyboard LEDs don’t light up the monitors don’t come on. The board is an ASUS P9X79 WS and it has a Q-Code LED readout on the board but its dead, nothing. There’s also supposed to be some beeps but I’ve never heard them anyhow.

I’m worried that my CPU has died, do they do that? Would that account for the lack of anything? What else could course this? Anyone ideas welcome.

Soldato
When you installed the air cooler how did you tighten it up, did you go round in a circle or did you go from one corner to the opposite one?

First thing I would do is loosen off the cooler a bit as doing it up too tight could be bending the board or cpu.

It seems like the pc is powering up but not detecting the cpu properly as my sons pc did this when I used a new cpu on a old board which needed a bios update first to fix the issue

Associate
OP
OK that's a good start, I'll try uninstalling it an then putting it back on. It's a Noctua D14 and with the supplied bracket there are only two screws to tighten. I did alternate between them untill they came to a hard stop that I didn't push.

Associate
OP
That was it! The ATX had come loose. I've never been so delighted at an insult. I was already miserably browsing the costs of the latest CPUs and boards. Thanks DoneADougal, I thought because the fans were working that meant the CPU had power, you learn something every day.

Associate
If it helps, I once spent a couple of hours asking online why my mobo couldn't detect any of my hard drives after a rebuild. I checked, double-checked all the SATA leads, updated the BIOS, took everything else out, had no idea what was wrong.
I sat back in my chair and sighed to myself... then spotted the modular lead with all the SATA plugs on it, sat on the desk, rather than plugged into the PSU.

I think we've all been there at some point...!

Soldato
The moment you realise that its such a stupid and silly mistake, you are more relieved than upset.
I think that this mistake, is one that we have all been and done at some point.

Only the other week, I got so frustrated that I could not get my PC running, that I took the motherboard out and like a child, I threw it in a temper!

Then I realised something...

I switched the plug off at the wall when I took it apart... I usually just yank the plug out of the PSU

I killed a good Mobo too!

Such is the problems with staying up till stupid oclock to finish off a system.

Associate
A good friend of mine was too excited to get up and running and forgot mobo standoffs on a new build, fried the board. He bought another board, got really hyped up... And did the exact same thing again! Lucky guy got away with it though, second time round it didn't boot but also didn't die so he could take it off, pop in standoffs and all was good.

Back
Top Bottom