Fury - Wilder thread

Soldato
People want to see knockouts. If it's just about scores, they might as well wear sparring headgear. Fury got decked twice and looked to be almost knocked the **** out by the 12th, and Wilder was never close to being knocked down, let alone knocked out. If Fury is so skilled, at what point did he knock the stuffing out of Wilder?

It's one thing to say a boxing match is won or lost on points if neither boxer went to the canvas, and that's fair enough. But when one of the fighters is decked twice, quite severely the second time, it makes Fury look the weaker fighter and looks to me like Wilder is the one that will do the same again on a rematch and probably win. Who cares if he 'schooled' Wilder, he was the one that went down.
knocking a fighter down/out does not necessarily show skill though, any "fighter" has a punchers chance.

Did you ever see the Mcgregor Aldo fight for example ?
Aldo got knocked out within 30 seconds, does that make Mcgregor a better fighter ?
Not really, it means he got lucky.

Soldato
Really it boils down to whether your interest lies in boxing and the associated skillset or just watching a couple of meatheads lump each other hoping one gets concussed.

Permabanned
Your always going to have some that just like to see a tear up or those that also appreciate someone who displays a high level of skill. Wilder is a very crude but ultimately exciting fighter and Fury is a highly skilled yet relatively boring fighter.

It still staggers me when I see comments labelling Mayweather as a dancing/running, boring, cherry picker rather than what he is, the most skilled fighter of his generation and second to only Roy Jones Jr as the best fighter I have seen in my lifetime.

Watch this and you’ll see just why Mayweather was streets ahead of anyone he ever fought.

Soldato
Your always going to have some that just like to see a tear up or those that also appreciate someone who displays a high level of skill. Wilder is a very crude but ultimately exciting fighter and Fury is a highly skilled yet relatively boring fighter.

It still staggers me when I see comments labelling Mayweather as a dancing/running, boring, cherry picker rather than what he is, the most skilled fighter of his generation and second to only Roy Jones Jr as the best fighter I have seen in my lifetime.

Watch this and you’ll see just why Mayweather was streets ahead of anyone he ever fought.
Mayweather is very much the Spain of boxing. You can't deny that the Spain squad from 2008 - 2012 was one of the best international sides in recent memory. You also can't deny that they were incredibly boring to watch at times. Just because someone is great at what they do doesn't mean they're exciting to watch. As for these big fights I very much doubt half the people watching even know how boxing is scored, let alone care about the subtle things that make people like Mayweather the greatest defensive boxer ever.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd urge everyone that is on the fence about Fury to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast where he talks about his addiction, weight gain and motivation. It was recorded on the run up to the Wilder fight, so there's some good insight in to his training regime which will surprise a lot of people too.

Before I heard that I thought he was an arrogant arse who deserved to be sparked out but he came across very articulate and I fully understood his reasons for doing what he did/does. It's probably the most honest interview I've heard from a top sports person that isn't ego-driven... in fact, it's incredibly humbling and he certainly has a lot of humility.

tl:dr... he achieved what he wanted (by beating Vladimir) so then lost the desire to fight, gained weight, got hooked on coke and spent his money.

Permabanned
Mayweather is very much the Spain of boxing. You can't deny that the Spain squad from 2008 - 2012 was one of the best international sides in recent memory. You also can't deny that they were incredibly boring to watch at times. Just because someone is great at what they do doesn't mean they're exciting to watch. As for these big fights I very much doubt half the people watching even know how boxing is scored, let alone care about the subtle things that make people like Mayweather the greatest defensive boxer ever.
I get that it’s down to personal preference I like a bit of both and can appreciate both at different times. Prince Nassem was my favourite fighter growing up as a kid the bloke was just electric to watch a kind of smaller Wilder with a freakishly hard punch, except Nassem could actually box too.

It’s actually quite interesting when you think about it. You have Fury who is sort of like a poor mans Mayweather with great skills but quite boring to watch, then you have Wilder who is really quite an average boxer yet can bang harder than anyone you have ever seen, then you have Joshua who doesn’t box as well as Fury but is quite solid and can’t punch quite as hard as Wilder as in one punch power, but s not that far off. You could say Joshua is an all around better fighter than the other 2?

Soldato
The thing with AJ is he may not hit quite as hard as Wilder, but when he does connect with a big one, he's a good enough boxer to turn it into a devastating combo.

Soldato
I don't like Fury and I previously thought that his win vs an aged Klitschko was slightly over hyped however Having listened to the fight on the radio and watched the highlights I have to admit he did perform really well. I still don't like him but respect is due for what he achieved. I offer that respect on a number of levels
1. He dealt with his mental health issues and has the potential to be a positive role model
2. He went to the US and fought the best
3. He should a degree of humility at the questionable result
4. He got up off the floor when most mortals would have stayed prone.
5. He actually boxed at a very high level despite the period of relative inactivity.

I think AJ would beat him but it might be closer than we would have expected. What will be interesting is how the politics and money now works out for the big three. Fury might be well advised to let Wilder fight AJ first but that looks unlikely as Hearn can probably just about hoodwink the public into another stadium gig vs Dillian White before he has to take on either Wilder or Fury. If they are sensible then they could eek out 2/3 years of fights and rematches between them.

Soldato
I haven't watched the fight fully, but I have watched a highlights reel twice. Struggling to see how it was a draw and how Fury thinks he won the fight.

As far as I can see Wilder was the aggressor landing most of the big shots. Fury is defensive boxing.

On top of that Wilder has him on the canvas twice.

I really didn't like what I saw from Fury. He doesn't look fit at all.

Also you can see that those punches of Wilder's are BOOM makers.

I didn't see any of that from Fury.

Is this man just riding on the fact he is the biggest in the division? Another Valuev basically.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't watched the fight fully, but I have watched a highlights reel twice. Struggling to see how it was a draw and how Fury thinks he won the fight.

As far as I can see Wilder was the aggressor landing most of the big shots. Fury is defensive boxing.

On top of that Wilder has him on the canvas twice.

I really didn't like what I saw from Fury. He doesn't look fit at all.

Also you can see that those punches of Wilder's are BOOM makers.

I didn't see any of that from Fury.

Is this man just riding on the fact he is the biggest in the division? Another Valuev basically.

because Fury was the far better boxer

Back
Top Bottom