Best set up in games with DT 770 PRO 250 ohm

Underboss
i got these headphones a few years back
and i run them on my PC with the Asus Essence STX soundcard

ive recently been looking at soundbars for the TV , Dolby Atmos etc etc and got me thinking about changing these to Dolby headphones, but ive decided not to and keep these because of the cost (think they were £150 !)

so in light of that, if im playing games whats the best way to set this up ?

i prefer to use the "game" button on the sound cards control panel (ticks the box for Dolby) with this off i find it too "tinny"

rest is

2 channel
Headphone
PCM 96KHz

is this correct?

Soldato
Not entirely sure about its control software from reviews, so does it have separate "audio channels" and "output something"?
That audio channels should be 5.1/7.1.

Which is what should be also visible as output configuration in Playback settings of Windows.
If there's stereo as setting in there games and any other software like movie player, will produce only speaker stereo mix, which will suck with headphones, no matter what.
(though bad headphones would suck harder than vacuum with any signal)

Card's output selection must be headphones, otherwise headphone output won't even be active.
Then Dolby Headphone needs to be selected for binaural sound simulation from 5.1/7.1 source.

Though for all its hype Dolby Headphone is rather mediocre with tendency for echo and bass bloat.
It sounds just about tolerable with bass neutral headphone.
And DT770's bass should be more toward hits like freight train (because you "southern" Europeans have such small trucks) level.
So might want to try some downward EQ for bass to better distinguish details like foot steps.
Not sure if different settings of Dolby Headphone would help to that bass bloat.

Soldato
The game will need to be set to 5.1 or 7.1, otherwise it will just send out stereo audio. That would need to be done in every game (if it has the option to), but many games will likely be set to 5.1/7.1 as default I would have thought.

Dolby Headphone is enabled when you click on the 'game' DSP button, but I don't think that changes the audio channel number. Ideally, that should be changed to 8 as that will set Windows to 7.1.

Leaving the game being played set to stereo output and having 2 channels set in the Xonar CP, hinders how well Dolby Headphone can work.

Back
Top Bottom