Silverstone SFX - Decent PSU / decent deal?

Associate
Afternoon

I'm on with spec'ing a mini ITX build and the case I've bought needs an SFX PSU. Haven't been able to find loads in the way of value for money but have come across this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £90.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

So, is it a good PSU? Seems like a competitive price (and I can get it slightly cheaper with some shopping around).

Cheers

Associate
Did you get anywhere with your SFX shopping - I've just been building a few spare parts into a small ITX case and have used an old Superflower ATX which just fits but isn't sounding great fan wise. An SFX or very short ATX recommendation at the cheap end of the scale would be ace.

Soldato
I used the PSU in my it’s build for nearly 2 years no bother before I stopped using the build( still in case lol) Early models v1.0 / v1.1 like mine had an annoying click with the zero RPM mode on occasions. Look like his v2 has done away entirely with zero RPM mode and fan spins all the time a bit low speeds.

Aside from that it’s a capable unit that should do the job fine.

Associate
OP
Did you get anywhere with your SFX shopping - I've just been building a few spare parts into a small ITX case and have used an old Superflower ATX which just fits but isn't sounding great fan wise. An SFX or very short ATX recommendation at the cheap end of the scale would be ace.

Not really, I'm leaning towards the Silverstone above simply on price BUT...

SVGA have got an SFX range arriving in the UK in the new year I think. The EVGA GM 550 which looks comparable in price and has a stack of great reviews. I'm going to wait until January sales now (MacBook Pro will do fine in the meantime), so might hang on a little longer for this.

Soldato
I don't know what's going on with Silverstone right now, but all their newer SFX units are only coming with 3 year warranties and capacitors only rated for 85 degrees. This isn't filling me with confidence that they're maintaining their traditionally high standards.

Ended up grabbing a Corsair SF600 Platinum for £110 and I'm unlikely to move back to Silverstone now.

Soldato
I have an SX600-G and it can't handle my Vega 64 unless I run it in power save mode. I'm waiting for the Corsair SF750 and then i'm moving over.

Pity as Silverstone seem to be a company that genuinely does care about SFF but they don't seem to be that bothered about breaking new ground in the market at the moment, it's Corsair doing all the running when it comes to SFX PSUs.

Back
Top Bottom