Is the Seasonic Focus Plus 550W a good choice?

Associate
Is the above PSU a good choice for the system in my signature? I'd like to know if there is anything else I should look at - I don't want to have to replace the PSU again for at least 5 years or more, so need to make the right choice. I might be doing some major upgrades next year which will probably be a system based on a new i7 , keeping the 1070 for now.

Here's a link, I don't know how to link my OCUK basket, so would be good if someone could explain that :)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05p-ss.html

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice, yeah I was thinking a quality 550W PSU should be enough for most single-GPU systems. I have my PC connected to an electricity monitor which shows around 230W-270W while gaming so I could get away with less, but I'm hoping 550 - 650W would leave enough headroom for the next few years of upgrades.

Associate
I have the 650w Seasonic 80+ Gold Focus from OC
Gotta say it's solid so far, I wouldn't have a problem recommending it at all.
Just fyi, my PSU gives a very slight ticking noise and on reading about this around forums it seems part of the function of the hybrid fan if your fussy about silly noises I would avoid.

Associate
I have the 650w Seasonic 80+ Gold Focus from OC
Gotta say it's solid so far, I wouldn't have a problem recommending it at all.
Just fyi, my PSU gives a very slight ticking noise and on reading about this around forums it seems part of the function of the hybrid fan if your fussy about silly noises I would avoid.

I had the 750watt version of this until I got something else. On a water cooled (near silent) build, when just idling using the desktop, this ticking drove me insane. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking putting that fan in, the motor makes that noise at low rpm. My solution was to turn the hybrid mode off! Can't hear the fan when it's spinning just that little bit faster.

Associate
OP
I went for the 550W Focus Plus and very happy with it so far. I'm already seeing efficiency improvements, the system idles around 50W but I've seen it go below 49W which is nearly 10% less than with the old PSU. In games it seems to use less power too. The cables are longer too so I didn't need to use extensions for the mobo connectors.

I've noticed the slight ticking noise from the fan too but in hybrid mode I haven't seen the fan come on, but I can't see it with the case closed anyway. Luckily my system is far from silent, even though the case is designed to be quiet but it's 10 years old, so any noise from the PSU will be drowned out by the other fans. I can see how that would be annoying in a silent system though.

Am I right in thinking the "Hybrid Mode" is on when the button is out, and when it's pressed in the fan will always spin even at idle?

Associate
Am I right in thinking the "Hybrid Mode" is on when the button is out, and when it's pressed in the fan will always spin even at idle?

Correct !

hybrid-button.jpg

Back
Top Bottom