• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I'm saying if the barrier of reading a document stops you building a computer then you should just quit trying to build it and move on. AMD could have 500 SKU's, ture enthusiasts and the build-your-own PC crowd/community would work through them and short list what is best in no time at all, and forums would be filled with what/how/why scenarios, just like they are now.

The internet didn't exist back in the days when it was semi-hard to build and configure a PC, and we have to rely on computer clubs, magazines, and our own wits of problem solving to get things working as intended in order to get your fix of Prince of Persia, or Doom, or in my case Ultima.

Easy, simple, stupid proof, dumbed down etc. these are things that it seems people all want these days, and yes I get it, but at the same time it's sad to see people worrying about having to read something, like having the jigsaw already finished when they take it out of the box.

I'm with you bro, pre plug and play :) I think that Intel became confusing by naming sockets by pin count and hovering around 1150 for so long with each one incompatible with the previous, however if you cannot identify compatibilities in this internet age, you have the wrong hobby.

Permabanned
which strategy? If they go 16 cores on AM4, they will be using Intels strategy to segment the market with incompatible chips, that one motherboard can run certain CPU while other motherboard with similar chipset cannot run new CPU, or adding more SKUs and being like Intel where you need an encyclopedia of IT to decide which cpu/motherboard to buy

This may very well be wrong. The 16-core SKUs can be 95W-125W with lower frequency, while the 6-core, 8-core and 12-core SKUs may very well be 65W-95W with a little bit higher frequencies.
Why did you decide that a 125W SKU won't fit in the existing X370/X470/B350 and B450 chipsets? :confused:

Associate
So, should we just ask AMD to not publish their new Zen 2 line up at all when they release it to the market? Just to make you guys go back to the days of magazines and computer clubs? For years we wanted AMD to gain MIND share in the market, to sell more chips, you lot think that flooding the market and overcomplicating compatibility within your own same product line of products is best way to win mind share.
You have TR4 socket and you have AM4 socket. All AM4 CPUs are working on any AM4 motherboard. Now there is a possibility to have AM4 processor which is not compatible with AM4 motherboard. Though who knows, you guys might be enjoying doing things through your back sides, instead of headache free simple component compatibility. Not everyone has all the time in the world to mix and match things.

Soldato
So, should we just ask AMD to not publish their new Zen 2 line up at all when they release it to the market? Just to make you guys go back to the days of magazines and computer clubs? For years we wanted AMD to gain MIND share in the market, to sell more chips, you lot think that flooding the market and overcomplicating compatibility within your own same product line of products is best way to win mind share.
You have TR4 socket and you have AM4 socket. All AM4 CPUs are working on any AM4 motherboard. Now there is a possibility to have AM4 processor which is not compatible with AM4 motherboard. Though who knows, you guys might be enjoying doing things through your back sides, instead of headache free simple component compatibility. Not everyone has all the time in the world to mix and match things.
eIS1NcJ.png

Associate
This may very well be wrong. The 16-core SKUs can be 95W-125W with lower frequency, while the 6-core, 8-core and 12-core SKUs may very well be 65W-95W with a little bit higher frequencies.
Why did you decide that a 125W SKU won't fit in the existing X370/X470/B350 and B450 chipsets? :confused:

FFS, I give up

Associate
The rumours are fake I highly doubt they'd release 16 core CPUs I have a feeling they will only release up to the 3700x and then release the 3800x which will be 10/12 core CPU to counter Intel's 10 core or whatever it's meant to be

Soldato
AMD released a an 8 core desktop chip to compete with Intels 4 core.
Why does everyone think they are suddenly going to "hold back" and only release just enough (10/12 core) to compete with Intel?

Soldato
AMD released a an 8 core desktop chip to compete with Intels 4 core.
Why does everyone think they are suddenly going to "hold back" and only release just enough (10/12 core) to compete with Intel?

I don't think AMD will hold back.i think 2019 will the start of a campaign for AMD.

Soldato
you lot think that flooding the market and overcomplicating compatibility within your own same product line of products is best way to win mind share.

