BUNDLE - RYZEN 7 2700X, ASUS STRIX X370-F, TEAM GROUP RAM

Associate
I purchased this with the
Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey upgrade.

The RAM is seen as 2400 by bios in default mode and is reliable at that speed.

I need to know exactly what changes are required to make it work reliably at 3200.

Currently I have used the DOCP profile which is supposed to select the optimal for RAM which sets it to be 3200 and also sets the voltage and latency to match what the sticker on the RAM packages states, but it is not reliable for more than a few minutes.
All of the settings it changes appear to match what the RAM package says.

So I have two questions.
1. can anyone give me the EXACT settings I need to use on this EXACT bundle for a reliable setup?
2. Is there a real significant performance difference in game between running the exact same hardware with only ram speed changed from 2400 to 3200?

By real significant difference, I mean a frame rate increase that can be felt, not a fps counter showing 3 extra frames.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Google Ryzen DRAM Calculator, then be prepared to spend a while reading up, then have a go.

It's actually a lot easier to do than I thought it would be.

Can't quote you an exact number but I gather that at lower resolutions it can be somewhere between 10-20%. Certainly worth playing around with anyway.

Soldato
I purchased this with the
Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey upgrade.

The RAM is seen as 2400 by bios in default mode and is reliable at that speed.

I need to know exactly what changes are required to make it work reliably at 3200.

Currently I have used the DOCP profile which is supposed to select the optimal for RAM which sets it to be 3200 and also sets the voltage and latency to match what the sticker on the RAM packages states, but it is not reliable for more than a few minutes.
All of the settings it changes appear to match what the RAM package says.

So I have two questions.
1. can anyone give me the EXACT settings I need to use on this EXACT bundle for a reliable setup?
2. Is there a real significant performance difference in game between running the exact same hardware with only ram speed changed from 2400 to 3200?

By real significant difference, I mean a frame rate increase that can be felt, not a fps counter showing 3 extra frames.

Yes. Just Google Ryzen memory scaling.

First step is make sure your on the latest bios for your mobo.

All you need to do is set DOCP in bios. Save & reboot. If you find any instability, you lower the speed by a single small step.

Repeat if necessary.

Associate
OP
Yes. Just Google Ryzen memory scaling.

First step is make sure your on the latest bios for your mobo.

All you need to do is set DOCP in bios. Save & reboot. If you find any instability, you lower the speed by a single small step.

Repeat if necessary.

Latest bios .. Done, It was required just to get my mouse to work without lagging everywhere.
DOCP gave the exact settings the RAM packaging said, ( they are unstable ) <-- I am sure my post mentioned this.

Thanks for answering.

As for lowering the speeds to make it work, that is defeating the object of purchasing RAM which claims to run at 3200.
If it doesn't run at the advertised speed without the need to manually adjust bios settings then it should not be an option in the combo as it is clearly not proven to work.

I am happy with it running reliably at 2400, what I am not happy about is, it was purchased to run at 3200 but clearly doesn't.
After making the original post about performance differences, I have watched several youtube vids and remain unconvinced that I am losing out on enough to worry about in actual game play.

Soldato
Latest bios .. Done, It was required just to get my mouse to work without lagging everywhere.
DOCP gave the exact settings the RAM packaging said, ( they are unstable ) <-- I am sure my post mentioned this.

Thanks for answering.

As for lowering the speeds to make it work, that is defeating the object of purchasing RAM which claims to run at 3200.
If it doesn't run at the advertised speed without the need to manually adjust bios settings then it should not be an option in the combo as it is clearly not proven to work.

I am happy with it running reliably at 2400, what I am not happy about is, it was purchased to run at 3200 but clearly doesn't.
After making the original post about performance differences, I have watched several youtube vids and remain unconvinced that I am losing out on enough to worry about in actual game play.

This is Ryzen. Ryzen and memory are not a good fit.

I bought 8 Pack Samsung B-Die ram especially to solve my ram issue. It didn't.

I have to run my ram at 3133MHz otherwise it's not stable.

There are more than 1 variable when it comes to memory. IMC on CPU and mobo can all be the issue.

So if's it's not stable at 3200MHz either return it or try a slower speed.

When I first received my ram it wasn't stable at 3200MHz so I RMA'd it. The replacement also isn't stable at 3200MHz.

---

Oh I get it now. You bought it as a bundle and expect the ram to be fully compatible. Fair enough.

In that case speak to OcUK.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Have you tried increasing the VCORE in the BIOS at all? Just a tiny bit.

I bought the CL14 16GB pack and that did work at 3200 out the box using XMP but I always wanted to run it faster than that if I could anyway.

As I said before, try the Ryzen DRAM Calculator and make sure you select the right RAM type and you’ll get there.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Easy 'fix', set it at XMP/DOCP then drop the speed to 2933 (possibly 3066) and it will more than likely be fine.

