• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Getting pretty excited now and also getting close to the official announcement. If these leaks are true, Intel must be seriously sweating. The R5 3600X basically mimics the i9-9900K for less than half the price (and that's without taking into account the inflated prices due to Intel's 14nm shortage) and it's only a mid-range chip in the line-up! I'd probably go for the Ryzen 7 3700(X), that'd last a good 5+ years. My current setup has lasted 9+ but that's with market stagnation due to lack of competition, so as long as neither company re-releases Bulldozer I doubt any current CPU will last that long. :p

Having to wait a year for Navi-based APUs is a downer but at least for most of us on this forum that isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, finger's crossed that not only is this true, that it's announced at CES with stock asap. :D

It'll be a hard wait from Jan 9th to say the middle of the year otherwise.

Need me a 3700x (even though I can't think how I'm going to use that much power)

Soldato
Is it? Like really is it?? I've seen it in person, at "ultra" and I thought it was very meh. Not that great at all.

I don't see it as the next big thing at all. I see it as simply another graphics setting like PP or AA. In fact AA is far more important and visually impactful than raytracing.

Yes. Yes it is. Just because Nvidia's 1st generation implementation is underpowered, incomplete and stupidly expensive, doesn't change the fact that the first step has been taken towards the graphics Holy Grail: real time ray tracing.

And no, we're not talking about lighting effects in silly little games, the scope and the ramifications are much, much broader.

Soldato
There certainly seems potential for them to do what they did with the original Ryzen line up, and just launch a few high end parts earlier in the year, thus making the most of the Intel shortage. Targeting the market that are happy to pay £500+ for a CPU, and putting a spanner in the works of the 9900K, and the rumoured 10c part which is likely a feeble response to AMD's offerings, and there'll be a total of 7 of them to buy across the entire globe, but that is one for each continent. :p

Associate
I don't see those clocks for Zen 2 being correct, in Jim's video. I mean, you go from 8 cores 4ghz 95W chip to 16 core 4.3ghz 135W chip. 300mhz more with double the cores and only 40W more? That does not seem right, even with extremely lucky binning. Unless they only gonna release 50 of them, still can't see that. AMD would make much more money by selling 8c 4.3ghz chip at 95W for 250 bucks, than 16 core special edition for 500 bucks. I don't know it just doesn't make sense to me.

I thought Reddit leak looked like a good April's fool joke not even looking at Threadripper's clocks, but Jim's leak is even more far fetched.
But hey, I'll happily open my wallet for that 500bucks Black Edition and x570 motherboard if these are correct.

Associate
cause 7nm production going better than they expected so pushed date forward. If they can get away with January this will be great for them very bad for intel

If true, then it will be CES announcement with March April availability, and May for BE. No chance for January release.

There certainly seems potential for them to do what they did with the original Ryzen line up, and just launch a few high end parts earlier in the year, thus making the most of the Intel shortage. Targeting the market that are happy to pay £500+ for a CPU, and putting a spanner in the works of the 9900K, and the rumoured 10c part which is likely a feeble response to AMD's offerings, and there'll be a total of 7 of them to buy across the entire globe, but that is one for each continent. :p

Leak says $500 part is May ;) AMD will not put any spanners in the works due to people like our own LambChops, who is buying Intel regardless of what AMD is offering, and is fake happy for AMD because competitive AMD drives prices for his Intel down, that he can spend less money, which is fine in its own right, but what happened to rewarding a company who are making superior product for the given price?

Soldato
Id be tempted by the 3850x but what would worry me is the memory latency and only dual channel ram for that amount of threads.... the 3700X looks like the smart buy for me personally, would need a new motherboard anyhow so would pickup an X570, which leaves the door open for a bigger chip later if need be.

Coupled with the rumored top end Navi GPU, my kids would be getting my 1700, CH6 and Vega 64, id get a bigger CPU bump and a small GPU bump, overall well happy if any of these rumors are true.

Soldato
Leak says $500 part is May ;)

I didn't say anything about the part pricing, I said targeting a market that are happy to pay £500+ they could release the 3800X at £450, 3800 at £379 then a 3900X or whatever later in the year.

I don't see those clocks for Zen 2 being correct, in Jim's video. I mean, you go from 8 cores 4ghz 95W chip to 16 core 4.3ghz 135W chip. 300mhz more with double the cores and only 40W more?

None of this speculation takes into account the number of boosted cores, you only need to look at Intel's total disaster of labelling the 9900K at 95w TDP but the don't bother to tell you how many cores, or for how long unless you dig into the depths of their speed boost paper work. For all we know there is potential for a 3600X 8c/16t part to stay at 4.8GHz across all of it's cores within the 95w, and the 16-core might be just 4 of the 16 cores at 5.1GHz. 7nm as already stated in the Rome release allows 50% of the power at the same clock speeds, so it would make sense that a 105w 2700X could become a 55-60w 7nm part, ramp up the boost speed and apply it to all cores or 4-6 even and you have a 95w part again. ;)

Associate
2019 when amd killed off Intels cpu´s
Looks like its upgrade time again.
Ryzen 1600 to 2600X atm and soon 3700X
All on same mboard.
Got to love that.
will upgrade mboard to new chipset once all boards been matured with bioses.

Associate
Yes. Yes it is. Just because Nvidia's 1st generation implementation is underpowered, incomplete and stupidly expensive, doesn't change the fact that the first step has been taken towards the graphics Holy Grail: real time ray tracing.

And no, we're not talking about lighting effects in silly little games, the scope and the ramifications are much, much broader.

The scope and ramifications were much broader years and years ago, when Intel I think was talking about Ray Tracing games. Today nothing changed, just because nVidia has 3 cards which can add 2 rays of realistic light at 30fps to the whole scene. If they cannot ray trace a relatively simple add on RT, do you think they will be able to real time ray trace the whole game in just couple of years? The hardware is simply still not here. I would understand if hardware was there but devs didn't know how to code for ray tracing.
Yes, RT is game changing, but no, we will not get real time fully ray traced games in next couple of years, no chance

Coupled with the rumored top end Navi GPU, my kids would be getting my 1700, CH6 and Vega 64, id get a bigger CPU bump and a small GPU bump, overall well happy if any of these rumors are true.
Yes, wouldn't mind a little $250 1080ti matching sidegrade from "hot" and power hungry Vega 64 :D

Soldato
1scd64bioy121.jpg

Ill put some coal in to the Hype Train :D
RIP Intel :eek:

Associate
RIP Intel :eek:

Since all memory IO is now through a central IO controller, we could see a situation where threadripper outperforms the mainstream platform in lightly threaded but memory intensive applications since it's quad versus dual channel. This could mean better gaming performance on threadripper due to both higher clocks and higher memory performance...

Soldato
The most likely issue will be that actual prices will be higher, its inevitable, even if the RRP is accurate prepare for retail gouging, retailers will still sell even at 100usd over RRP because it will still be cheaper than intel.

Caporegime
There is another thing, Integrated Navi GPU's with upto 20 CU's, (1280 Shaders) on some of the 6 core 12 Thread Ryzen 3000 CPU's, if and when they get DDR5 they will have the bandwidth, those 20 CU Navi iGPU's should be about as good as the GTX 1060 / RX 570.

Associate
The most likely issue will be that actual prices will be higher, its inevitable, even if the RRP is accurate prepare for retail gouging, retailers will still sell even at 100usd over RRP because it will still be cheaper than intel.

Yeah, like it happened with Ryzen before, yeah, or like it is happening right now, isn't it? :D

Back
Top Bottom