• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheap 4k at 60hz card ?

Soldato
Hello,

Just got a 28" 4k monitor for my Xbox and windows 10 computer.

I've only got onboard intell 4600 HD graphics chip with HDMI port. On a MSI H87M-E33 mother board, 2013 I brought it.

It appears this is not good enough for 4k at 60hz, only 4k at 30hz.

I've tried a HDMI 2.0 cable and it's still the same.

Can anyone recommend a cheap graphics card for 4k at 60hz. Purely for Windows 10 use no gaming what so ever. £40 max spend really.

Thanks Ben

Soldato
OP
I've been reading the GT 730 only has a 1.4 HDMI port so wont achieve 4k at 60hz.

I need a card with a HDMI 2.0 port.

Cheapest card with a HDMI 2.0 port ??

Thanks Ben

Soldato
Huh? How can a HDMI 1.4 port provide 4K 60hz? Link?
IIRC Nvidia do 4K60 over HDMI 1.4 by using a lower chroma setting than 4:4:4, thus lowering the bandwidth required by 4K60 to within 1.4 limits.

*EDIT*

Yup I remembered right:

Normally, in order to run a 4K signal over HDMI at 60 Hz, you’d need an HDMI 2.0 connection. 'Normally,' isn’t really the right word though, as you cannot yet buy any graphics cards with an HDMI 2.0 output. However, it seems that the GeForce 340.43 Beta driver release had made it possible to push 4K at 60 Hz out of Kepler based cards, despite not having the HDMI 2.0 interface (the Kepler cards are HDMI 1.4).

So, what’s the trick? The answer to that is chroma subsampling. Rather than using the standard YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB sampling, Nvidia set the system to use a 4:2:0 sample. As such, the image retains the same brightness information, but the colour information is reduced by merging the information of four pixels. Four times less colour information means the signal is a lot smaller. As a result, Nvidia has managed to squeeze an entire 4K 60Hz signal over the 8.2 Gb/s bandwidth available to HDMI 1.4 interfaces.

According to this page it will do 4k 60hz on the HDMI port.

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications

would therefore suggest its a HDMI 2 port.
It's not as mentioned above.

Soldato
what are you doing that you need 4k @ 60hz?

only ask because i have that palit gt 730 linked above that is boxed and have use of a 4k tv, i could probably test it if i know what to use with it .

edit: in fact the computer i have spare to test this has an MSI gtx 750 1gb installed, it cost me £35 in a private sale, now unless you have case restrictions and wand something new then something like that might do?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
IIRC Nvidia do 4K60 over HDMI 1.4 by using a lower chroma setting than 4:4:4, thus lowering the bandwidth required by 4K60 to within 1.4 limits.

*EDIT*

Yup I remembered right:

It's not as mentioned above.
Thanks for the explanation ubersonic. I had a feeling this could be it. But would that not result in lower image quality somewhat defeating the point of 4K?

All depends on what the needs of OP is I suppose.

Would a displayport to hdmi 2 cable work I wonder without needing to compress?

Soldato
Wrong question. What are you doing that does not require 60Hz? 30Hz looks like poop.

If you're saying why 4k, which is a different question, then he says in the OP: XBox and Windows.

but i wasnt asking 'why 4k' as i dont care why they want to lol, mean the OP could just be on about general resolution for better fitment of the desktop or they could be doing something else? the xbox side of things is irrelevant as it will support 4k anyways, gaming no, but in general yes.

the computer i mentioned to test is connected, being a bit odd, so having to installed nvidia drivers again, but this will be for the gt 730 as my gtx 750 not working for some reason and so far under normal display options having to use the 1280x7?? which still doesnt fit the screen properly, but better than 1920x1080 and the tv setting info states 1920x1080/60p. its not my tv, so i dont know if ive even used the correct hdmi cable plugged in the little box as i dont remember, but untill the driver is installed i cant do anything else either way.

Soldato
right done my install and test, is this what you were looking for in terms of the resolution or you after more in-depth?

to be fair while the native resolution was automatically set, switching to the slightly higher res showed next to no difference in my eyes.

nTKjM4r.jpg
PNCvt0f.jpg

i do realize i made an error saying i have the 730 when infact i have the 710 version ha :rolleyes:, so as you can see even that is capable, so getting the GT730 is a good shout if you want new.

Back
Top Bottom