Need help figuring out if i'm going deaf or my schiit stack has a problem

Soldato
Hi,

I've hooked up and schiit modi multibit/magni 3 to my pc, via a asus xonar essence stx but the sound levels i'm getting out of it are so poor i figure i'm either going deaf (which i doubt), i've got issues with the multibit/magni 3 or i've totally misunderstood what i should be getting from the setup.

I've also tried it hooked up to onboard sound, this is all via the optical input.

using foobar 2000 as the media player, i have the app volume at 100%, pc sound is at 100% and the amp is around 3-4 o'clock on the dial, but the volumes isn't what i would call loud.

headphones i've using are the akg k7xx and hifiman he400i

Am i missing something obvious ?

cheers,

mark

Soldato
That obvious could be some gain control set to low in amp...
If it isn't that then it sure sounds like there's something seriously wrong.

Soldato
Would check the other things the guys mentioned, does sound odd but can depend on what your listening too.

Using my Modi and Magni stack, 3-4 oclock was my normal listing point (low gain), even on low gain with my headphones, inc the AKG 712's and was fine volume wise. Would try high gain however and can you connect the PC direct to the stack rather then your Xonar card? (not sure if that will make a difference) I just had my stack connected via optical when I had it and do so for my current setup.

Soldato
OP
tried hi gain, noticed it was a giving a little more, but the music sounded a bit "duller".

connected to on board sound and no difference.

will look into trying usb, just need to find a cable that fits.

Associate
Have you selected the 'Digital Output' in windows? I had a similar problem on my Asus Xonar D2X, for some reason it had switched to a different output.

Click the speaker icon in the system tray and it should say something like 'Digital Output (name of your soundcard)', if it says 'Speakers (name of your soundcard)' click the arrow to expand the list and see if you can select the Digital Output option.

Soldato
OP
managed to get hold of a usb cable, not any noticeable difference to the other connections.

the digital output is selected from what i can see.

might just be me, but with the extra added hardware i wouldn't expect to have the volume on max for the app/pc to get decently loud music, am i expecting to much for what the stack can provide ?

Soldato
OP
What is the volume level like compared to connecting the headphones to the Xonar?

slighlty better, but not enough to make much difference, wanted more for the headphones and saw the recommendations around here and elsewhere on the stack.

Using my Multibit & Magni 3 stack with my HE400i and DT1990, the volume is set to around 10 o'clock on low gain and it's plenty loud enough.

if i had that setting i'd be able to hear the music but it wouldn't be loud enough to enjoy.

what setting do you have the music app & pc set to for the 10 o'clock levels ?

what apps are people using to listen to their music ?

Soldato
I don't think the problem is specifically the Schiit then, because the highest gain setting for the Xonar Essence is 18dB; for the Schiit Magni, it's 17dB.

I've used a Xonar Essence with HD600 headphones and with 18dB gain and 100% volume, it would be unbearable.

Either there is an audio issue possibly with Windows causing all audio to be lower than expected, or you have indestructible insensitive hearing. :p

Best way to find out if it's the PC causing the problem (assuming there is one), would be to connect the Schiit stack to anything with optical out; TV or DVD/BD player for example.

If it's no different, then it must be your hearing that is accustomed to what most would call unbearably loud sound; similar to those people that eat ridiculously hot chillis and don't break a sweat. :p

Soldato
you'll want the music app / windows volume (digital) set to 100% so that the Modi Multibit gets the full input signal. Volume would then be adjusted on the Magni 3 in the analogue domain.

Soldato
OP
you'll want the music app / windows volume (digital) set to 100% so that the Modi Multibit gets the full input signal. Volume would then be adjusted on the Magni 3 in the analogue domain.

ahhh ok, cheers for that.

Best way to find out if it's the PC causing the problem (assuming there is one), would be to connect the Schiit stack to anything with optical out; TV or DVD/BD player for example.

haven't got anything to try :(, will see if i can borrow something.

Associate
Im the Same as the O.P i have to have mine quite high cause i like me music fairly loud people who use low gain must have really good hearing. Think mine isn't the best hearing. Ive ordered the LYR 3 for my LCD2-C's. There is fair few that do say about the Magni not been loud enough. I think its more of a hearing then the Magni though. It goes on recordings though i listen to 320mp3's and also tidal some mp3 you will find you will turn the pot slightly higher. Tidal is different mines at around 1oclock for me to enjoy the music

Last edited:
Soldato
An amp with a higher gain will certainly help, if the OP and yourself don't find the Magni is loud enough.

At a quick glance though, only the Ragnarok has a noticeably higher gain setting (26dB), but that's £1500.

I do wonder if there are any amps from other companies that offer significantly higher gain, without being expensive. I'm no expert on headphone amps, but maybe; with great power, comes great cost. :p

Soldato
Honestly, I suggest you two buy a cheap SPL meter off of eBay and actually measure the output in dB from these headphones.

That will definitively answer if you're just destroying your ears or not.

Soldato
OP
at my age my ears are shot, didn't have all this health and safety involved at concerts when i was a youngster :D

i'm not talking about wanting it that loud, i'm just after enough that i'm comfortable with it and the listening is enjoyable.

i have speakers that i use for background noise, but when i want to really enjoy my music i slap the headphones on and turn the volume up, it's the reason i've spent a little money on getting something put together that i was hoping would help.

i know my range isn't great but not aware that its overall that bad, can hear what people say most the time, as long as they don't mumble, without having to resort to "Eh ??, what did you say........" :)

Soldato
You could use an SPL app on a smartphone to get some idea of what dB your headphones are reaching. Whether that would be any less accurate than a cheap SPL meter, I don't know.

A friend of mine loves loud volume when he uses his headphones (Sennheiser HD25); far greater than anything I can stand.

He reckons he has wrecked his hearing though from many years DJ'ing in a nightclub.

Soldato
I suppose there is no point in me trying my setup to compare, because of different headphones and DAC/amp.

Nonetheless though; the only thing I can say, is that my HD600's get to 80dB with the volume knob at 11 oclock on my Topping D2. 3 oclock position is about 100db

Gain of the D2 is about 15dB IIRC, although the power into 300 Ohms is nowhere close to that of the Magni.

I think only someone with similar 62 Ohm AKG's; 701/702/712/7xx and a Schiit Modi/Magni can give a fair comparison to what you're getting with you setup.

Back
Top Bottom