meh... tiny core linux?

Soldato
Do people really enjoy all that piddling about?

It doesn't stay tiny when you start adding applications and all the dependencies...

Soldato
I used to years ago. It's just the core your getting, ok for basic internet or testing. It's quite an amazing feat to run such a small OS with so much functionality

Soldato
OP
I used to years ago. It's just the core your getting, ok for basic internet or testing. It's quite an amazing feat to run such a small OS with so much functionality

Pure 64

I was impressed years ago but i'm not any more , light weight browsers like Dillo are a constant battle with broken webpages and crap media/html5 support and Firefox wants tons of installs like GTK3 so i was left with the feeling i might as well just use Ubuntu.

I'd use tiny core if i needed a small boot disk but i couldn't use it as a daily driver.

Soldato
I used to wonder why people spent so much time and effort on these projects. They probably get nothing from it financially.

Soldato
OP
Considering the amount of time they spend stripping down light weight distro's to make them small they then spend forever fixing and patching what they have broken , so i wonder if this idea that small distro's are more secure is really true considering security patches might not be working as intended if other parts are broken.

Soldato
TinyCore is useful for some things. It's the de facto method to flash new firmware onto an APU for example. Light, quick, does the job from USB in seconds. For desktop I'd be looking more toward Arch base + minimal packages however. If you really needed a micro-light distro to customise to a particular purpose/job, Apline is probably the 'best' new kid on the block. NAS? Embedded controller? Network switch (yes switch, not router)? Alpine has you covered. It's extremely fast, light and tiny too. Horses for courses and all that.

Back
Top Bottom