Is it ok to power a GPU using dual 6+2 pin off one cable?

Associate
I’ve just purchased a EVGA 2070 XC. My PSU is a Seasonic 550w Focus+ Platinum. The GPU requires a 8 pin and a 6 pin. I haven’t been using a GPU that has required extra power recently so had a look at what cables there were. There’s only the one PCIe cable that has dual 6+2 pin connectors. Is it ok to just use the one cable for both connections?

Associate
OP
Do the cables have a standard wiring configuration? It’s not really something I’ve ever looked in to. I think I have another Seasonic PSU in the spares box but didn’t want to try one of the cables for that, if they don’t. Just in case it doesn’t boot.

Soldato
I am powering my 1080Ti's off a single branching cable to each GPU with 0 issues (HXi 1200 does not have enough spare PCIe for 3 GPU's) and have been for a few months while my AX1600i cables get sleeved.

I know some people have seen fractionally better overclock's apparently with a pair of cables to each GPU but no real big difference.

Associate
OP
Just to add, I sent a email to Seasonic not long after posting this thread, just wondering if they would be able to supply another PCIe cable. Had a reply back, seems as though they are updating the cable set that comes with the Focus Plus range and are going to be including 2 PCIe cables instead of the 1 that splits in to two 6+2 pin. Have just had to send a proof of purchase and address and they'll send one out to me. Great customer service.

Associate
Just to add, I sent a email to Seasonic not long after posting this thread, just wondering if they would be able to supply another PCIe cable. Had a reply back, seems as though they are updating the cable set that comes with the Focus Plus range and are going to be including 2 PCIe cables instead of the 1 that splits in to two 6+2 pin. Have just had to send a proof of purchase and address and they'll send one out to me. Great customer service.

You are welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom