• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Pledges to Take On NVIDIA’s High-End Turing With 7nm Radeon GPUs in 2019

Soldato

^^ Skip to 20:50..

These are the rumoured cards to announce at CES. I'm all over that RX 3080 (Vega 64 +15%) card, fits just where I want performance and price wise.

Could be the reason we've seen AMD shifting Vega 56 & 64 cards at slashed pricing over the past few weeks?

Last edited:
Soldato
So it never was an actual new baseline price then...
where did i say it was? I didnt realise i was saying anything especially confrontational here..... at around time of posting there was an RTX 2080 for order for £580 and i was just commenting that IF AMD were to release a card in 2019 that was as fast as a 1080ti, for me to be interested in it, it would have to either offer supported hardware raytracing OR if not then be less than £500.....

if you are happy to pay £500 for a non RT equivalent to a 1080ti in 6 months or so then more power to you, hopefully AMD will deliver for you. My view however is if you (ie AMD not you personally) are going to take almost 3 years to release an equivalent product to the competition (1080ti) then unless you come in at a significantly lower price OR offer extra features (such as RT) then why would people choose you (AMD) over the competition?

Soldato

These are the rumoured cards to announce at CES. I'm all over that RX 3080 (Vega 64 +15%) card, fits just where I want performance and price wise.

Could be the reason we've seen AMD shifting Vega 56 & 64 cards at slashed pricing over the past few weeks?

Hmmm NAVI 10 with GDDR6, look like AMD finally ditched very expensive useless HBM2 and HBCC.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
IMO AMD will never succeed in the GPU space again. Despite what they offer. The fanboi'ismness is just too ingrained in the kids now. NVIDIA = Good, AMD = BAD.
The only reason 95% of people want an AMD comeback is for cheaper Nvidia products. Which just doesnt work.

There is certain truth to this, but a huge exaggeration by yourself.

If and when AMD start competing in the high end again and start competitively pricing their gpu’s like they used to, I would be back to an AMD gpu in a heartbeat. Look at how many people purchased Vega’s once they were priced competitively. Consider Nvidia have also annoyed a lot of people with the silly prices by milking us as much as possible. A lot of people would be happy to go back to AMD.

In a discreet gpu market where intel does not exist, AMD can easily get 40% of the market imo. One good thing is their drivers have come a long way over the years. Gone are the days where people say AMD drivers are crap, anyone saying that is either a uninformed nvidia fanboy or just a uninformed mindless parrot. Lol :p

Associate
look like AMD finally ditched very expensive useless HBM2 and HBCC.

Pretty obvious at this stage that HBM/HBM2 in the Fury and Vega line was just AMD getting their feet wet with the technology so they could implement it with confidence where it actually matters - in their Instinct series. That became very clear during their next horizon event last month.

Soldato
Pretty obvious at this stage that HBM/HBM2 in the Fury and Vega line was just AMD getting their feet wet with the technology so they could implement it with confidence where it actually matters - in their Instinct series. That became very clear during their next horizon event last month.

Never a truer word was spoken. It's as if people didn't know or forgot that AMD have been operating on zero money for a very, very long time. They're still forging ahead with progressive technologies, but it does commit them to actually deploying it to recoup R&D costs.

Soldato

Vega sell on prices are going to drop like a sack of spuds, if the RX 3080 is going to be priced at $249.99 :eek:

Associate

If those numbers are right and the 3080 really is going to retail at £250 (becuase £=$) it's too tempting not to get that level performance even though I don't need it.

If that's all correct a 3080 at £250 will match the 2070, the 3070 will beat the 2060 and the 3060 beats the 2050 at £200 from benchmarks and projected bench marks that I've read. I expect the prices to exceed SRP though if those SRPs and benchmarks are anywhere near a reality.

Will Nvidia lose market share, cut prices and be forced to rush through 7nm?

OcUK Staff
Use common sense guys, RX590 is £250, there not going to release a card with vastly more performance for same money.

Deja vu, when everyone was saying 1180/2080 was gonna be £400-£500, people need a wake up and smell the coffee. Will be a $500 product with maybe a $400 launch window pricing to gain early sales and win reviews.

Associate
Use common sense guys, RX590 is £250, there not going to release a card with vastly more performance for same money.

Deja vu, when everyone was saying 1180/2080 was gonna be £400-£500, people need a wake up and smell the coffee. Will be a $500 product with maybe a $400 launch window pricing to gain early sales and win reviews.

Gibbo, that is flawed point of view. nVidia priced their card so high because their chip dies are humongous, and not because it offers more performance. Those 3 dies per wafer are not cheap.
Whatever happened to next gen high end replacing current gen high end price wise? I only remember past few years with huge mark ups and AMD playing with expensive HBM, before that it used to be similar high end price. That's called progress. Or are we expecting for prices just to add up with every new release now? So nvidias 7nm high end will be £2k at release by this logic.
What did AMD do with original Zen? They said they gonna bring Intel's ultra high end performance to the masses, and they did do that.

OcUK Staff
Gibbo, that is flawed point of view. nVidia priced their card so high because their chip dies are humongous, and not because it offers more performance. Those 3 dies per wafer are not cheap.
Whatever happened to next gen high end replacing current gen high end price wise? I only remember past few years with huge mark ups and AMD playing with expensive HBM, before that it used to be similar high end price. That's called progress. Or are we expecting for prices just to add up with every new release now? So nvidias 7nm high end will be £2k at release by this logic.
What did AMD do with original Zen? They said they gonna bring Intel's ultra high end performance to the masses, and they did do that.

It won't be happening on VGA, AMD cannot afford to your also forgetting a major factor, a big cost of graphics cards is the memory and a GPU cost a lot more money to make than a CPU, a lot more.

Associate

Do you think 500 series will be around or phased out by the time these cards come out?

Caporegime

If they were getting 3 dies per wafer they would have these priced much higher.

Soldato
AMD can build these cheaper.
Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus | Posted: 25 August 2017 said:
Vega - $150 on HBM2 and $25 on the interposer, putting us around $175 cost for the memory system. $100-$130 more than 8GB of GDDR5 cost to build. This is also ignoring other costs, like incalculable R&D or packaging costs.
Source: Gamers Nexus

Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus | Posted: 28 March 2018 said:
GDDR6 will be about 20% more expensive in manufacturer cost than GDDR5 at launch.
Source: Gamers Nexus

Back
Top Bottom