Kitchen Gadgets!

Soldato
I will start by saying that a absolutely love a new kitchen gadget.

Black Friday is near and I love me an excuse to buy a new gadget. I started this thread to ask you guys what top gadgets you guys have and use in the kitchen fairly regularly and what sets it apart from just the standard blender/cooker.

At the moment the gadgets that are regularly used are:

Phillips Airfry - The original airfryer. Cooks in minimal time and crisps up food perfectly with no oil. Bought it to try one two years ago and have used it nearly daily since. These have become so popular you can grab a cheap brand one for 1/4 of the price now!

Pressure King Pro - A electric pressure cooker that has a million functions. Steam cook, pressure cook, slow cook, sear, frying - it can do it all. The pressure cook function has to be my favorite, can smash out meals you would normally slow cook in 4/5 hours in about 25-30 minutes.

Sistema Microwave rice cooker - Yes it is just a bit of Tupperware but don't knock it! Has a little internal drip try that collects the steam and keeps most of the moisture in the container as well as stops the mixture boiling rice froth into the microwave. Perfect steamed rice with no mess.

What's you guys' go to gadgets?

Soldato
Pressure King Pro just brilliant for so many quick meals. Overnight Porridge really works well. Opposite to this is my Anova which is just brilliant to get meals exactly right every time. Not done anything big in it recently but love chucking a couple of frozen sealed tuna steaks in and a quick sear after 45 minutes, just the easiest meal with some potatoes and veg.

Simple yet effective is my Joseph Joseph Cut and Carve Board which has carving spikes one side and plain board the other side and is angled down so all the juices are caught in the bottom to use however you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q7E...=9045774&hvtargid=pla-364195456964&th=1&psc=1

Then Thermapen is just used so often everyone needs one in their kitchen.

Soldato
That's a great idea for a chopping board, might have to pick one up as well.

As for gadgets that I use, I don't really use any to be honest. We have a relatively small kitchen so storage is limited (it could do with a redesign to be fair) so limited on what we keep.

Couple of gadgets I would like to get my hands are a potato ricer for super smooth mash and a waffle machine. Used to have waffles when I was a kid and loved them, would like to start doing my own.

Soldato
A electric pressure cooker that has a million functions. Steam cook, pressure cook, slow cook, sear, frying - it can do it all.
(deep frying that is) will it do rice too ?
I would like a dedicated Zojirushi rice cooker, that keep all the vapour in, and keeps it warm;
I find microwaving rice unpredictable, especially for the long cooking brown rice, I typically use.

How does overnight porridge work too, yes a timer to get it ready for breakfast would be good, but if you premix the night before it will be soggy.

Soldato
OP
(deep frying that is) will it do rice too ?
I would like a dedicated Zojirushi rice cooker, that keep all the vapour in, and keeps it warm;
I find microwaving rice unpredictable, especially for the long cooking brown rice, I typically use.

How does overnight porridge work too, yes a timer to get it ready for breakfast would be good, but if you premix the night before it will be soggy.

I mean shallow frying, mainly used to just brown meats and sweat onions before pressure cooking or slow cooking with the PKP.

Microwaving rice is unpredictable due to the steam and how moisture is removed when it can bubble out of the container. The microwave container prevents most moisture escaping and anything from bubbling out but you do need to undo the lid with 10 minutes of it cooking to prevent the rice overcooking. I use to use a dedicated rice cooker but Tbh i could use the pressure king pro the same way as my rice cooker using the rice function. Once finished it does keep things warm. Brown rice cooks well in it too. The timings are all super quick as the pressure allows you to steam at higher than boiling.

I have never done the overnight porridge but i imagine you would just mix it up in the morning and tell the cooker to blitz it, as it is build to make long slow cooks super quick.

Associate
Pretty much gadget free, due to space limitations, but I was planning to buy the air fryer linked half-price on the Black Friday deals thread. By the time I'd decided though, the deal had ended. I did swing for the Joseph Joseph four coloured graphite chopping board set stored in a folder. I often find I need more than one board and will get great use out of that.

The Lodge cast-iron Dutch oven that also doubles as a skillet is on my list.

Last edited:
Caporegime
KitchenAid for all our baking needs.

Sage Fast Slow Pro pressure cooker, love this thing!

Meater digital bluetooth thermometer.

Ageing Bosch food processor for all my grating needs (I make sauerkraut pretty regularily).

One of those egg boiler thingies, 7 eggs perfectly boiled in just a few minutes (we tend to have a bunch of boiled eggs in the fridge as easy healthy snacks).

Whynter ICM-200LS ice cream maker.

And this badboy popcorn machine :D

Caporegime
A lot of this stuff sound great, especially the pressure king pro, but at some point doesn't it get a bit silly with thing like egg boilers and omelette makers? A pot is an egg boiler and a pan is an omelette maker!

Soldato
OP
A lot of this stuff sound great, especially the pressure king pro, but at some point doesn't it get a bit silly with thing like egg boilers and omelette makers? A pot is an egg boiler and a pan is an omelette maker!

Yes, it does get silly with space but it depends of you can justify it. My pressure king pro does slow cooking, steaming, pressure cooking and so arguably it is something that is used all the time and takes up the same amount of room as a rice cooker, steamer or slow cooker while doing all those functions.

The airfryer is discrete and can be tucked away in the corner or some where but i use it instead of my oven for the vast majority of quick things.

In the end you need to balance space and convenience. For me an egg boiler isn't that convenient but it sounds like i don't go anywhere near as many eggs as krooton.

Soldato
The pressure king is great for so many things, rice, porridge, risotto, stews and can things quick or slow! I have a few other gadgets like a spiralizer and nutri bullet type thing which are great but there are other tools that would do the job if you could only have one thing. I'd like more but I'm also space limited. Having the right pots, pans and utensils is more important than gadgets!

Associate

I got an omelette maker, and the main reason I got one is that the stove/hob in my flat have really really bad temperature control, and also only 3 levels of heat which made it really difficult to make a good omelette.

Soldato
seem to have missed an electric wafflemaker from the list of dangerous to own gadgets - use a cuisinart one, but,
if you have the appropriate hob, a paddles one, I think Ray posted before, would be good, or,
a kitchenaid rotating one, if I win the lottery.

edit : gratuitous picture

45239180575_013e7205fc_o_d.jpg

stove/hob in my flat have really really bad temperature control
portable induction plate ? earlier thread on this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is pressure king pro just an expensive brand of multi cooker, if so I love mine that I got from Aldi.
Stews and rice get done most. Rice in 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom