Captain Marvel (2019)

Caporegime
So Marvel have got the casting for just about every character absolutely spot on so far. I'm willing to give her a chance and actually decide after I've seen the film. A strange notion for some others to consider I know.

Caporegime
What has "SJW'in" got to do with any of this?

Literally nothing, Lord-Jaffa and a few other people here like to throw that world around like confetti.

Apparently it's "SJW'in" to say that I think people should wait for the finished film, rather than a 90 second first trailer, before judging how well the actor/actress did with a role.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most films starring Jennifer Lawrence spring to mind.

Robert DeNero's been bad in a lot of stuff, so being a great actor in some films is no guarantee of quality in every film.

Literally nothing, Lord-Jaffa and a few other people here like to throw that world around like confetti.

Apparently it's "SJW'in" to say that I think people should wait for the finished film, rather than a 90 second first trailer, before judging how well the actor/actress did with a role.

We're judging the trailer. You can hardly judge the full film if it's not been released. If you want to wait for the full film, or Infinity War 2, or the next ten years of MCU Captain Marvel films, you can come back to the thread when you take your own advice and are "allowed" to talk about it.

It seems to me that if it wasn't for the lead being a woman, we wouldn't be seeing all this white knighting instead of actually addressing why Larson seems to bland and disinterested in what promotional material we've been given so far. Every other actor in the trailer at least emotes something. Larson emotes nothing except boredom.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, why cast an Oscar winning actress? Ridiculous.
:rolleyes:

Couple of reasons I can think of:

Money - The Oscar win sometimes means taking the opportunity to 'cash in' & earning a few bob off the back of said win. (Doesn't always happen though, I think it depends on the agent said actor/actress is under contract to)

Most Hollywood actors/actresses play at some point in their careers 'a defining role' for which they will always be remembered even if they win an Oscar for a lesser role or they do win.
Examples
Schwarzenegger = Terminator
H Ford = Solo/Jones/Deckard
Stallone = Rambo/Rocky
Downey = Iron man

Even though Natalie Portman won an Oscar over 10 after first starring in Star Wars, she will be remembered for the latter rather than the former. Julia Roberts = same for Pretty Woman. As stated earlier defining role & Oscar win sometimes happens. Silence of the Lambs prime example. Forrest Gump another.

My point is Larson will be remembered years later for this role rather than the Oscar win to Joe public.

Soldato
So Marvel have got the casting for just about every character absolutely spot on so far. I'm willing to give her a chance and actually decide after I've seen the film. A strange notion for some others to consider I know.

i agree - marvel have expertly cast everyone so far in their movies - i'm going to guess they know what they are doing.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So a trailer tonight by all accounts. Followed by the A4 trailer mid week, if 'they' are to be believed.

femal4o9wx121.jpg

Soldato
Thought it was pretty good too. Not giving too much away, which I like... As for Brie's voice, I didn't really notice anything worse/different than the leads of most other movies of this ilk. Anyway, it might be symptomatic of her character being unsure of herself, where she's from etc. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom