Could be a simple solution, but your help / ideas appreciated....

Associate
Not strictly PC, but would be the same. I have a wall/ceiling mounted tv in the bedroom. When we have houseguests, we'd like to use headphones to use the tv without disturbing them. My TV has standard 3.5mm that cuts sound when plug inserted. I don't mind using wires or bluetooth, but the problem is that it's not practical to plug in/unplug the 3.5mm every time I want to go between the headphones or tv speaker.
A switchbox over the bed with one input / 2 outputs is ideal OR bluetooth tx on tv, but how to go back to tv speakers!?
Any practical wiring tips, or commercially available products?
Thanks for reading this....

Soldato
Does your TV have optical output?

That would be the best and easiest way to go about it. If it's 3.5mm only, it depends if your TV has an option to output to headphone jack and/or speakers. Some can do this; depends on what brand and model your TV is. I've got a Hisense TV which gives me an option to use either or both when inserting a 3.5mm jack.

If your TV doesn't have such an option and automatically outputs volume to headphones when they are inserted, then there I can't see any way around it other than having to insert and remove the 3.5mm jack.

Soldato
My previous TV would output sound from the 3.5 mm output and speakers simultaneously, my current TV doesn't. To get around the issue I use optical output to a Fiio D03K DAC.

Soldato
I would just get a set of wireless Bluetooth headsets that DONT lag and liberate you from the sinful creation called wires.:D

once you go wireless there is no going back but its very important to buy a decent set of headsets and not some cheap Chinese apple air pods knock off. I am currently using Sony WI-C400 and they are nothing short of amazing for the simple fact the battery can last 20 hours if not more, the sound quality is also very good for a <£50 in ear headphones. They might not be audiophile quality but for general TV they are good enough and if you want something better thats no problem either. The Bluetooth on it has great range although you can only pair it with one device at a time.

Associate
Some TVs have the option to change the behaviour of the headphone socket. Look in the setup menus. You may be able to output to the speakers and the headphone socket simultaneously, with the heaphone output volume unaffected by the volume setting. If not, you may wish to get a 3.5mm stereo Y splitter cable and a soundba

Back
Top Bottom