LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Soldato
Well my alienware 34" is arriving today :)
if it has any issues what so ever that im not happy with i might just give the LG a try :) though i would want the price everyone paid for it in here, what is this £100 extra added, ? OCUK inflation ? lol

Associate
Nice congrates
I'll wait though the price is £1200 not the guessed £1100 which is way above the closest competition from Alienware Standard Delivery Free Dell Price £1,003.20 (basically £200 more for minor differences). I'm in no desperate need for a monitor anyway. It was probably buying just for the sake of it with me. I'll get one from Overclockers in a few months when LG get their marketing/pricing act together

Last edited:
Associate
Took delivery and all setup, have to say glad I didn’t cancel the preorder now. Much better blb then the Acer z35p that I sent back, it’s a keeper!

Associate
Just setup my new 34GK950G, however I've got the strangest problem, a black information box keeps circling around the screen and I can't find anyway to hide it lol. I've connected using display port, even installed monitor drivers, anyone have any ideas?
https://imgur.com/a/P1BJY7u

Associate
So good news bad news :o

Good: Saturation on the F panel isn't an issue to worry about at all, unless someone told me I wouldn't even know its wide gamut, very similar if slighty more vibrant than my calibrated u2715h. Default setup was good too so LG did a good job there (other than having the brightness at 100% out the box). Back Bleed was minimal once brightness once corrected on my unit.

Everything setup and worked fine, set to 144hz and faster response and looked good, but to be honest I stopped around there bacause

Bad: Unformity is average, slight yellowing and brightness changes but acceptable. Slight shadowing around all screen sides along the bezel but again acceptable I could live with these and be happy, but throw a dead pixel in the mix at this premium and I'm done :sigh:.

Think I give up buying these high end monitors, unless they start offering pixel warrantys then it's a complete lottery still. I won't ask for a replacement as I feel thats unfair to OCUK with price changes.

Begs the question that if someone with poor eye sight can turn on a screen that see quality issues within 10 minutes what the hell kind of QA do they have on monitors...

Associate
So good news bad news :o

Good: Saturation on the F panel isn't an issue to worry about at all, unless someone told me I wouldn't even know its wide gamut, very similar if slighty more vibrant than my calibrated u2715h. Default setup was good too so LG did a good job there (other than having the brightness at 100% out the box). Back Bleed was minimal once brightness once corrected on my unit.

Everything setup and worked fine, set to 144hz and faster response and looked good, but to be honest I stopped around there bacause

Bad: Unformity is average, slight yellowing and brightness changes but acceptable. Slight shadowing around all screen sides along the bezel but again acceptable I could live with these and be happy, but throw a dead pixel in the mix at this premium and I'm done :sigh:.

Think I give up buying these high end monitors, unless they start offering pixel warrantys then it's a complete lottery still. I won't ask for a replacement as I feel thats unfair to OCUK with price changes.

Begs the question that if someone with poor eye sight can turn on a screen that see quality issues within 10 minutes what the hell kind of QA do they have on monitors...
Why wouldn’t you send it back if it had a dead pixel there is no way I would put up with that

Associate
I am :p, thats why mentioned was done when dead pixel was seen aswell. It's a good monitor but the panel lottery is a joke still.

Associate
Hurrah ! My G Model arrived today and I'm pleased to se others receive theirs too.

Only one slight question....is there a thin film covering the screen ? It looks like a peel away clear film, but it's so difficult to tell as there are no pull handles for it, like you might get with other screens I have seen before. I'm probably being over cautious, but hey, this is an expensive screen ! I was going to include a close up of one corner but I can only link URLS and not seem to upload images to a post :(
Thanks folks !

Associate
My F model arrived today and after some initial setup I'm very happy with the result! No dead or stuck pixels, zero BLB.
The only negative I have so far is the IPS glow in the lower left corner is noticeable and borderline distracting in very dark games, but other than that this monitor has met, nay, exceeded my expectations.
Standard gaming is a massive step up in visual quality from my ROG Swift (TN panel).
HDR gaming in Destiny 2 and Vampyr is a whole new level of colour goodness, but I did have to jack up the in game brightness in Vampyr as the barely visible symbol on my ROG was invisible on this panel until I jakced the brightness to 8. To clarify, the panels Brightness is currently set to 16.

