BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I thought my UF2 connection was fitted today and I can find my power line adaptors I don't have anything with me that has an ethernet port bar the router itself :( I'll try and unpack something as soon as I can get round to it.

Associate
I thought my UF2 connection was fitted today and I can find my power line adaptors I don't have anything with me that has an ethernet port bar the router itself :( I'll try and unpack something as soon as I can get round to it.

Did you manage to see how you fared with the adapters?

Soldato
That moment when... g.fast install booked for today 9am-11am, no engineer and all I can get from BT after 22 minutes in the phone is ‘some work needs to be done on the exchange’ and ‘you’ll get a call back within 24hrs’.

Anyone got a direct contact for the team who specifically deal with failed g.fast installs as if it’s not happening today I could be doing more productive things elsewhere.

Associate
Did you manage to see how you fared with the adapters?

Thanks for the reminder, I'm very limited on kit at my new house, so the only thing I could do in the end was test using a 10/100 rated USB->Ethernet dongle.

Macbook Pro connected at 5 Ghz WiFi: Ping to 8.8.8.8 average 9.4 m/s, Fast.com average of 270 Mbps.
Asus Laptop connected via USB ethernet to TP-Link "500Mpbs rated" Power Line adaptors: Ping: 12.1 m/s, Fast.com average 88 Mbps
SFTP 10.9 MB/s (Mac -> Asus)

Sorry best I can do at the moment, tried using the Xbox One to measure connection speeds but it's speed test is waaaayyyy off.

Thanks

UL,

(Edit ordered a 1/10/1000 USB Ethernet adaptor which Amazon says should be here tomorrow so hopefully should be able to get better figures tomorrow night).

Associate
Just to say got the 1 Gig USB ethernet adaptor but it just wont connect to the powerline adaptors at 1 Gig, and the speed tests are the same (I.e. it maxes at 100 Mbps).

Cheers

UL

Soldato
Just to say got the 1 Gig USB ethernet adaptor but it just wont connect to the powerline adaptors at 1 Gig, and the speed tests are the same (I.e. it maxes at 100 Mbps).

Cheers

UL

That's likely because your power line adapters is only capable of 100mbit at the port (usually anything under gigabit speeds does).

Associate
Yes what he said, my old AV2s topped out around that because the only had 100Mbs port, I've just upgraded to AV2000 from TP link, I have the WPA9610kit and 9020P kit, it was a bit unreliable to start with but upgraded all firmwares and it has been running for a couple of months no bother, only getting 300Mbps transfers but that is over 3 floors and also out to detached garage 60ft from the house, its ~ >3x the av500 gear and the wifi extender has wireless AC1200, no wifi holes throught the house.

Latency seems good but has added a couple of ms running about 10ms on speed test, only have the 54Mb service from BT as I am tight :D

If your house is empty look at putting in ethernet, you can feed it under floorboards, in skirting boards etc as it will of course be better I should have done this but if you are lazy like me, powerline is a winner.

My router is in the old section of the house there is a distinct speed difference between powerline there and the new parts, new parts of house report 1Gbps connection to each other over powerline but to router in old part connection is around 300Mbps, so only I see 27-30MB/s file transfers as this is probably my limiter, might try and wire to new section of house to see if I get the faster transfers.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Nice. G.fast? Any details on the line stats or length?

You estimate is about what mine is, I'm just not sure I want to go back into another 12 month contract with Zen, I only have a few left as it its. But I really want G.fast! :o

Associate
Hi,

I'm having a few issues with our Wi-Fi, we've got BT infinity FTTC and are using the BT "Smart" Hub.

Initially the Wi-Fi was quite poor with constant drop out, I did manage to get it working fairly consistently for the last few months but last week, the 5 Ghz suddenly stopped working. It took 7 or 8 reboots to get it working again.

Even though the 5 GHz is working again, it's constantly dropping out and is often running slow with high latency. 2.4 GHz is working a lot better but even though ping is low 8-10 ms it feels laggy e.g. clicking on web pages tends to sit and think about it for a while before loading.

I'm just looking for some advice on what to do next. I have a Unifi AP Pro which was working very well but this has also started to have problems. Although the speed and latency are good, a few times a day it would just stop working and would require a restart.

I've also been looking at the Netgear Orbi, does anyone know how this would affect latency? Would this add much to the 8-10 ms ping I'm currently getting?

So do I persist with BT hub, are there any settings I should try?

Do I go back to the Unifi AP Pro, is there anything I can do to improve the stability?

Is the Orbi a good solution to use, how good\bad are mesh systems for gaming?

Should I go for a completely different solution like the Netgear R7000 or ASUS RT-AC86U or any other solution?

Max budget £250 if I'm to be buying new gear.

Soldato
See if BT will replace it as faulty as a first step.

Having the BT router and the AP-Pro faulty at the same time is suspicious. The AP-Pro may be suffering because of the problems with the BT router.

Soldato
I'll be moving into my new house next month and luckily it's got FTTP.

Saw the location of the FTTP box in the cupboard under the stairs in a show home so I had network ports in the living room and office upstairs going back to the cupboard under the stairs. Hopefully it all works out as a good plan.

I just hope the wireless performance from the router is ok when it's behind a closed door under the stairs.

I need to start looking at FTTP providers ? Is it just BT ?

Can I only order once I've moved into the house ? I wanna try and get the internet up and running on moving in day end of January.

Thanks Ben

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone received the SmartHub 2 yet? Curious to know if it offers any decent improvement over the earlier HomeHubs; I've got a HH5 but even in my flat wi-fi performance is still iffy.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ub-2-broadband-router-and-complete-wi-fi.html

Yes, I was given one + a disc as part of the trial. I did have the SH1. The coverage from just the router was slightly better, but not really that noticeable. The extra disc is what has made the real difference, my living room and garden now have full coverage!

Soldato
They do, but there should still be a G.fast modem allocated to your appointment.

Apparently BT installs don’t have a modem allocated to the install and i’m also getting VOIP. As this was the first g.fast install my installer had done and apparently i’m the first person in the region to get VOIP, it wasn’t looking good at that point, also didn’t help the g.fast team ignored the callback request. Eventually got installed, sync’s very much on the lower end of the range and it’s unlikely anything will be done till the 10 day training period is up.

Back
Top Bottom