Nikon 500mm Prime F5.6 PF £3.6k - where's the love?

Soldato
Surprised not to see someone post about this lens on here.

Tiny, lightweight 500mm Prime and a fraction of the price. Shame my camera body is canon!

The stats:
Focal length: 500mm
Mount: Nikon F
Filter size: 95mm
Max aperture: f/5.6
Minimum focus distance: 3.0m
Dimensions: 106 x 237mm
Weight: 1460g
Anyone ordered/got it?

Caporegime
I'll be swapping my 300mm PF for this lens definitely, probably the most interesting lens released in the last 10+ years.

I wont do it unitl next summer at least though

Soldato
OP
I'll be swapping my 300mm PF for this lens definitely, probably the most interesting lens released in the last 10+ years.

I wont do it unitl next summer at least though

Long wait though. Someone I know who pre-ordered back in August only just getting it.

Really hope canon pull their finger out.

Soldato
OP
Or you could get a used Mk1 500mm F4 for the same price, probably less.

Is there not a difference in image quality/focus speed due to age and technology? I had considered that but the lens is quite a few years old now.

This is also ignoring the size and weight differences as well.

And

And

Associate
Well the MkII is slightly better optically and lighter, but ignoring the weight hasn't there been an improvement in sensors to give better images? As far as focus speed it's pretty quick - I use one and have no complaints. Granted it's a 20 year old (IIRC) design but a very capable, sharp lens and a stop more light. FWIW I'd like to see Canon release a similar lens (to the Nikon f5.6) but I think their next DO superteles are going to be RF mount, though to be honest I've been thinking about switching away from Canon.

Last edited:
Associate
i'm tempted to get one , my 200-400 f4 is getting a bit heavy for me now i'm getting older i find it more of a struggle to cart around , its about £3600 in uk or £3100 grey import so it will set be back about £1800 minimum which is the hardest part. love the 300mm pf though amazing lens especially on a new body like a d500 d5 or d750

Associate
I just really don't make much use of lenses slower than f/4.

For birds I often stop down to F7 to get wings in focus.

Im using a 300f4 with teleconvertor at the moment, so f5.6 wont put me off.
This new 500 5.6 is a pretty much perfect replacement.

Just need to save another 2k into the lens fund :D

I like to walk with my camera so a 500 f4 would be too heavy for my use.

Soldato
OP
I've know someone who has sent 2 back now after issues. Probably worth waiting a few months to let them iron these problems out.

Caporegime
For birds I often stop down to F7 to get wings in focus.

Im using a 300f4 with teleconvertor at the moment, so f5.6 wont put me off.
This new 500 5.6 is a pretty much perfect replacement.

Just need to save another 2k into the lens fund :D

I like to walk with my camera so a 500 f4 would be too heavy for my use.

Indeed, on my Sigma 150-600mm sports I am usually at about f/7 to f/8 to get sufficient DoF.

Also, for BiF, being able to hand hold is more important than 1 extra stop.

Caporegime
The loss of image quality when you subject is not in focus as f/4 is far more of a problem than some noise, especially for BIF when the noise in the background is easily cleaned up and on the subject is not really visible.

The Other aspect is being there with a camera and lens ready to go. The 500mm f/5.6 PF is so crazy light you can take it hiking and backpacking deep in the wilderness, or short trips to the aprk with the family etc. and take a handheld shot as and when needed. You wont be taking a 600mm f/4.0 + Gitzo 5 series tripod + gimbal + sidekick and will miss the opportunities.
500mm PF on a D500 is a BIF and general wildlfe dream combo.

Caporegime
The loss of image quality when you subject is not in focus as f/4 is far more of a problem than some noise, especially for BIF when the noise in the background is easily cleaned up and on the subject is not really visible.

The Other aspect is being there with a camera and lens ready to go. The 500mm f/5.6 PF is so crazy light you can take it hiking and backpacking deep in the wilderness, or short trips to the aprk with the family etc. and take a handheld shot as and when needed. You wont be taking a 600mm f/4.0 + Gitzo 5 series tripod + gimbal + sidekick and will miss the opportunities.
500mm PF on a D500 is a BIF and general wildlfe dream combo.

Although I agree that focus is more important, high ISO's don't just produce noise, dynamic range is reduced and chromatic artefacts start to occur.

Associate
Although I agree that focus is more important, high ISO's don't just produce noise, dynamic range is reduced and chromatic artefacts start to occur.

I dont care about the noise unless Ive also messed up the exposure but the drop in colour rendition and accuracy are the big disadvantages of high ISO.

I usually shoot 1/1000 at F7.1 for most birds, ill stop down to 5.6 (wide open) only if ISO 6400 wont give enough exposure.
I vary shutter speeds a lot to try and control ISO but birds need 1/500 minimum as feathers move fast in the wind :)

This is a recent shot at ISO 3200, I was pretty pleased with it given that the light was poor (Midday in cloudy Manchester)
Full size version is on Flickr

Manchester Jay 2018 (4 of 5) by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

EDIT - Posted the wrong link initially.

Lightroom has messed up my EXIF. This is ISO3600 at 420mm F5.6 1/1000 with D500 and 300F4x1.4TC

Back
Top Bottom