Long term, this monitor will be moved into my new study with dimmable LED spots in the ceiling (currently this room is lit by a singke 60W energy saving bulb, not very bright) and if I can't remove the IPS glow to my satisfaction there I'll try out bias lighting and if that fails I'll learn to live with it.
Currently, this is the ONLY monitor that meets my buying needs - Ultrawide, Freesync 2, HDR, 144Hz. I knew that IPS glow is a thing before buying and pictures here and in other places do show "increased" glow in the lower left corner so I would be a fool if I didn't expect it. I've seen the nearest equivalent - Samsung CF791 - and whilst that's a nice panel it suffered from a lot of ghosting, smearing and black crush. So after seeing both I'm very happy with this panel :)

But the most important thing is that I now have FreeSync working! After being bitten badly by Gsync filcker with my old GPU and ROG, adaptive sync is now a beauty to behold, at this resoltuon and Hz!

So my message to LG is this - I feel that my monies have been well spent on this panel (it is indeed a thing of beauty), but to get me to spend again you need to make the same spec panel or better and remove the noticeable glow lower left corner (again, only in dark games where the whole left corner is pretty much black).
I can't say how important this is - my ROG swift may have looked rubbish in comparison, but it was uniform rubbish if you looked head on. IF I look head on, I expect perfection. I know this might seem it's getting into VA teritory, but I want the best of both worlds :)

Nwn

Nwn

Associate
My F model arrived today and after some initial setup I'm very happy with the result! No dead or stuck pixels, zero BLB.
The only negative I have so far is the IPS glow in the lower left corner is noticeable and borderline distracting in very dark games, but other than that this monitor has met, nay, exceeded my expectations.
Standard gaming is a massive step up in visual quality from my ROG Swift (TN panel).
HDR gaming in Destiny 2 and Vampyr is a whole new level of colour goodness, but I did have to jack up the in game brightness in Vampyr as the barely visible symbol on my ROG was invisible on this panel until I jakced the brightness to 8. To clarify, the panels Brightness is currently set to 16.

Long term, this monitor will be moved into my new study with dimmable LED spots in the ceiling (currently this room is lit by a singke 60W energy saving bulb, not very bright) and if I can't remove the IPS glow to my satisfaction there I'll try out bias lighting and if that fails I'll learn to live with it.
Currently, this is the ONLY monitor that meets my buying needs - Ultrawide, Freesync 2, HDR, 144Hz. I knew that IPS glow is a thing before buying and pictures here and in other places do show "increased" glow in the lower left corner so I would be a fool if I didn't expect it. I've seen the nearest equivalent - Samsung CF791 - and whilst that's a nice panel it suffered from a lot of ghosting, smearing and black crush. So after seeing both I'm very happy with this panel :)

But the most important thing is that I now have FreeSync working! After being bitten badly by Gsync filcker with my old GPU and ROG, adaptive sync is now a beauty to behold, at this resoltuon and Hz!

So my message to LG is this - I feel that my monies have been well spent on this panel (it is indeed a thing of beauty), but to get me to spend again you need to make the same spec panel or better and remove the noticeable glow lower left corner (again, only in dark games where the whole left corner is pretty much black).
I can't say how important this is - my ROG swift may have looked rubbish in comparison, but it was uniform rubbish if you looked head on. IF I look head on, I expect perfection. I know this might seem it's getting into VA teritory, but I want the best of both worlds :)

Well I dont agree with your statment about cf791. I'm using it about 1 year with 1080 Ti , I bought it from OC, the price even now very attractive , not mention about LG 1100,,,,, cf791 got perfect blacks, colors most vibrant, no bls or any other kind of glow... yes sometimes you can see ghosting or some black smearing , but price and image of screen is perfect... Now I consider buy Alienware , because I want to try G Sync, but I'm not sure that I will get same picture quality, it might be even worse. Why not lg gk950G ? Price at this moment is insane. So I just wanted to tell, that everybody got their own preferences.. who want glow in corners, who want some ghosting.

Associate
Received my G model, was looking good but I have a pixel stuck on green, so disappointed. I've tried various screen tools to "unstick" the pixel without success so going to have to send it back. Only 1 pixel but stands out a mile to me in dark scenes.

Associate
Well I dont agree with your statment about cf791. I'm using it about 1 year with 1080 Ti , I bought it from OC, the price even now very attractive , not mention about LG 1100,,,,, cf791 got perfect blacks, colors most vibrant, no bls or any other kind of glow... yes sometimes you can see ghosting or some black smearing , but price and image of screen is perfect...

So you're really agreeing with me then :)
My point is that I can put up with the IPS issues and not the VA issues.

Back
Top Bottom