• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Pledges to Take On NVIDIA’s High-End Turing With 7nm Radeon GPUs in 2019

Soldato
Use common sense guys, RX590 is £250, there not going to release a card with vastly more performance for same money.

Well since Navi is supposedly replacing Polaris, there won't be a RX590 to price against, other than existing stock in the channel, at which point AMD have already had their money from it.

bru

bru

Soldato
Well since Navi is supposedly replacing Polaris, there won't be a RX590 to price against, other than existing stock in the channel, at which point AMD have already had their money from it.

If that was the case then why did they even bother with the 590 in the first place.
Yes we all know it is just a shrunk Polaris, but that still takes time and money you cannot just say to TSMC hey shrink this down for us please.

Soldato
If that was the case then why did they even bother with the 590 in the first place.
Yes we all know it is just a shrunk Polaris, but that still takes time and money you cannot just say to TSMC hey shrink this down for us please.

To clear out Polaris chips.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If it is true that AMD made a big loss on Vega, it is easy to imagine they would be more than happy to not get into a price war with Nvidia and just price their cards similarly and get much bigger margins like nvidia do.

Also going forward won’t gddr6 prices slowly be coming down? With many authorities keeping a close eye on their price fixing I can’t image the price will go up.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But if it is a shrunk Polaris chip, that would indicate it needs to be produced on the smaller process. Not like they can give TSMC the old ones they wish to clear out for them to magically convert to smaller process is it?

First your dodgy dollar to pound conversion yesterday, now this. You are on a role lately jigger :p;)

Soldato
If it is true that AMD made a big loss on Vega, it is easy to imagine they would be more than happy to not get into a price war with Nvidia and just price their cards similarly and get much bigger margins like nvidia do.

Also going forward won’t gddr6 prices slowly be coming down? With many authorities keeping a close eye on their price fixing I can’t image the price will go up.

That would depend on the yeild. If the yeild is really good and AMD have lots of production, that makes the high margin low volume strategy pointless.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That would depend on the yeild. If the yeild is really good and AMD have lots of production, that makes the high margin low volume strategy pointless.
Fair point, though I would not go as far as calling it pointless. With good yields they would certainly be better of pricing a bit more aggressively as they really could do with clawing back some market share from nvidia.

Was you not planning to reply to my other post? You also ignored the one yesterday with the dollar to pound conversion. Lol.

Permabanned
There is certain truth to this, but a huge exaggeration by yourself.

If and when AMD start competing in the high end again and start competitively pricing their gpu’s like they used to, I would be back to an AMD gpu in a heartbeat. Look at how many people purchased Vega’s once they were priced competitively. Consider Nvidia have also annoyed a lot of people with the silly prices by milking us as much as possible. A lot of people would be happy to go back to AMD.

In a discreet gpu market where intel does not exist, AMD can easily get 40% of the market imo. One good thing is their drivers have come a long way over the years. Gone are the days where people say AMD drivers are crap, anyone saying that is either a uninformed nvidia fanboy or just a uninformed mindless parrot. Lol :p

Agreed, there are also plenty of us that are not "Insertmanufacturerhere" fanboys, just tech fanboys and would have no qualms buying a competitive AMD product. :)

bru

bru

Soldato

So the whole point of shrinking down to 12nm and manufacturing a whole load of new chips for the 590 was to clear out already manufactured 14nm Polaris chips.

I think you haven't thought this answer through particularly well.;)

Soldato
So the whole point of shrinking down to 12nm and manufacturing a whole load of new chips for the 590 was to clear out already manufactured 14nm Polaris chips.

I think you haven't thought this answer through particularly well.;)

Soldato

GloFo, not TSMC. And yes, the 12nm process is literally just saying to GloFo "shrink this down for us please" because apparently that's how their 12nm works; they just use their 14nm kit to make things a touch smaller.

But bothering with the 590 at all is what I've been saying recently.

For a while now I've argued that Navi replaces Vega outright and Polaris is shifted down to the entry-level segment. To that end I was expecting a full RX 600 range powered by Polaris 30 for a nice 10-15% boost across the range. Hell, maybe even with GDDR6 too. So then when Polaris 30 lands as a single product in the RX 500 family, I was like what the hell? Literally nothing has changed on the RX 580, aside from the 12nm shrink, and even that took zero funds because GloFo just use their 14nm kit to do it. Forgive the crude analogy, but AMD took Polaris 20 and literally just printed it a bit smaller. Even the die package is the same apparently. But still, having a 1060 competitor in the RX 590 still establishes Navi's position as the 1080 level card in the mainstream.

But now those Navi leaks are out, all I can think is Polaris 30 is a token product to fulfill a 12nm wafer contract; Zen+ won't be made any more and Zen 2's I/O die is made on GloFo's 14nm, so what do AMD make on 12nm? Smash out a trivial and cheap Polaris for 6 months or so until Navi lands and replaces both Vega AND Polaris.

In terms of performance, the 3070 directly replaces Vega 56, the 3080 directly replaces Vega 64, but the 3060 directly replaces the RX590 and RX580 and covers the entry level market too. And if these price points are to be believed, if you can get a 3060 for that low price without even needing a beefy PSU, there is no point in even getting a RX 570 or lower.

As an aside, this wis why Gibbo's statement that Navi will cost a lot more doesn't fly. AMD will have literally killed Polaris with Navi 12 so there's no need to even make them any more. And with Polaris finally dead, AMD won't have their own price brackets to wrangle, they can just start with a clean slate.

Back
Top Bottom