2nd monitor not working

Soldato
Ubuntu comes from Ubuntu.com where you'll find a download link.

Download Ubuntu Desktop (doesn't matter which version).

You'll find instructions from creating a bootable USB stick or DVD at the same place.

Boot from your newly created USB stick/DVD.

Associate
OP
Ubuntu comes from Ubuntu.com where you'll find a download link.

Download Ubuntu Desktop (doesn't matter which version).

You'll find instructions from creating a bootable USB stick or DVD at the same place.

Boot from your newly created USB stick/DVD.
Thank you so much sir, will try it today

Associate
That sounds so complicated for me :D Can you please give me more inside on how to do that if you have time? Like, where to get Ubuntu, and all the steps after that?
Thank you!
Download the ISO image from here http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.1/ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
Once there, check out this guide on how to create a bootable USB stick from it: https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
Boot from USB. It will start loading Ubuntu and will suggest 2 options - Install Ubuntu or simply boot from the USB without installation. Make sure you select to boot only, NOT install. You should see your PC booting into Ubuntu. Check out if your DVI monitor is working or not. Ubuntu comes with lots of drivers, so you should not need anything extra.
At the end, switch off your PC, unplug the USB and you should be back to your Windows.

I also what to get HDMI to DVI adapter and try to connect the second monitor this way, through second HDMI port on graphics card. Just to see if this will help or not.
In my experience a lot of convereters don't actually work and you will see black screen with them. May be waste of money.

Associate
OP
Download the ISO image from here http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.1/ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
Once there, check out this guide on how to create a bootable USB stick from it: https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
Boot from USB. It will start loading Ubuntu and will suggest 2 options - Install Ubuntu or simply boot from the USB without installation. Make sure you select to boot only, NOT install. You should see your PC booting into Ubuntu. Check out if your DVI monitor is working or not. Ubuntu comes with lots of drivers, so you should not need anything extra.
At the end, switch off your PC, unplug the USB and you should be back to your Windows.

In my experience a lot of convereters don't actually work and you will see black screen with them. May be waste of money.

Thank you so much for the guide! Will try it today!

I can buy the cable HDMI to DVI, with no adapter then

Soldato
I've never had a problem with HDMI to DVI-D adapters or cables and use them fairly regularly. It's only a mechanical change (the signal isn't processed) so there's little to go wrong.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I really need your help. I am not too good with PCs, so I can't solve that myself.

I was using the PC with two monitors - one with HDMI cable, and the second one - with DVI cable. Everything as working with no issues. Two days ago I was moving desks and unplugged everything, and when I connected it back - the DVI monitor stopped working. I tried different cable - same thing. I tried connecting only one monitor with DVI, with no HDMI monitor connected - and in this case I see the BIOS stuff, but when it comes to loading Windows - I see the windows logo for a split second - and then it just goes black. That happens on both monitors. As soon as I connect the second one with HDMI - I can see windows on it, and the DVI monitor goes into Check your cable.

I am really desperate and I really need your help.

The video card I'm using is GeForce 1080Ti ROG Strix OC. Didn't do any overclocking at all.

Can you please help me?

Thank you in advance!

I don’t know if it’s been covered yet as I haven’t read the rest of the thread, but if you are connecting 2 screens to the graphics card you need to make sure nvidia surround is active in the nvidia settings otherwise connect the 2nd monitor to the motherboard if it has video input and it will work fine that way assuming you have Integrated graphics turned on aswell.

Associate
OP
I don’t know if it’s been covered yet as I haven’t read the rest of the thread, but if you are connecting 2 screens to the graphics card you need to make sure nvidia surround is active in the nvidia settings otherwise connect the 2nd monitor to the motherboard if it has video input and it will work fine that way assuming you have Integrated graphics turned on aswell.
Thank you, I have no idea what is nvidia surround, so I will check it at home. It is in the nvidia control panel, right?
I do have the Integrated card, and it is on, but it only has HDMI port, so I can't connect DVI monitor there.

I managed to find 1060 for a test for this evening and also the display port to vga cable, so I will have quite a few options for tonight to test it out:

1. Re-insert the current card to see if it will help
2. Plug the monitor through the Display port into vga to see if it will help
3. Run Ubuntu from the flash drive to see if the monitor will show all that
4. Put in 1060 and check with it with the same software to see if it is software or the card
5. Check Nvidia Surround

For me, as a person who tries to get inside the case as less as possible, it would be a pain, but I hope it will at least help to narrow down the problem.

I am still gathering all the possible things to try, and I will give the update as soon as I will find something later tonight.

Soldato
Thank you, I have no idea what is nvidia surround, so I will check it at home. It is in the nvidia control panel, right?
I do have the Integrated card, and it is on, but it only has HDMI port, so I can't connect DVI monitor there.

