• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
And that is why 16 cores on AM4 socket is a bad idea. Not only you gonna additionally segment your socket, but you will introduce this confusion of which board does support and doesn't within the same socket. Why does AMD need to have AM4, TR socket and EPYC socket, when they are then splitting hairs within AM4 socket? Why introduce 135W 16 core AM4 chip on dual channel RAM, when they can easily keep Threadripper at 16 cores on 7nm with much higher clocks than previously, and keep away from added confusion. Its bad enough we have this royal mess from Intels sockets, now we are looking at the similar situation from AMD. Now we have several pages of discussion on enthusiast forum asking/answering which board will or will not support new chips. WTF? Imagine what kind of the crapfest is gonna be with less "enthusiastic" customers?
16 cores on AM4 are totally unnecessary, though I will buy it if they release it, just because..

Associate
Which account for a not-so-significant amount of watts..

So you believe that 16 core 32 thread chip overclocked to let's say 4.8ghz will still require only 135W? :D I know that everyone keeps ignoring the power curve after the overclocking, especially with AMD chips, but its there and the numbers are insane

Soldato
Lol,we had 125W and 140W TDP class CPUs in an era of worse PSUs,and many overclocked CPUs consume a lot of power anyway. I remember running my overclocked high VID Q6600 and overclocked HD5850 fine off a Shuttle SFF PSU fine.

Soldato
Im thinking it will be prudent to upgrade to a 850w PSU IF we truly are getting 16 core 5Ghz chips.
I did a rough PSU calculator of my exact rig but using a theoretical 5Ghx TR1950X @ 1.3v and it's suggesting this, now of course 7nm will be more efficient but I do think my 600W 6 year old PSU will have to go. (This doesn't actually include my Oculus Rift)
5WHG2Dv.png

Soldato
450W consumption from the components won't overload a 600W power supply.

Yeah I know that. So a GTX 1080 and OC 16c/32t Ryzen 3 drawing 450W would be fine in beany's 600W PSU.

Unless he bought a cheap no-name Chinese death trap for a PSU which is probably only rated for 200W at less than 25 degrees and will explode if you even think about putting it under load.

Soldato
What happens if you put a 105W 2700X and overclock it? Will work properly but we will continue to spread myths?
In gaming there might not be instant problems.
But high VRM temperature certainly has effect to lifespan of its capacitors making VRM fail faster because of them, if soemthing else doesn't break first.
With full all core/thread load like video encoding VRM would definitely overheat fast causing throttling.

:D I know that everyone keeps ignoring the power curve after the overclocking, especially with AMD chips, but its there and the numbers are insane
People are ignoring it already with Intel chips.
Already 8700K was capable to seriously exceeding TDP without any user overclocking, if BIOS just chased after advertised boost clocks instead of strict following of advertised TDP.
9900K can go to 200W if cooling is capable to keeping temps under control to not limit boosting. (& 50% over TDP just in very real world Blender)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

Same here:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3389-intel-tdp-investigation-9900k-violating-turbo-duration-z390

Lots of those Intel overclockings people so proudly tout might well fall crashing down if stress tested thoroughly.

Soldato
but I do think my 600W 6 year old PSU will have to go

Well that's a totally different kettle of fish!

I've just bought a Corsair SF600 for exactly this reason; although my Silverstone ST45SF-G has run my 2500K and overclocked GTX Titan perfectly fine for 5 years, the project has shifted to a 6700K and I'm not overclocking with that 450W unit.

Soldato
Yeah I know that. So a GTX 1080 and OC 16c/32t Ryzen 3 drawing 450W would be fine in beany's 600W PSU.

Unless he bought a cheap no-name Chinese death trap for a PSU which is probably only rated for 200W at less than 25 degrees and will explode if you even think about putting it under load.

Again...There is more to a PC than CPU and GPU. I have many other things plugged into to my PSU. Namely.

• M.2 SSD
  • SATA SSD
  • 3x HDD
  • 2x LED strips
  • X62 AIO
  • 4x 120mm Fans
  • Oculus Rift including sensors
  • Several items charging via USB
All of these use power. I'm sure there is plenty more I forget right now. Point is, there is more to a PSU than just CPU and GPU. Accurate as possible calculations not including occulus rift suggest ~750W PSU. And no, my PSU is Corsair Gold, not a deathtrap model lol.

