• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
any of you ladies using a rift? thinking i might maybe grab one if a decent chrimbo sale materialises but no idea how the vega64 handles vr
got a rift with a flashed 56, works well no issues. a recommendation though is to use a 4kdp to hdmi adapter soemthing like the csl one, to save the hdmi pins being bent on the rift cable. as in unplug the dp from the machine rather than the hdmi cable from the rift cable, from the machine to save wear and tear. oculus replaced my cable but was a royal pain.

Last edited:
Associate
Something I've noticed recently, so far I've seen this with Star Citizen and Stormworks: Build and Rescue: when I have vsync on my framerate caps at a lowly 38 fps, and when I turn vsync off it shoots up to whatever the GPU is capable of. I'm on the 18.11.2 drivers, Freesync 3440x1440 monitor with a range of 42-75 fps, Freesync is on. I initially thought it was just SC being silly, but then I noticed this other game doing the exact same thing. I'm not sure if it's the drivers, or if it's Vega, or something related to these particular games (or maybe even a combination of).

There are no frame rate caps in place that I can tell (not Rivatuner, not FRTC, nothing) that might limit the frame rate.

Anyone else seeing this? I'll have to try some other games as well I guess, but Assassins Creed: Odyssey didn't do this (now done with the game though).

Associate
Something I've noticed recently, so far I've seen this with Star Citizen and Stormworks: Build and Rescue: when I have vsync on my framerate caps at a lowly 38 fps, and when I turn vsync off it shoots up to whatever the GPU is capable of. I'm on the 18.11.2 drivers, Freesync 3440x1440 monitor with a range of 42-75 fps, Freesync is on. I initially thought it was just SC being silly, but then I noticed this other game doing the exact same thing. I'm not sure if it's the drivers, or if it's Vega, or something related to these particular games (or maybe even a combination of).

There are no frame rate caps in place that I can tell (not Rivatuner, not FRTC, nothing) that might limit the frame rate.

Anyone else seeing this? I'll have to try some other games as well I guess, but Assassins Creed: Odyssey didn't do this (now done with the game though).
Sounds like double buffering to me, try triple buffering.

Associate

disable vsync and use chill instead, set the min and max to whatever you want, make sure they are the same. the cap will re enable itself, disable it then test. should work much better. no need to use vsync at all.

Associate
Sounds like double buffering to me, try triple buffering.

That's an OpenGL only setting though.

disable vsync and use chill instead, set the min and max to whatever you want, make sure they are the same. the cap will re enable itself, disable it then test. should work much better. no need to use vsync at all.

Well, that works for SC at least, got to admit I've never used Chill before. Thanks for that :)

It doesn't help with an answer as to why enabling vsync now limits my fps to 38 though, or whether anyone else is seeing that as well. :(

Associate
Has to put my Vega Nitro+ 64 back to balanced, can't get it game stable at all :( got my ch6 running my 1700 @ 3.9 1.43v so I'm sure the chips getting enough power, rams at 3200mhz @ 1.4v so I'm fairly certain that's fine as well.

Card runs fine at balanced, and I can OC it fine and it will pass Timespy no issues at all, but fire up Path of Exile and it will crash randomly, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after an hour, really frustrating.

Put the card to balanced and it's fine.

This is with the latest driver...

Tempted to leave it like this now until the big december driver that has rumoured to contain an auto OC UV mode.

It's a great card, Extremely quiet and looks good but it's so damn fussy about settings lol

I've lost the patience to fine tune the damn thing, just want to play games without the drama of crashes

Soldato
Has to put my Vega Nitro+ 64 back to balanced, can't get it game stable at all :( got my ch6 running my 1700 @ 3.9 1.43v so I'm sure the chips getting enough power, rams at 3200mhz @ 1.4v so I'm fairly certain that's fine as well.

Card runs fine at balanced, and I can OC it fine and it will pass Timespy no issues at all, but fire up Path of Exile and it will crash randomly, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after an hour, really frustrating.

Tempted to leave it like this now until the big december driver that has rumoured to contain an auto OC UV mode.

It's a great card, Extremely quiet and looks good but it's so damn fussy about settings lol

I've lost the patience to fine tune the damn thing, just want to play games without the drama of crashes

You do know you can create power/settings profile per game yes and is a "fire and forget" after that. Just make sure you save them away from the default folders, so when you wipe the drivers you can load them back again.

Example.
I have my PDX (CK2, EU4, Stellaris, HOI 4) games working on power save mode and 60fps cap as they are not graphic demanding.
WOT, WOWs etc competitive (and new games) games are running on max OC/undervolted settings with 144fps cap.
ESO and SWG running on undervolted settings, only with HBM overclock but P7 is set as minimum speed. (otherwise both game work at sub 700 core and 145 HBM speed and very low fps and is down to the Hero engine)
POE is running on Balanced mode with 75fps cap. The engine cannot take it, and is not Vega or AMD. Is the crap engine. Had issues with this game with the GTX1080ti also and had activated 60fps vsync.

Permabanned

you could always see if it's your system or not .. just go stock and overclock the card .. takes 10 mins .. then you will know for sure..
btw 1.43v on a 1700 to get 3.9 is not good ..

Associate
you could always see if it's your system or not .. just go stock and overclock the card .. takes 10 mins .. then you will know for sure..
btw 1.43v on a 1700 to get 3.9 is not good ..

Yeah I had a play with the OC this morning I'm now at 1.37v for 3.9.

Run Prime95 for an hour and it's fine, never went over 55c.

Can't get the ram over 3200mhz but I'm not bothered.

Run a few loops of Cinebench and it's sitting at 1717 score so I'm happy with that.

Going to see if the fast start things enabled and if so disable it, reinstall motherboard and AMD drivers, DDU and reinstall GPU drivers then work on getting the card stable

Associate
Just updated my crusty old (from 2009!) system:

Q9550
Biostar T Power i45
2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-8500C5 TwinX

To

Ryzen 5 1600X
Asus Prime B350 Plus
Hyper X 16GB 2400MHz Fury DDR4 (2x 8GB)

Sourced an RX580 which I used for a month or so, not quite powerful enough. So I ordered a GTX1070 TI, unfortunately this failed to be recognised by this motherboard. I spent hours trying to get it work, but no luck, so RMA-ed back to the supplier for a credit. Then noticed a special deal on this little beast VEGA 64 and pulled the trigger. Tested on 3D Mark (Fire Strike) total score 16712 (Graphics 21749 - Physics 16062) and pretty happy so far :)

Back
Top Bottom