Fury - Wilder thread

Soldato
I'd urge everyone that is on the fence about Fury to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast where he talks about his addiction, weight gain and motivation. It was recorded on the run up to the Wilder fight, so there's some good insight in to his training regime which will surprise a lot of people too.

Before I heard that I thought he was an arrogant arse who deserved to be sparked out but he came across very articulate and I fully understood his reasons for doing what he did/does. It's probably the most honest interview I've heard from a top sports person that isn't ego-driven... in fact, it's incredibly humbling and he certainly has a lot of humility.

tl:dr... he achieved what he wanted (by beating Vladimir) so then lost the desire to fight, gained weight, got hooked on coke and spent his money.

That is one of the best videos/interviews I've seen in a long time

Soldato
I haven't watched the fight fully, but I have watched a highlights reel twice. Struggling to see how it was a draw and how Fury thinks he won the fight.

As far as I can see Wilder was the aggressor landing most of the big shots. Fury is defensive boxing.

On top of that Wilder has him on the canvas twice.

I really didn't like what I saw from Fury. He doesn't look fit at all.

Also you can see that those punches of Wilder's are BOOM makers.

I didn't see any of that from Fury.

Is this man just riding on the fact he is the biggest in the division? Another Valuev basically.

You have watched an edited version of the fight then ?
a version that can be edited to look however the editor intends it to look.

as others have said go and watch the full fight.

Permabanned
Can't believe some people are still claiming Fury is the victor and making him out to be the heavyweight incarnation of Mayweather. Lets look at the stats, Fury landed 84 punches in the fight compared to Wilder's 71... Wilder threw 430 punches compared to Fury's 327... Are you seriously telling me that someone who landed, on average 1 punch more than his opponent per round, who was significantly less active than his opponent, and got dumped on his arse twice, has done enough to rip the belt away from the champion? I think too many people were watching the fight through the mouths of the commentators.

Caporegime
Wilder put out a nice tweet about the fight. Fury didn't do anywhere near enough to take the belt away from the champ and he got put on his arse twice. Would have been a debacle if he had come away with the belt

Wow, I didn't know the utterly clueless Mexican judge was a member of the forums.

Soldato
Can't believe some people are still claiming Fury is the victor and making him out to be the heavyweight incarnation of Mayweather. Lets look at the stats, Fury landed 84 punches in the fight compared to Wilder's 71... Wilder threw 430 punches compared to Fury's 327... Are you seriously telling me that someone who landed, on average 1 punch more than his opponent per round, who was significantly less active than his opponent, and got dumped on his arse twice, has done enough to rip the belt away from the champion? I think too many people were watching the fight through the mouths of the commentators.

Fury won most of the exchanges. Fury made Wielder miss more shots. Fury probably won every round.

Wielder landed six or so big shots and dropped Fury twice.

Going by the rules that makes Fury the clear winner.

Soldato
so based on your stats and nothing else
Wilder landed 16% of punches thrown
Fury landed 26% of punches thrown

And can I just remind all in this thread, the sport is "boxing" not "fighting" ;)

Permabanned
so based on your stats and nothing else
Wilder landed 16% of punches thrown
Fury landed 26% of punches thrown

And can I just remind all in this thread, the sport is "boxing" not "fighting" ;)

Yes, so Wilder wins on workrate and aggression, wins on putting Fury down twice, yet Fury landed 13 more tippy tappy punches over the course of 12 rounds and is apparently the clear victor.

Permabanned
Just rewatched the fight. "Robbery" is too far IMO. It was a "gift" for Wilder (who, mind, wasn't the official winner either). Even if Wilder lost officially I'd say a rematch is warranted and personally welcome, as I love how their styles match up in ways that aren't very apparent, even if it's boring for most.

Edit: Also, Fury is a drug cheat and he gave nothing but lies about that and it got swept under the rug, so I don't have much sympathy for him.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think this is a fair comment. I didnt agree with the Fury Win and I watch a lot of boxing. I went to Cardiff and watched Aj Parker. Which frankly was one of the worst fights I've ever seen. That was the fault of the referee breaking it up too much.
That said I also know the rules and I don't always agree with them. I dunno why you do but I don't watch boxing to enjoy jab and run anymore than a referee slowing down the action.
I go to watch an exchange of punches that could ultimately end in a knockout. the bedrock, how you achieve that is how well the fight is recieved imo.
I.e if neither throw good punches it would be boring, if one doesn't throw punches and the other does it can be a one sided boringess but if both connect both dodge both knockdown, you have yourself a hell of a fight.
Fury for me the other night was good but he didn't really look like he wanted to drop Wilder, or couldnt. He wanted a points win, a round win and that style whilst I appreciate the skill involved, I don't enjoy watching it. Simple as that really.

If you think Fury was 'jabbing and running' then I don't know what fight you were watching pal. Fury threw more punches and had much better success ratios - I'd much rather watch someone that actually box than someone that is just standing there swinging looking for a right hand.
As said, boxing is not all about knockouts, educate yourself.

Soldato
Just rewatched the fight. "Robbery" is too far IMO. It was a "gift" for Wilder (who, mind, wasn't the official winner either). Even if Wilder lost officially I'd say a rematch is warranted and personally welcome, as I love how their styles match up in ways that aren't very apparent, even if it's boring for most.

Edit: Also, Fury is a drug cheat and he gave nothing but lies about that and it got swept under the rug, so I don't have much sympathy for him.

He was an idiot. Not sure about a drug cheat as in performance enhancing drugs.

Permabanned
Soldato
Yes, so Wilder wins on workrate and aggression, wins on putting Fury down twice, yet Fury landed 13 more tippy tappy punches over the course of 12 rounds and is apparently the clear victor.

By your logic if I were to throw 50 punches in the air and not land one, and the other person didn't throw any, I am the winner ?
because of work rate ?
mmmmm,kay

So here is one more statistic for you.
According to this site
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other...tes-among-worlds-top-seven-heavyweight-boxers

These are the average percentage of punches landed for the top heavyweights
TOTAL CONNECTION CONNECTION %
Wilder 42.8%
Miller 34.7%
Joshua 34.6%
Whyte 30.3%
Pulev 27.6%
Fury 25.5%
Parker 23.6%

See how Wilder is at the top with nearly 43% ?

I will leave you to come up with your next ridiculous argument now
And I probably won't reply because i refuse to be Rubber Duck'ed ;)

Permabanned
He failed for cocaine.

At the top of that article: "Fury charged after testing positive for a banned steroid in 2015". It was "nandrolone", which while naturally produced by the body (like many things), can also be taken as an anabolic steroid. His body had unnaturally high levels of it, he failed a drugs test and was suspended, and the lies and coverups lead me to believe that he took it as an anabolic steroid.

Permabanned
I was following it at the time. I don't have proof, but in some interviews they didn't stand firm on the wild boar excuse, and then they dropped it in favour of pushing the mental health angle, so I think the wild boar thing was a lie.

Permabanned
Had the fight happened in the UK under the same circumstances and actions, Fury would have took the belt . He's never going to be everyone's favourite but he's done what he has set out to do . He's no stylist and is completely unorthodox but he does have a good chin . If and when the AJ fight takes place the bookies are going to be scratching their heads over odds . Has AJ got Wilders power ? can Fury knock over guys at this level ?

Back
Top Bottom