Not to mention most efficiency is achieved at ~50% utilisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
JonnyGURU would probably disagree with you there :p
That's the problem with becoming "too expert" in something. Your standards become so sqewed that nothing but the very very very best is good enough. I'd love a Ferrari 488 but I dare say for Lewis Hamilton it won't be enough and will feel slow.

I've had 6 uneventful years on my Corsair Gold no issues. According to JonnyGURU I should have wasted more money on getting exactly the same experience...

Associate
Already 8700K was capable to seriously exceeding TDP without any user overclocking, if BIOS just chased after advertised boost clocks instead of strict following of advertised TDP.
9900K can go to 200W if cooling is capable to keeping temps under control to not limit boosting. (& 50% over TDP just in very real world Blender)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

Same here:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3389-intel-tdp-investigation-9900k-violating-turbo-duration-z390

Lots of those Intel overclockings people so proudly tout might well fall crashing down if stress tested thoroughly.

Yes hypocrisy at its finest. Performance per watt is most important, lol, and then turns around to overclock their chip to 5ghz.
Don't tell our own 9900K owners, I think I saw them using superpi to check if their RAM clocks are stable. I might be wrong and misread it, since I long forsaken anything Pi related :)
on a serious note, for some quick run of a game at certain overclock is considered stable.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Whats your guys' opinions on this article?
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...mds-ryzen-3000-series-are-too-good-to-be-true

Apparently its just not possible for these rumours to be true based on a couple of different things, not sure how to take it! it could just be an intel fanboy but it does sound like he has some valid points, one of them being that the 3000 series Ryzen 3 is basically the 2000 series Ryzen 7, and its being sold for half the price? And everything beneath 6 cores is now no more? Im not sure, but its probably best to take all this information with just a grain of salt anyway

Associate
In gaming there might not be instant problems.
But high VRM temperature certainly has effect to lifespan of its capacitors making VRM fail faster because of them, if soemthing else doesn't break first.
With full all core/thread load like video encoding VRM would definitely overheat fast causing throttling.

Same here:

Happens when your on a old node and 250w isn't uncommon on the 9900k.
for twice the price and getting old before its even out as 2019 and amd is about to smack stormbreaker down well
I predicted once the nm advantage went away amd would be good but this went even better when intel tried to be better than they were with 10nm

Soldato
I had an FX9590, Crosshair ATX, Radeon HD7970, 16GB of DDR3, several hard drives, WC pump and fans all running on my Seasonic X-650.

Power at the wall running Prime and Heaven concurrently rarely exceeded 470 watts.

Associate
Whats your guys' opinions on this article?
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...mds-ryzen-3000-series-are-too-good-to-be-true

Apparently its just not possible for these rumours to be true based on a couple of different things, not sure how to take it! it could just be an intel fanboy but it does sound like he has some valid points, one of them being that the 3000 series Ryzen 3 is basically the 2000 series Ryzen 7, and its being sold for half the price? And everything beneath 6 cores is now no more? Im not sure, but its probably best to take all this information with just a grain of salt anyway

Extremetech has been pro AMD most of the time. It is common sense to doubt the leaks. At this point in time we can just sit and wait, don't put your hopes up, simple. Think of it this way: those leaks are fake, and even if Zen 2 gonna be half as good as rumoured, we still gonna get great product. The fact is, Zen 2 whichever way you look at it, is gonna be very good, as we are jumping to new process node.

I had an FX9590, Crosshair ATX, Radeon HD7970, 16GB of DDR3, several hard drives, WC pump and fans all running on my Seasonic X-650.

Power at the wall running Prime and Heaven concurrently rarely exceeded 470 watts.

Well, Seasonic is one of those marketing based PSU manufacturers after all :D

Soldato
Well that's a totally different kettle of fish!

I've just bought a Corsair SF600 for exactly this reason; although my Silverstone ST45SF-G has run my 2500K and overclocked GTX Titan perfectly fine for 5 years, the project has shifted to a 6700K and I'm not overclocking with that 450W unit.
Nothing wrong with my 9.5 year old 700 W PSU. Even powers the hungry hungry Vega without issue. If anything, a Zen 2 setup would probably use less power.

Associate
The question is, is the 3700x going to be worth it for gaming over the 3600x? As nice as it would be to own 12 cores, do I really need it over 8 cores? :p

Guess it depends on the price difference upon launch...

Back
Top Bottom