What do you think of this build?

Associate
I've been out of the loop for a long time, so unless I'm in the market for PC components and I've been doing some reading, I really don't know what I should buy? My current i5 2500k is 7 years old, and the only money on the base unit I've spent since then is a GTX 970 I bought when Witcher 3 was released and a Samsung 1TB SSD last year, so I'm long overdue an upgrade. I don't really play games that much any more, I'm almost 50, just a bit of battlefield now and then. I was able to overclock my system for BF1, but with BFV even on low settings my CPU just ain't up to it any more. I play on a wall mounted 55" Sony TV which is a gaming TV with a low input lag, that is why I bought it and a Corsair wireless keyboard with 1ms response, similarly with the Logitech G900 mouse. Anyway the shopping list is an indication of what I'm going to buy. The mobo is £50 cheaper on another site, and the CPU £20 cheaper. As I will only be able to run 60FPS max due to the TV, I don't see the point on spending more on a GFX card, or do you think I should buy something better? Do you think I'm going overboard with the processor, or is it OK as I don't want to replace for about 5 years? Also what speed memory should I get, or is what I've got fine?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,105.64 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Last edited:
Soldato
saved you money and could save more if you didnt go for the 8 pack version ram.

Total: £1,013.64 (includes shipping: £14.70)

you shouldnt need 750w of power for either build and certainly not at that price for the psu.​

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help, but I won't do the bundle as I won't ever buy anything ASUS ever again, I've had lots of problems with ASUS over the years. I tend to stick to MSI these days as they are reliable and the support is really good. In the 7 years I've had this PC it's been the best by miles and miles. Not had a day's trouble with it as MOBO and GFX are MSI. Yeah I could definitely dial down the memory I think.

Soldato
You don't really want to go less than 3000mhz with Ryzen if you want to get the best out of the platform. These are faster and £20 cheaper than the slow Kingston Fury kit:-

i know im fine with mine, but that board i selected said 3200 with OC, so to me i dont know if 3200 works out the box or need the 2666 first, but yeah for the price anyways its no point going under if you dont need to, i chose the fury X because of its auto clock feature, i dont know what others have that.. OP has the budget either way.

Back
Top Bottom