If you want 3200, then as mentioned by others be prepared to grab Ryzen Memory Calc and start entering all the timings and sub timings manually.

Associate
@StickJocky - apologies if already answered, but just skim read this and first thing that occurred is, are the two sticks in the correct memory slots?

Its a bit counter-intuitive, but on X370/X470 (and presumably B350/B450) boards, the recommended slots for a pair of sticks are A2 and B2 first, only using A1 and B1 if you have four sticks of ram and need to populate all four slots.

If you're using A1 and B1 you'll find your maximum stable memory frequency is much lower than if you use A2 B2.

Associate
Did DOCP set voltages to 1.35v for memory? If not, set it yourself. If still unstable, bump it to 1.37v-1.4v. Ryzen 2 is miles better than Ryzen 1 in memory compatibility an clocks, but still is not perfect. Sometimes even most obvious combo/settings do not work, and most unlikely combos work. I have 4000Mhz Corsair ram which is nowhere listed as compatible with anything AMD, and while Ryzen 1800x had stability issues even at lowest settings, Ryzen 2700x booted at 3600Mhz without any problems. I now settled at 3466Mhz with a bit tighter settings.

Associate
Couple of my mates have 2700x chips but we're all running different boards. B450 MSI gaming plus was a bit funny with memory running xmp at stock settings for 3200 corsair lpx, other was fine with the OCUK x370 strix bundle and my taichi runs my ram at 3466 cl14 using xmp and just changing the ram speed... Dialed it in with the ryzen calc and it's slightly quicker on cinebench.

Associate
I also bought this bundle and have exactly the same issue, same with slightly increased voltages. So far I've not had much luck with manual ryzen dram calculator timings either.

Caporegime
Personally if I bought a bundle with advertised 3200Mhz RAM I'd be going back to who I bought it from. It shouldn't be in the bundle if it doesn't work at advertised speeds IMO.

Associate
Personally if I bought a bundle with advertised 3200Mhz RAM I'd be going back to who I bought it from. It shouldn't be in the bundle if it doesn't work at advertised speeds IMO.

Sounds like this is a pretty common issue then, as my mate bought the same bundle from here and could only get this ram working at 18-22-22-22-52

Does anyone know what IC this RAM uses, I know it's not Samsung b-die, guessing it's a Hynix variant?

Caporegime
Sounds like this is a pretty common issue then, as my mate bought the same bundle from here and could only get this ram working at 18-22-22-22-52

Does anyone know what IC this RAM uses, I know it's not Samsung b-die, guessing it's a Hynix variant?

No I'm saying IF this happened to me I'd contact OcUK. If it's sold in a bundle as 3200 RAM, I'd expect it to work as advertised.

Associate
No I'm saying IF this happened to me I'd contact OcUK. If it's sold in a bundle as 3200 RAM, I'd expect it to work as advertised.

Yeah understand that and totally agree, there shouldn't be any faffing about required with manually entering in timings that's for sure, or at the very worst, include a bit of paper with the manual timings to get it stable at 3200MHz.

Associate
You've not done what my mate did and leave it on default settings on the calc? He was trying to use Samsung b-die based timings on Hynix memory...

No :) I've used the Thaiphoon export/import workflow to get the following for 1.3.1 of the calculator:
GvsYXu9.png
And for 1.4.0:
2wQgIb1.png

Which are obviously quite different in terms of timings

That's not to say I haven't cocked it up some other way.

Associate

It's the Samsung S-die according to Thaiphoon

9rQfRTN.jpg

And for your reference StickJocky - my current stable timings of 16, 16, 16, 34 @ 3000:

6SDiOso.jpg

I'll keep trying to improve on these and update if I achieve better

OcUK Staff
Remember always with ryzen when you overclock memory you overclock at one to one ratio the infinity fabric also. So if your imc is not strong enough to run 3200 or your infinity fabric is not strong enough to run 3200 then it's not going to work whatever you choose... The most flexible and working 99% of the time is b die I such as those used in 8Pack sticks because it can run very flexible timings during training and is tweakable pretty easy. Hynix bssed ram is fine with strong imc and good board other than that it's a lottery...

Associate
Remember always with ryzen when you overclock memory you overclock at one to one ratio the infinity fabric also. So if your imc is not strong enough to run 3200 or your infinity fabric is not strong enough to run 3200 then it's not going to work whatever you choose... The most flexible and working 99% of the time is b die I such as those used in 8Pack sticks because it can run very flexible timings during training and is tweakable pretty easy. Hynix bssed ram is fine with strong imc and good board other than that it's a lottery...

Is there a way to find out what IC's memory chips run for some of the Corsair LPX and Team Group (non b-die) are running for Ryzen calculator?

Back
Top Bottom