MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Thanks for input people.

Does anyone have experience of Ohlins?

Yes - had them on my Mk3 (since sold :().

They were brilliant, not quite as compliant as a factory car (the more solid top mount design will see to that) but still very livable even on crap roads, and the body control was fantastic. I have tried several different suspension setups on my 5 (factory bilstein dampers plus Eibach lowering springs, Meister-R Zeta-S coilovers, BBR Koni and BBR lowering springs, and finally the Ohlins) and they were the best - what I should have bought in the first place.

Man of Honour
I know Ohlins are highly respected and typically a top of the tree sort of product, but comments about making the ride hard does worry me as it is my wife's car, not mine.

Hmmmm might be better to just replace stock with new versions of an all round quality damper.

Another questions...

If I am changing dampers and sprints, what else should I get done at the same time chaps?

Man of Honour
Less concerned about price because frankly an MX5 is really cheap compared to what I am used to spending on cars.

Quite refreshing actually as I don't feel I am getting the full 'pull your pants down' experience I am used to.

Soldato
Give blink motorsport a call, Fraser has a mk3 mx5 which he runs as a daily driver that has ohlins fitted, I imagine he'd let you drive it if you wanted to see what the ohlins are like.

Soldato
The car also has the rotrex supercharger kit (~300bhp) and AP Racing big brake kit on the front, you may come away wanting more than just the suspension :D

Which Rotrex? Mine made 198 whp and I think I can get to about 250 ish with a pulley reduction before it starts over spinning.

FWIW I had Meister R Zetecs and love them, though I daily a Clio Cup so I'm probably not a good comparator for a wife's requirements.

Soldato
surely if its the car for the wife then just stick the oem replacements or b6/b8 bilsteins and forget about it?

I doubt that she's going to appreciate the ohlins haha.

Soldato
Never seen a rotrex on a mk2, whose kit is it? I really liked the way the rotrex drove in the Mk3 to be honest, just felt like a bigger engine with lots more shove, you had to rev it to get the power still which made it plenty involving. Kinder on transmission parts too, when compared with a turbo.

Back
Top Bottom