I managed to find 1060 for a test for this evening and also the display port to vga cable, so I will have quite a few options for tonight to test it out:

1. Re-insert the current card to see if it will help
2. Plug the monitor through the Display port into vga to see if it will help
3. Run Ubuntu from the flash drive to see if the monitor will show all that
4. Put in 1060 and check with it with the same software to see if it is software or the card
5. Check Nvidia Surround

For me, as a person who tries to get inside the case as less as possible, it would be a pain, but I hope it will at least help to narrow down the problem.

I am still gathering all the possible things to try, and I will give the update as soon as I will find something later tonight.

Control panel yes and get an adapter, couple quid is nothing really and test that...

There is also another thing to take in to consideration and that is the resolution because if they are not identical monitors then you will need to make sure the working one matches the max the other one will run as I’ve had this issue many times even trying a 3 monitor setup which eventually worked, it may not show ‘no signal’, but doesn’t mean the resolution isn’t supported.

Associate
OP
Control panel yes and get an adapter, couple quid is nothing really and test that...

There is also another thing to take in to consideration and that is the resolution because if they are not identical monitors then you will need to make sure the working one matches the max the other one will run as I’ve had this issue many times even trying a 3 monitor setup which eventually worked, it may not show ‘no signal’, but doesn’t mean the resolution isn’t supported.
I actually thought about that, my main, HDMI monitor, is FullHD, 16:9, while the DVI one is a bit stranger resolution with 16:10 aspect ration (don't remember the resolution). So I thought it might be the cause. Any idea on how to solve the issue if that is the problem?

Soldato
I actually thought about that, my main, HDMI monitor, is FullHD, 16:9, while the DVI one is a bit stranger resolution with 16:10 aspect ration (don't remember the resolution). So I thought it might be the cause. Any idea on how to solve the issue if that is the problem?

You could either look up the model of the 2nd monitor and use main one to match it or you use the main one to play around with the settings till the 2nd one appears, if you use onboard graphics it probably won’t be much of an effort to do, but those are pretty much your only options for that, It can be a pain to setup more screens that’s for sure.

Associate
OP
You could either look up the model of the 2nd monitor and use main one to match it or you use the main one to play around with the settings till the 2nd one appears, if you use onboard graphics it probably won’t be much of an effort to do, but those are pretty much your only options for that, It can be a pain to setup more screens that’s for sure.
Yeah, the problem with onboard one is that it only has HDMI, which doesn;t solve the issue with DVI monitor :(

Soldato
Yeah, the problem with onboard one is that it only has HDMI, which doesn;t solve the issue with DVI monitor :(

That’s where I made the suggestion of an adapter, the only other suggestion I could make is use your tv which I’d imagine has hdmi and test on that, if you can change the tv res on the computer to match that of whatever the 2nd monitor is then you can see the overall outcome.

Associate
OP
That’s where I made the suggestion of an adapter, the only other suggestion I could make is use your tv which I’d imagine has hdmi and test on that, if you can change the tv res on the computer to match that of whatever the 2nd monitor is then you can see the overall outcome.
I don't have a TV :D
Well ,I will try all the options I have now to see if it will change something, and will try to narrow the issue down, because right now there are too many possibilities that my brain can't handle :D

Associate
OP
I realised one weird thing now, not sure if it has something to do with the issue, but still. (I am still at work, so I have loads of time to thing it over and over again until I will be home finally). When everything was working, when I was turning my PC on, my DVI monitor was showing the BIOS screen and windows loading screen, and then it was going black and the login screen was appearing on the HDMI screen. After logging in both screens were going up. But I find it weird now that bios and login screens were on different monitors for me... Maybe that is some kind of settings that are causing the problem now?

Associate
OP
Ok guys, I have some new info, which I still do not understand.

I've purchased HDMI to DVI adapter. So I connected the dvi monitor to the HDMI with that and another monitor as usual with HDMI.

When I turned the PC on, both monitors stayed black. Both of them. I disconnected the normal HDMI one from the PC and plugged it in again, while the PC was running. It went up to the windows login screen. When I logged in - second monitor went up too like usual. So they both definitely work if they both go through HDMI ports. But at first they both were black, so now I am really confused on what to think here. I tried plugging it while the pc was running with DVI - as before, it stayed black. So for me it seems like some weird priority thing on the system or something like that.. I am even more confused now...

Associate
OP
wQok6XH
So I decided to try loading Ubuntu as was suggested, but when I choose it to try without installing, here is what I get. https://imgur.com/gallery/wQok6XH

Associate
OP
So... I tried loading Ubuntu from the same usb but with hdmi cable in instead of dvi... and it worked. So I can’t even try Ubuntu with dvi monitor only.

Seems like the worst option is actually the correct one, and dvi port on gpu is waving me goodbye :(

Back
Top Bottom