If it's all a bit too complicated for you then perhaps you need to find a different interest. I bet you a fiver that the second somebody turns around and says "hang on, is PCI-E going to be compatible with X470 motherboards?" then they're already knowledgeable about PC hardware they will have zero issues double-checking a few things when speccing a build.

Besides, the mind share is not won by enthusiasts who have no issue reading a spec sheet for a couple of minutes, the mind share is won by mass market sales by OEMs who have already done the component matching and slapped everything into a pre-made box.

Though who knows, you guys might be enjoying doing things through your back sides, instead of headache free simple component compatibility. Not everyone has all the time in the world to mix and match things.

And it is these people who buy HP, Dell, Acer, Apple, etc.

Honestly, if all of this "techy stuff" is too much for you to process then that's fine, but please don't start projecting your inability/unwillingness to read a couple of specs onto the rest of us.

Soldato
I don't think AMD will hold back.i think 2019 will the start of a campaign for AMD.

I agree.
2018 was the year they stabbed the knife into Intel. Next year they are going to twist it.

+1
In full agreement with both of you. AMD's entire future survival revolves around them grabbing as much of the market and mindset as the possibly can. The best chance they have of doing that is with the release of Ryzen 2. With Intel's laziness on innovation, production problems and lack of competent management.................if AMD can't grab a lions share of the market next year, they never will.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

+1
In full agreement with both of you. AMD's entire future survival revolves around them grabbing as much of the market and mindset as the possibly can. The best chance they have of doing that is with the release of Ryzen 2. With Intel's laziness on innovation, production problems and lack of competent management.................if AMD can't grab a lions share of the market next year, they never will.

I have a feeling that they will, at least with the gamers. Still not too sure about the regular user market, but if its marketed properly and becomes more mainstream then it'll definitely catch on and either intel dies or they'll have to seriously step up their gam

Soldato
10/20 or 12/24 for gamers is into the realms of becoming slightly outdated before all those cores and threads are fully utilised I'd guess. I'm hoping the new 8/16 clock as high as anything greater with lower temps/noise on aio/high end air.

Soldato
I just hope they don't twist the knife so badly that it hurts Intel's DGPU project. Because we really need that to bring Nvidia into check!

That's about as realistic as saying AMD will never be competitive again. We won't need Intel's workstation card (because it will be a workstation card, not a gaming card any time soon) if Navi 12/10 delivers. We won't need Intel if Big Navi 20 is a thing and can take on the 2080 Ti, We won't need Intel if Arcturus proves to be a game changer.

Just as many "ifs" in there as when talking about Intel's GPU.

Soldato
10/20 or 12/24 for gamers is into the realms of becoming slightly outdated before all those cores and threads are fully utilised I'd guess. I'm hoping the new 8/16 clock as high as anything greater with lower temps/noise on aio/high end air.
Depends how long you plan to keep the CPU I guess. Even if you wanted AM4 for many years, you can always drop in a higher tier one later if you need more cores. Having said that, 6 cores is already not enough to get consistent frame times in some games, so 8-10 cores sounds about right for a future proof gaming PC right now.

Soldato
That's about as realistic as saying AMD will never be competitive again. We won't need Intel's workstation card (because it will be a workstation card, not a gaming card any time soon) if Navi 12/10 delivers. We won't need Intel if Big Navi 20 is a thing and can take on the 2080 Ti, We won't need Intel if Arcturus proves to be a game changer.

Just as many "ifs" in there as when talking about Intel's GPU.
we won't "need" Intel no.

But I would much sooner have 3 players in the market than 2!

Soldato
Depends how long you plan to keep the CPU I guess. Even if you wanted AM4 for many years, you can always drop in a higher tier one later if you need more cores. Having said that, 6 cores is already not enough to get consistent frame times in some games, so 8-10 cores sounds about right for a future proof gaming PC right now.

As an early adopter of Ryzen 1700 (Apr '17), I am kind of expecting (hoping) for a drop in replacement Ryzen 3xxx in 6-12 months time in my CH6 X370 AM4. That is socket longevity in my view.

Back
Top Bottom