Why are Americans so nice?

Associate
After living in the US for a couple of months now this pretty much sums my experience as well

The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business said:
It's easy to mistake certain social customs of Americans that might suggest strong personal connections when none are intended. For example, Americans are more likely than those from many cultures to smile at strangers and to engage in personal discussions with people they hardly know.

Others may interpret this "friendliness" as an offer of friendship. Later, when the Americans don't follow through on their unintended offer, those other cultures often accuse them of being "fake" or "hypocritical."

Igor Agapova, a Russian colleague of mine, tells this story about his first trip to the United States:

I sat down next to a stranger on the airplane for a nine-hour flight to New York. This American began asking me very personal questions: did I have any children, was it my first trip to the US, what was I leaving behind in Russia? And he began to also share very personal information about himself. He showed me pictures of his children, told me he was a bass player, and talked about how difficult his frequent travelling was for his wife, who was with his newborn child right now in Florida.
In response, Agapova started to do something that was unnatural for him and unusual in Russian culture - he shared his personal story quite openly with this friendly stranger thinking they had built an unusually deep friendship in a short period of time. The sequel was quite disappointing:

I thought that after this type of connection, we would be friends for a very long time. When the airplane landed, imagine my surprise when, as I reached for a piece of paper in order to write down my phone number, my new friend stood up and with a friendly wave of his hand said, "Nice to meet you! Have a great trip!" And that was it. I never saw him again. I felt he had purposely tricked me into opening up when he had no intention of following through on the relationship he had instigated.
The difference between American and Russian cultures here can be described as peach and coconut models of personal interaction.

In peach cultures like those in the United States or Brazil, to name a couple, people tend to be friendly ("soft") with others they have just met. They smile frequently at strangers, move quickly to first-name usage, share information about themselves, and ask personal questions of those they hardly know. But after a little friendly interaction with a peach person, you may suddenly get to the hardshell of the pit where the peach protects his real self. In these cultures, friendliness does not equal friendship.

In coconut cultures such as France, Germany, or Russia, people are more closed (like the tough shell of a coconut) with those they don't have friendships with. They rarely smile at strangers, ask casual acquaintances personal questions, or offer personal information to those they don't know intimately. It takes a while to get through the initial hard shell, but as you do, people will become gradually warmer and friendlier. While relationships are built up slowly, they tend to last longer

Tldr - americans are friendly but they don't always want friendship this can come across as fake or superficial to people that don't understand the culture

Soldato
I've been to america quite a few times, but i also live in the north east of England so I expect people to be friendly, my perception is Americans are similar to Brits, I've met nice ones and grumpy ones.. The customer service is better but you'd expect that if they want sales.. Some pool guy started arguing with me over UK migration once, he brought it up, a taxi took us the long way from the airport to Vegas strip and he didn't like his tip, he lost his ****, not friendly or professional, not all Americans are nice but these people are weathered to Brits, once in a while you'll meet Americans that have never talked to a Brit before and they're really friendly.

Soldato
I've been living here for 3 and a half years. Not been shot yet.

I don't think I can add anything fresh to the thread, but I can confirm that friendliness is definitely higher. It isn't disingenuous it just isn't meant to be meaningful. But I have made several life long close friends in the few years I have been here and I personally prefer the culture.

Man of Honour
Sometimes Americans gives me chills. :D

Great stuff that Country Roads clip, you have to spend some extended time with Americans to begin to understand what they’re like, particularly en masse at sporting events.
I’ve sat among a bunch of Red-Sox fans at Tropicana Stadium, wearing a Tampa Devil Rays shirt, and they ragged me mercilessly, “Jeez, are the Rays so bad, they gotta import Limeys to root for ‘em?”
Never once did anyone not smile, can you imagine if I was at Elland Road, in a Millwall shirt?
Talking about chills, two Americans that give ‘em to me, are Megan Fox, and Olivia Munn.

Associate
Americans are very direct and results orientated when it comes to work - You did or you didnt (eg hit sales target, or get 0 complaints), giving a culture with superficial tendancies.

Look after number one, and do whatever it takes to maximise outcome

Caporegime
I've been living here for 3 and a half years. Not been shot yet.

I don't think I can add anything fresh to the thread, but I can confirm that friendliness is definitely higher. It isn't disingenuous it just isn't meant to be meaningful. But I have made several life long close friends in the few years I have been here and I personally prefer the culture.

It's significantly easier to make friends when the temperature stay's warm (warmish) year round and the weather is mostly centered around that. I feel a great many problems with people's disdain for living in the UK is entirely because of a poor weather pattern. The disingeniousness is mostly centered around the Mississippi basin, and certainly plenty of American's believe it's a special kind of "polite", where it's 99% an insult being thrown at you.

In particular a certain bible belt sort of folk.

V F

V F

Soldato
The amount of self loathing in the first 4 pages of this thread are pathetic. Do you mope around all day wishing you were American?

So tell me, why are there so many that want the American dream? Some have moved out there and at some point down the line has become an American citizen. Even though it has taken a very long time.

Soldato
Dumb stats. Rather have acid thrown in your face then? What are the stats on that ? gun crime only exists for the majority in gang land. Stay away, and you'll be fine. Never once in the 15yrs of living here in the US, and travelling around a lot of it, have i ever once felt threatened of getting shot.. Never once ! Yet, i'm sure living in London for the first 30 odd yrs of living in the UK. i've had many occasions where i could have easily been stabbed up. Always looking over your shoulder. Trouble at every corner. The amount of scum / chavs England has walking the streets seems to be a lot higher. Granted, i was living in suburban London. Anyway, unless you've lived or even visited, you're probably not well placed to give judgement. In other words you have no idea. :)
You're comparing apples to oranges. Again London vs your massive suburban house in a well off area isn't a good comparison. Compare some quint little village in England with where you live and the friendliness etc is much more even. America is a big place, just because well off suburban areas in Florida are friendlier, doesn't mean some inner city areas of America will be friendly. So unless you have visited every state and the poor and well off areas of each state, then you have no idea either.

Soldato
You're comparing apples to oranges. Again London vs your massive suburban house in a well off area isn't a good comparison. Compare some quint little village in England with where you live and the friendliness etc is much more even. America is a big place, just because well off suburban areas in Florida are friendlier, doesn't mean some inner city areas of America will be friendly. So unless you have visited every state and the poor and well off areas of each state, then you have no idea either.

Detroit. :)

Man of Honour
Americans are in fact so friendly, they even given away their hard earned shotgun bullets to schools for free. Only downside, you have to dislodge them from the walls and bodies first.

Shell (when talking the whole package), pellet or slug is more common terms when describing what a shotgun shoots.

Back
Top Bottom