Recomendations for a cheapish open backed headset at around the £40 mark.

bru

bru

Soldato
As the title I'm looking for a new headset, preferable open backed.
Looking to spend somewhere around the £40-50 mark.
I understand that the HyperX cloud stinger is a good set but it is closed back so not really what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I don't think you'll find open headsets.
As rule they use more fashionable closed design, good for easily allowing strong bass and challenge for general sound quality.

But you can get open headphones.
Superlux has some with very good sound for price.
Like HD330, though stock ear pads aren't that great.

Then there's Takstar 2050, base of QPAD QH85.
Which is only open design headset from gaming brands I know.

Soldato
I've seen a cheap Roccat headset that is open, but I'd say it's more important to get a headset worth having than it is to get a headset just because it's open.

Can I ask why you'd prefer open?

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Because I know how irritating it is to have to flash my sons bedroom light to get his attention, when he is using his hyper X cloud headset, so I thought open backed would alleviate that problem.

Quite willing to go closed backed if a decent recommendation is made.

Thanks in advance.:)

Soldato
Fair enough. Some people say they'd prefer open because they've heard it gives better sound. Generally, open headphones/headset sounding better mostly applies to those at a higher budget.

Choice is pretty slim for open back headsets, even more so at the lower price point. Can't see much other than Roccat Renga. 3* from 31 reviews with more 1* than 5* on a certain website, doesn't inspire much confidence that they are any good.

HyperX Cloud Stinger, is likely a better buy, even though they are closed back. However; while the Stinger carries the HyperX brand, they likely aren't as good as the Cloud I/II, which are based on Takstar headphones; but at this budget they maybe as good as you can get without looking at headphones.

Headphones will offer better sound, but if you really need a microphone, then it's difficult to do any better than the aforementioned headsets, unless you use a separate microphone.

With many headsets, you pay extra for bling and brand names, and even some of the more expensive ones aren't overly good. With cheap headsets, they break, then the user goes and buys another one. Maybe manufacturers see gamers as suckers who will keep buying products that break; otherwise, I don't know why similar price and cheaper headphones offer better quality all round; except minus the microphone of course.

Superlux HD330 are good cheap open headphones with plenty of good comments that look very similar to Beyerdynamic headphones. With delivery they can be had for £35 from a German company. I'd imagine they'd trounce any similar priced headset for sound and build quality.

Soldato
Because I know how irritating it is to have to flash my sons bedroom light to get his attention, when he is using his hyper X cloud headset, so I thought open backed would alleviate that problem
If mic is needed there are cheap mics like Zalman ZM-MIC1 which could be used with normal headphones.
No doubt there are many others, especially if you search for "lavalier" mic.

Sound quality wise certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend Superlux HD-330.
It's pretty much step behind Beyerdynamic DT990 in soundstage size with binaural sound.
Except for some QPAD QH1339 (rebranded Beyer MMX300) it would likely beat pretty much any closed design gaming brand headset.
At least my sample just needed toward 10h of burn in to wake up mids and most of treble...

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Thank you all who posted, I've gone with the HyperX cloud alphas and my son is paying half as a extra chrimbo present.
I know they are not open backed but after reading loads of reviews and other suggestions they seem to be a good headset.
My son has the HyperX cloud and he has been very happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom