2nd monitor not working

Associate
Hey guys,

I really need your help. I am not too good with PCs, so I can't solve that myself.

I was using the PC with two monitors - one with HDMI cable, and the second one - with DVI cable. Everything as working with no issues. Two days ago I was moving desks and unplugged everything, and when I connected it back - the DVI monitor stopped working. I tried different cable - same thing. I tried connecting only one monitor with DVI, with no HDMI monitor connected - and in this case I see the BIOS stuff, but when it comes to loading Windows - I see the windows logo for a split second - and then it just goes black. That happens on both monitors. As soon as I connect the second one with HDMI - I can see windows on it, and the DVI monitor goes into Check your cable.

I am really desperate and I really need your help.

The video card I'm using is GeForce 1080Ti ROG Strix OC. Didn't do any overclocking at all.

Can you please help me?

Thank you in advance!

Associate
OP
So I’ve tried to do something a few more times and found out that if I connect any of the two monitors via DVI with no second monitor, it has the signal, it shows me BIOS, then the Windows loading screen and as soon as it finishes - the screen goes black. On both monitors. Does it mean that DVI port on the video card is dead? If so, how is it showing me BIOS? HDMI works with no issues.

Thank you!

Associate
It could be a driver or software issue. If you had a spare hard drive I'd try doing a fresh install if Windows on it and see if you have the same problem (or create a new partition for this).

Associate
OP
Thank you Phil,

I’ll try to do so, the problem is I can’t open the case, as it is on warranty, so will try to figure out how to make that.

Thank you!

Associate
Before you do what I suggested, it might be worth trying a couple of simpler things. Try uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics driver, and if that doesn't help, try changing the default monitor in the Windows display settings.

Does the monitor connected with DVI not work even when it's the only one connected?

Associate
OP
That’s the thing. If I connect it as a second monitor - the system doesn’t detect it. If I connect it as the only one - I go through BIOS to windows loading and as soon as windows logo disappears - it goes black. If I connect second one with hdmi at this point - all is working on it, with no second monitor detected.

Associate
Very strange, so the DVI port is working but Windows doesn't detect the monitor. That's what makes me think it's a software issue, not hardware.

Associate
OP
I also noticed that when I change the signal on the monitor to vga, I get the flying message that says no connection. When I choose dvi - the screen is just black and the light on the bottom of the screen is blinking. Not sure it has any value though..

Soldato
Thank you Phil,

I’ll try to do so, the problem is I can’t open the case, as it is on warranty, so will try to figure out how to make that.

Thank you!
If it’s in warranty can you get support from the supplier?

Warranty or not what’s stopping you opening it? If there’s a warranty void sticker that they actually enforce then make sure you never buy anything from them in the future.

You could try booting into a Linux Live environment for testing.

Associate
OP
If it’s in warranty can you get support from the supplier?

Warranty or not what’s stopping you opening it? If there’s a warranty void sticker that they actually enforce then make sure you never buy anything from them in the future.

You could try booting into a Linux Live environment for testing.
Now that you said this, I am not sure if there is a sticker on opening the case itself, so I’ll look into that when I’ll be back home.

I contacted support today, just thought I could get help here faster.

I got it from overclockers actually

Associate
Yes you should be ok to open the case, I ordered a PC from here a few years ago for my brother and they said it's an open case warranty. So you could probably make changes to the system without affecting the warranty.

Associate
OP
I will try to re-seat the card when I'll be back home then, maybe this will help.. The thing that worries me the most, is that it goes black as soon as it should go into windows login screen, so when the graphic acceleration actually comes into place. So I am really afraid it can be the fault in the card :(

Associate
you can try to downlaod Ubuntu onto a USB stick and boot from it with only the DVI screen connected.If you can see bios, i very much doubt any of the hardware is faulty. Most likely just windows settings

Associate
OP
you can try to downlaod Ubuntu onto a USB stick and boot from it with only the DVI screen connected.If you can see bios, i very much doubt any of the hardware is faulty. Most likely just windows settings
That sounds so complicated for me :D Can you please give me more inside on how to do that if you have time? Like, where to get Ubuntu, and all the steps after that?
Thank you!

Associate
OP
I also what to get HDMI to DVI adapter and try to connect the second monitor this way, through second HDMI port on graphics card. Just to see if this will help or not.

Back
Top Bottom